Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hi!! New to biking, but slight problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Hawke
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Aug 2009    Post subject: Hi!! New to biking, but slight problem Reply with quote

Hey everyone!! Mr. Green

I'm new to biking and new to the site, so just thought i'd say hi!! Smile

Just thought i'd ask for an opinion on the matter while i'm here: I did my CBT last week, however I had a bit of an issue Embarassed I understood all the theory of everything, that wasn't a problem, but when it came to riding properly i struggled with my co-ordination, trying to do everything at once...for the road bit my instructor put me out on a scooter (he said it would be better if I get my CBT regardless, so then I can practice myself and all that) and that was fine seeing as I had much less to think about.

I was considering getting something like a Gilera DNA 125 to get some practice on before moving up to a geared bike, or do you think it would be better if I bite the bullet and get myself a geared 125 bike and just practice until it all becomes second nature? And if so, what bike would you recommend? Smile

Obviously I don't want to do anything that is unduly dangerous (to myself or other road users), but I'm definitely not giving up!! Wink

Would appreciate any opinions on the matter.

Thanks!! Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 24 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8, welcome!

I did my CBT on a scooter and didn't get a bike untill 9 months afterwards but going for a geared bike was a very good decision, if you think about it, if your serious about biking then you're gonna have to have a geared bike at some point so you might aswell get it over with Wink . Plus, no-one likes the DNA lol Laughing

Have you got someone you can practice out on the road with? perhaps a mate or family member as that'll really help you alot. if you don't then i'd practice as much as possible off the road. Getting used to the clutch was my main problem, even though my uncle was riding with me at the time, i still managed to stall it at every set of traffic lights Embarassed .

Basically just make sure you can do the main things, moving off, stopping without stalling and changing gear etc and you should be fine

Rob Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wizzzard
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 24 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to BCF.

As I said in the other post of a similar subject I did my CBT on an auto and figured out the gears myself later. Some people just find it much easier without someone stood over their shoulder so you may find that they come to you really easy when you try them on your own.

If it's just a matter of co-ordination I'd say buy a geared bike and practice a lot somewhere safe. Once you get the hang of it you'll be glad that you didn't go auto.

Best of luck and not giving up is definitely the right spirit Thumbs Up
____________________
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
Zeitgeist / Addendum / Moving forward
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 24 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you get your CBT in the end?

If you're still not sure DON'T BUY ANYTHING but instead go back to the bike school and do a few lessons on their geared 125.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawke
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 24 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help!! Mr. Green Much appreciated.

From what you guys are saying, it sounds like getting a geared bike would definitely be the best way to go. I'm sure with enough practice i'll get the hang of it anyway Very Happy

Unfortunately Rob none of my family or friends ride (yet Wink), however I live in quite a remote area, so finding a safe place to practice shouldn't be too much of a problem Smile And you're right, I've got to learn at some point!

And wizzzard, I think you're probably right about the "having someone stood over your shoulder" thing, it probably would be a lot easier without Smile Makes sense, less pressure and all that Mr. Green

And yes, I did pass my CBT, I just did the road section on scooter rather that on a geared bike. (I know it's not a pass/fail thing but you know what I mean Razz)

So that settles it! I think I'll give a geared bike a go!! Now I need to decide which bike Confused Knowing me that could take a whiiiile...

Thanks again for all the help!! Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 24 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool m8, good to hear that you've decided to go for a geared bike Laughing

Good luck with the ol' practicing, and don't be poppin no wheelies on your first ride out haha Mr. Green

Rob Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Martay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 25 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
i done the same mate, not had a problem yet!
When i took my CBT the only experiance of a geared bike was stalling a friends CG125.
Took the CBT on a geared bike, and currently still riding one, 9 months later, with no major problems.
Just practice and it'll come to ya Smile
____________________
Eat well, poo hard Very Happy
Drives: Cavalier 2.0 16v
Rides: Slightly ratted Honda City Express Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawke
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 25 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob! Haha, I'll try to resist the urge!! Wink

Brilliant Martay, so it can be done! Razz And it'll definitely be worth it in the end! Very Happy

Thanks for the vote of confidence from you guys, can't wait to get my bike now!! Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Wilson123 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

gusto
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 26 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a geared bike but go back to your bike school for a day on one of their geared 125s - without the pressure to "pass" a CBT or test, you'll probably find you adjust really quickly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 2.17 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 68.56 Kb