|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:15 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: After a 125 bike |
 |
|
Hi, I'm currently looking for a 125cc bike and haven't managed to find the bike of my dreams just yet... however, I came across a Megelli Motard 125 for £1,600 from a local dealer with less than 600 miles on the clocks... Seems a little odd to me. Anyone got any experience with them? Here's a pic:
https://i31.tinypic.com/2eclovk.jpg
I've always, ALWAYS been told to stick to a bike with a good make so I need some advice It seems ok to me, after all it's a British brand but it's all assembled in Asia but I suppose most bikes are these days... I hear it's a little under-powered compared to most bikes too, top speed of 75mph etc. Also, usually snide bikes have Honda engines in, and this doesn't Not sure if that's good or bad. I may go along and check it out tomorrow with a few mates. It's a nice looking bike really and within my price range, just a shame it's a questionable brand really
Cheers for reading 
Last edited by Irn-Bru on 16:16 - 17 Aug 2009; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cyberglass |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cyberglass World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:06 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
my advice would be to look for a known brand or something you can guarantee you can get parts for.
I had a honda ls125r import cracking bike but ended up being scrapped after an off destroyed the right footpeg and bent the front axle could not get parts anywhere so ended up having to get shut.
KAWASHIMA whos in japan is the only other person i know whos had an ls125r and even he struggled to get parts.
stick with UK models and know brands just to be safe
Have a look at 2002+ DT125Rs good bike with loads of good reviews well worth looking into.
Out of interest what is the frame like on that thing.? seems a bit flimsy like a pedal bike would have might just be the picture though. ____________________ DL650 Vstrom 2004
DRZ400S 2003
Yamaha R1 2005 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:58 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://www.megelli.com/supermoto.shtml
Looks of info there. The frame thing seems to be their trademark, but a lot of people say they're copying KTM :p
I'm not a fan of going to a new make (sway away from my beloved Yamaha ) but I'm having trouble finding 125's.
Only other option I have now is a 2007 Yamaha XT125X with 3K on the clocks for £1,700... only thing is, I emailed the bloke last night (the ad was a month old) and he said it was stolen. The damage was only minor he says, but the price will drop to £1,500. It's something to consider, especially as if I bring my dad along he could get more money off.
So, a Chinese-y bike, or an ex-stolen one? :p |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cyberglass |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cyberglass World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:50 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:04 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah but they're no where near me I was after something within say.. 40 miles of Newcastle really.
I've been checking ebay, auto trader and pistonheads so far.
Cheers. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rubber toe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rubber toe Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 21 May 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:57 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know, that's what I was thinking. The bloke said the previous owner had fallen off, but I think only the plastics were damaged. I'll find out tomorrow with my dad - I'll get it started and have a good look around too. It's missing the front indicators and a front panel too, but the shop has them, they just aren't fitted yet.
Also, I forgot to mention... I went to see the Megelli Motard 125 today and it was fricken horrible Just seemed like terrible build quality to be. The seat was all narrow too. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Noxious89123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Noxious89123 World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jun 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:36 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
THe DT looks like a good deal, but first impressions can be deceiving. Make sure you take you time and go over everything, make sure you won't get any surprises when you start noticing things when you get it home!
Like I've done with every vehicle I've ever owned.
It's a 2T, so the engine is simple to service. So long as nothing like the forks or frame are bent from the drop, it should be fine.
I got my CBR125 for £1800 (Used to be about £2600 new iirc?) with 500 miles on. Looked ok at first, but started noticing things. Main thing was when i had it serviced and the mechanic showed me one clip-on was closer to the tank than the other, as it'd bent when the bike was dropped. £20 for a new one, sorted. All in all, I still got a bargain. Sold it for £1300 after dropping it 3 times, and putting nearly 8k on it in less than a year.  ____________________
'06 Honda CBR125RW-6 ~ '00 Honda CBR600F-Y ~ '07 Honda CBR600RR-7 ~ Bikeless
'53 Ford Ka 1.3 ~ '03 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 ~ '52 Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.2 ~ '53 Vauxhall Astra GSi |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:42 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
nice
Well, me, my dad and my little brother are going along tomorrow to go over it and ask as many questions as we can. Then hopefully leave a deposit Got all the money sorted now just incase. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Noxious89123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Noxious89123 World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jun 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:28 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cool
Be cheeky and see if you can knock the price down a bit. It's always worth a go Don't seem too overly keen to buy it, else they'll know they don't need to bump the price down to get you to buy it. ____________________
'06 Honda CBR125RW-6 ~ '00 Honda CBR600F-Y ~ '07 Honda CBR600RR-7 ~ Bikeless
'53 Ford Ka 1.3 ~ '03 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 ~ '52 Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.2 ~ '53 Vauxhall Astra GSi |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:31 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Aye, well I'll get my dad to do the talking, he's good with that sort of stuff I'd be chuffed with £100 off the price to be honest!
There's some stuff we can use to get the price down anyway. For one, one of the plastic panels isn't attached at the front and there's no indicators on the front or back either Apparently he has all the parts in the shop, just not fitted yet.
Looks like I'll be off to Halfords for some 2-stroke oil, indicators and L-plates.
Can anyone else spot anything worth mentioning on the bike? I didn't even noticed the lack of indicators until just now!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| That_Hornet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 That_Hornet World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:41 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I sold my dt to some french dude for £1600 and he also had my lock and cover for £50. It was 05 and had 12k on the clock.
I would snatch that one up for sure. Awesome little bikes.
Might wanna look on here for some tips
https://dtr125.net/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:44 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers
I'm actually excited now haha My luck is bloody awful though, I'll go along tomorrow and someone will have beat me to it Only reason I ever got my scooter (current ride) is because I was sick to death of losing out on smashing deals like this DT I'm after. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| That_Hornet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 That_Hornet World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:59 - 17 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ride up now and camp outside  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| That_Hornet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 That_Hornet World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 06:56 - 18 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
RE's have 6 gears  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 07:46 - 18 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Decent
Can't wait till it snows and I'm out on this!!! I used to have to ride to college (well, it was my own choice, I'd rather fall off it then use the bus) on my scooter Scooters don't like snow very much. Didn't help that some wanker let my back tyre down aswell... any of the chavs at college touch the DT and heads will roll! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| That_Hornet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 That_Hornet World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 08:17 - 18 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
DT' are so fun in the snow. It was the only time i ever overtook a gixxer thou.
it's good if you can find some green lanes aswell  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:46 - 18 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
aye, but as usual I'm getting ahead of myself, looking into a new exhaust etc... could go along and it be gone for all I know
Should be going for it soon, if only my dad would reply to my texts. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:44 - 18 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry to double-post but I just wanted to say I put down a deposit for the Yamaha DT 125 R. I'll be paying the rest and picking it up tomorrow.
Bought some indicators for it today too, and some 2-stroke. I'll need insurance sorted out though. Either the guy in the shop will sort the tax out (and charge me for it still, tight git ) or my dad will use his auto traders insurance or whatever it's called.
Insurance quotes were dodgy, TPFT was going to cost over a grand - I think £1,500+ but TPO is only going to cost me £239 with breakdown coverage. Not bad considering my 06 scooter cost me £245 a year. Suppose it's because I'm a year older now (19). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cyberglass |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cyberglass World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:41 - 18 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Great buy mate told you holding out a few more days would pay off
Make sure you buy some big assed chains and get it fitted with an alarm.
Unfortunatly your have entered the DT crowd which means every bike theiving pikey has your number.
Again congrats your gonna love the DT
ride safe  ____________________ DL650 Vstrom 2004
DRZ400S 2003
Yamaha R1 2005 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:48 - 18 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers
Yep, that's exactly why I want to keep it in the house. Parent's aren't having any of it though... I'll find a way past that
I've got a huge chain, a bike chain thing (not very thick), 2 U-locks and a disk lock. That should do it for when I'm at college...
If a chav can manage to let the air out of my scooter's tyre, it wouldn't surprise me if people didn't say anything while someone lifted my bike into the back of a transit  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| That_Hornet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 That_Hornet World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:24 - 18 Aug 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Don't take no shit. Find out who let your tyres down, or if anything happens to the DT. Get them back twice as hard.
I like the idea of expanding foam down the exhaust pipe of a chavvy ped
As to insurance, if your not going to get theft cover (witch i strongly advise, being the type of bike you can throw around feilds) Get something like the almax for upmost security. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|