Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


After a 125 bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:15 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: After a 125 bike Reply with quote

Hi, I'm currently looking for a 125cc bike and haven't managed to find the bike of my dreams just yet... however, I came across a Megelli Motard 125 for £1,600 from a local dealer with less than 600 miles on the clocks... Seems a little odd to me. Anyone got any experience with them? Here's a pic:

https://i31.tinypic.com/2eclovk.jpg

I've always, ALWAYS been told to stick to a bike with a good make so I need some advice Thumbs Up It seems ok to me, after all it's a British brand but it's all assembled in Asia but I suppose most bikes are these days... I hear it's a little under-powered compared to most bikes too, top speed of 75mph etc. Also, usually snide bikes have Honda engines in, and this doesn't Confused Not sure if that's good or bad. I may go along and check it out tomorrow with a few mates. It's a nice looking bike really and within my price range, just a shame it's a questionable brand really Thumbs Down

Cheers for reading Smile


Last edited by Irn-Bru on 16:16 - 17 Aug 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:37 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t thin they are that bad better than the chinese junk but not up to jap standards, looks like a tasty bike for the money.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cyberglass
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:06 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice would be to look for a known brand or something you can guarantee you can get parts for.

I had a honda ls125r import cracking bike but ended up being scrapped after an off destroyed the right footpeg and bent the front axle could not get parts anywhere so ended up having to get shut.

KAWASHIMA whos in japan is the only other person i know whos had an ls125r and even he struggled to get parts.


stick with UK models and know brands just to be safe Thumbs Up




Have a look at 2002+ DT125Rs good bike with loads of good reviews well worth looking into.


Out of interest what is the frame like on that thing.? seems a bit flimsy like a pedal bike would have might just be the picture though.
____________________
DL650 Vstrom 2004
DRZ400S 2003
Yamaha R1 2005
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.megelli.com/supermoto.shtml

Looks of info there. The frame thing seems to be their trademark, but a lot of people say they're copying KTM :p

I'm not a fan of going to a new make (sway away from my beloved Yamaha Shocked ) but I'm having trouble finding 125's.

Only other option I have now is a 2007 Yamaha XT125X with 3K on the clocks for £1,700... only thing is, I emailed the bloke last night (the ad was a month old) and he said it was stolen. The damage was only minor he says, but the price will drop to £1,500. It's something to consider, especially as if I bring my dad along he could get more money off.

So, a Chinese-y bike, or an ex-stolen one? :p
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cyberglass
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:50 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither keep looking

Chinese will fall apart
Stolens probably been ragged to feck

Keep looking something will come along check the auto trader and ebay and MCNs for sale section

heres a couple of 2005 model xrs and a yammy xt on a 2007 plate i found without really looking all well within your budget which would leave enough to but a lid and stuff with

https://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/advert+search/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146-236,N-9-117-239/advert.action?R=200922335230966&distance=12&postcode=wn8+6tz&channel=BIKES&make=&model=&min_pr=1000&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2004&vehicleRegLetter=54

https://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/advert+search/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146-236,N-9-117-239/advert.action?R=200931338735053&distance=58&postcode=wn8+6tz&channel=BIKES&make=&model=&min_pr=1000&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2005&vehicleRegLetter=05

https://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/advert+search/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146-236,N-9-117-239/advert.action?R=200926336849023&distance=53&postcode=wn8+6tz&channel=BIKES&make=&model=&min_pr=1000&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2007&vehicleRegLetter=57
____________________
DL650 Vstrom 2004
DRZ400S 2003
Yamaha R1 2005
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:04 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but they're no where near me Sad I was after something within say.. 40 miles of Newcastle really.

I've been checking ebay, auto trader and pistonheads so far.

Cheers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i25.tinypic.com/3004s54.jpg

https://i25.tinypic.com/25hzkb6.jpg

https://i27.tinypic.com/hw9zqe.jpg

https://i26.tinypic.com/2i2ryr.jpg

Yamaha DT 125R, 07 plate, less than 2K miles on the clock - £1,495 Smile Think I've found the perfect bike.

What dya reckon mate?


Last edited by Irn-Bru on 15:46 - 18 Aug 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rubber toe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

that seems too good to be true but ya never know, hpi check methinks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, that's what I was thinking. The bloke said the previous owner had fallen off, but I think only the plastics were damaged. I'll find out tomorrow with my dad - I'll get it started and have a good look around too. It's missing the front indicators and a front panel too, but the shop has them, they just aren't fitted yet.

Also, I forgot to mention... I went to see the Megelli Motard 125 today and it was fricken horrible Embarassed Just seemed like terrible build quality to be. The seat was all narrow too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe DT looks like a good deal, but first impressions can be deceiving. Make sure you take you time and go over everything, make sure you won't get any surprises when you start noticing things when you get it home!

Like I've done with every vehicle I've ever owned. Embarassed

It's a 2T, so the engine is simple to service. So long as nothing like the forks or frame are bent from the drop, it should be fine.

I got my CBR125 for £1800 (Used to be about £2600 new iirc?) with 500 miles on. Looked ok at first, but started noticing things. Main thing was when i had it serviced and the mechanic showed me one clip-on was closer to the tank than the other, as it'd bent when the bike was dropped. £20 for a new one, sorted. All in all, I still got a bargain. Sold it for £1300 after dropping it 3 times, and putting nearly 8k on it in less than a year. Smile
____________________
'06 Honda CBR125RW-6 ~ '00 Honda CBR600F-Y ~ '07 Honda CBR600RR-7 ~ Bikeless Sad
'53 Ford Ka 1.3 ~ '03 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 ~ '52 Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.2 ~ '53 Vauxhall Astra GSi
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice Smile

Well, me, my dad and my little brother are going along tomorrow to go over it and ask as many questions as we can. Then hopefully leave a deposit Smile Got all the money sorted now just incase.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Smile

Be cheeky and see if you can knock the price down a bit. It's always worth a go Thumbs Up Don't seem too overly keen to buy it, else they'll know they don't need to bump the price down to get you to buy it.
____________________
'06 Honda CBR125RW-6 ~ '00 Honda CBR600F-Y ~ '07 Honda CBR600RR-7 ~ Bikeless Sad
'53 Ford Ka 1.3 ~ '03 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 ~ '52 Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.2 ~ '53 Vauxhall Astra GSi
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, well I'll get my dad to do the talking, he's good with that sort of stuff Wink I'd be chuffed with £100 off the price to be honest!

There's some stuff we can use to get the price down anyway. For one, one of the plastic panels isn't attached at the front and there's no indicators on the front or back either Shocked Apparently he has all the parts in the shop, just not fitted yet.

Looks like I'll be off to Halfords for some 2-stroke oil, indicators and L-plates.

Can anyone else spot anything worth mentioning on the bike? I didn't even noticed the lack of indicators until just now!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my dt to some french dude for £1600 and he also had my lock and cover for £50. Thumbs Up It was 05 and had 12k on the clock.

I would snatch that one up for sure. Awesome little bikes. Thumbs Up

Might wanna look on here for some tips

https://dtr125.net/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Smile

I'm actually excited now haha My luck is bloody awful though, I'll go along tomorrow and someone will have beat me to it Rolling Eyes Only reason I ever got my scooter (current ride) is because I was sick to death of losing out on smashing deals like this DT I'm after.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride up now and camp outside Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 17 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha I'm tempted :p

Cheers for the link to that site aswell, packed full of info!!! I didn't even know it was water cooled, although it seems obvious when I think about it. Another thing to keep an eye on though! Don't want it over heating.

EDIT: is it a 6-speed btw? I'm reading conflicting info I think, I thought it was 5.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:56 - 18 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE's have 6 gears Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:46 - 18 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent Smile

Can't wait till it snows and I'm out on this!!! I used to have to ride to college (well, it was my own choice, I'd rather fall off it then use the bus) on my scooter Shocked Shocked Shocked Scooters don't like snow very much. Didn't help that some wanker let my back tyre down aswell... any of the chavs at college touch the DT and heads will roll!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:17 - 18 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT' are so fun in the snow. It was the only time i ever overtook a gixxer thou. Laughing

it's good if you can find some green lanes aswell Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:46 - 18 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, but as usual I'm getting ahead of myself, looking into a new exhaust etc... could go along and it be gone for all I know Mad

Should be going for it soon, if only my dad would reply to my texts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 18 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to double-post but I just wanted to say I put down a deposit for the Yamaha DT 125 R. I'll be paying the rest and picking it up tomorrow.

Bought some indicators for it today too, and some 2-stroke. I'll need insurance sorted out though. Either the guy in the shop will sort the tax out (and charge me for it still, tight git Sad ) or my dad will use his auto traders insurance or whatever it's called.

Insurance quotes were dodgy, TPFT was going to cost over a grand - I think £1,500+ but TPO is only going to cost me £239 with breakdown coverage. Not bad considering my 06 scooter cost me £245 a year. Suppose it's because I'm a year older now (19).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cyberglass
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 18 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great buy mate told you holding out a few more days would pay off Mr. Green

Make sure you buy some big assed chains and get it fitted with an alarm.

Unfortunatly your have entered the DT crowd which means every bike theiving pikey has your number. Very Happy


Again congrats your gonna love the DT
ride safe Thumbs Up
____________________
DL650 Vstrom 2004
DRZ400S 2003
Yamaha R1 2005
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 18 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Very Happy

Yep, that's exactly why I want to keep it in the house. Parent's aren't having any of it though... I'll find a way past that Laughing

I've got a huge chain, a bike chain thing (not very thick), 2 U-locks and a disk lock. That should do it for when I'm at college...

If a chav can manage to let the air out of my scooter's tyre, it wouldn't surprise me if people didn't say anything while someone lifted my bike into the back of a transit Rolling Eyes Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 18 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take no shit. Find out who let your tyres down, or if anything happens to the DT. Get them back twice as hard.

I like the idea of expanding foam down the exhaust pipe of a chavvy ped Twisted Evil Thumbs Up


As to insurance, if your not going to get theft cover (witch i strongly advise, being the type of bike you can throw around feilds) Get something like the almax for upmost security.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.73 Kb