Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Direct Access Course or 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

KZG0L1
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 03 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Direct Access Course or 125? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I completed the CBT a couple of weeks ago. Got my theory test booked for a weeks time.

My question at the moment is whether to use the money I have on instruction through a direct access course or spend it on a 125 bike and get some riding experience in before heading to an instructor for preparation for my test?

What would you advise? Should I go with a bike and get on the roads asap or should I go with an instructor where I wont have as much time riding but I will be making sure I'm not picking up bad habits?

any advice welcome

thanks
Chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wizzzard
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

If you drive already I would say DAS everytime as road sense is a very important part of riding and you should have some degree of that already.

If you don't drive then maybe a little while pootling around on a 125 would do you the world of good. You can usually pick up a used 125 at reasonable money and sell it on for maybe the same a few months down the line and then do your DAS.

Whichever you choose welcome to BCF Karma
____________________
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
Zeitgeist / Addendum / Moving forward
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS.

I'd never been on a bike other than on the CBT.

Like you was not sure what's the best option, in the meanwhile passed my theory and then decided on the DAS. Its the best thing I have ever done. You will not regret it!
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Re: Direct Access Course or 125? Reply with quote

KZG0L1 wrote:
...use the money I have on instruction through a direct access course or spend it on a 125 bike and get some riding experience in...

A vote for the DAS.

However, if you can find a cheap 125 plus drive already then maybe get one for commuting/practice then take the DAS. You'll find selling a 125 should be quite easy and you shouldn't loose much (if anything). However, coming to end of season soon (winter months where selling is harder and buying is cheaper).

If above paragraph not applicable or desirable then go for the DAS.

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KZG0L1
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 03 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,

Great advice. I have driven for years so the real challenge has been getting a feel for being on two wheels. I had never handled a geared bike before my CBT a couple of weeks ago so it's all very "new".

I think I will call my CBT instructor early next week and arrange some DAS instruction. If it looks like being a long drawn out process then maybe I can look at a 125 later?

cheers all, the second time this forum has given me good, solid advice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NotPamGrier
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol – this is exactly the situation I was in myself few weeks ago (did my CBT mid July).

I have gone down the ‘buy a 125 now’ and then will do my DAS early next spring – I am starting to regret the decision already! Finances were a big part of the decision – plus I do drive as well, so getting around wasn’t main factor – my future biking is all about fun!

Like you, when I did my CBT it was the first time I had ridden a bike, never mind a geared one – I was only ever been a pillion before that. After a few weeks of trying to work out what I should do I got myself a great little YBR125 and have spent the last few weekends and evenings going out to get practice and confidence on the road. Luckily I have a very good friend with the patience of a Saint who is willing to come out and suffer tootling around Bracknell with me at 50mph, demonstrating hill starts and reminding me when I have forgotten to cancel my turn signals.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my bike – but boy do I wish it had more power! I have managed to max it at 66mph downhill!

Saying all of that, I have never been happier than when I am out on my bike – even completed my first trip into work this morning without incident (just - Smile ).

(p.s. - theory test already booked.....)
____________________
only a ninja can sneak up on another ninja
------------------------------------------------------
YBR125 (sold) --> GS400E (sold) --> SV650s (my silver baby!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if you buy a 125, that money isn't gone. It's just tied up in a bike. Keep your 125 nice and you shouldn't lose much money on it at all, if any - there's always demand for these bikes.

If you only have £XXX to play with you can either spend £XXX on your DAS and not buy a bike or spand £XXX on a bike and ride it while you save up for your DAS. When you pass you can sell your 125 and buy a big bike with the cash.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely DAS - being free to choose any bike you want without the hassle of restriction kits and such is worth the fuss.

And don't worry about doing one of the intense four day courses - spread it out over 1 or 2 hour lessons instead if you like.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

defo das, like a lot of others cbt was my only riding experience before i booked my das

It was the best thing i have done in a long time, well worth it and my b1 zx6r makes me sex wee all over the yokes wahey!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ClaireBear
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 21 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the DAS- be worried about picking up bad habits otherwise Smile
Good luck with your theory. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ClaireBear
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 23 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the otherhand though, my local instructor also recommends leaving a bit of a gap between the cbt and das as its a lot to learn in a short amount of time.

Due to this and financial reasons I think I might give a 125cc a go for a while Confused but only for a while lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NotPamGrier
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 23 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - the difference, and confidence I now have, in my riding in only 2 weeks on the 125 is noticable.

I know that I am no-where near natural on the bike yet but I feel I am no longer a danger on the road (well not to myself anyway). Luckily mother nature has been kind the past few weeks and I have been able to get out and about in the evening and weekends to practice my clutch control, cornering etc.

I know that by the time I come to do my DAS I will find getting onto the big bike easier than if I had gone straight onto it following my CBT.

(If only I could get the YBR125 above 64mph I might be happier to stay on it longer.... Smile ...well maybe Wink
____________________
only a ninja can sneak up on another ninja
------------------------------------------------------
YBR125 (sold) --> GS400E (sold) --> SV650s (my silver baby!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 75.52 Kb