Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Any pilots about?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 31 Aug 2009    Post subject: Any pilots about? Reply with quote

Anyone? I was looking into flying as a career and i'm trying to get as much info as possible, so if there's anyone about any help would be appreciated Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 31 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 1 hours air time
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 31 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 10 hours.

It all depends on how rich you are, and if you want to be pro or a recreational pilot

https://www.bestaviation.net/art_how_to_become_a_pilot_jaa.asp

You pay as you go basically, it could end up as much as 10 grand.

The good thing is, that when you get your PPL you can buy a plane...

And some are CHEAP!

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 31 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunc's flight hours are primarily flight from coming off the bike. Laughing.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:26 - 31 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into it and did a PPL a while back. A fair few people I trained with back in 06 are now starting off as commercial pilots. A good friend of mine is an FO for easyjet, and loves it.

However, first things first. We're in a recession, airlines are laying off, and given the cyclical nature of pilot hiring and firing, a new pilot probably won't have a shot of getting in with any airline for 5-7 years.

A quick run over the basics. Training takes two or three years, allowing for periods of work in between to have some semblance of money. It costs between £35k and £70k, depending how, when and where you train, and you have no gaurantee of a job at the end of it. A few each year get sponsored through the entire thing with CTC - they have to front little or no cash, but pay back a chunk of the funding out of their wages when placed with an airline. You won't get on this.

It's cheaper to train overseas, but make sure you're getting the right qualifications to use in the UK. Some US flying schools do them, I earned my PPL in the US. Do make sure you get plenty of hours in Europe too, seeing as you'll need to be familiar with the European way of doing things to fly here commercially. It's all a bit more lax in the US.

There's a lot I could go on about, so shout if you want to know more. In brief, you'll need to get about £50k, and no bank will loan you £50k for a career development loan these days. HSBC withdrew theirs in early 07 I think. Having spent around £50k and three years of your life, you're up against loads of other people in the same position. You could spend another £20k doing a type rating on a 737 or A320 and try to get a job with Ryanair, but there will be loads of people doing this too.

Of course, if you do manage all this, it's a fucking great job.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 31 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks robby some interesting stuff there Thumbs Up I looked into quite a few sites and they are saying everything you've just said, considering the timing and the cost (there's no way I could get 30k let alone 75k being a student Laughing ) I may give it a miss. One thing I'm definitely aiming for after uni is to apply for a course in air traffic control as it seems to match what I've got.

I may do a trial flight as well just to see what it would have been like Laughing
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:36 - 01 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to fly for fun then there are ways of doing this fairly cheaply. My PPL cost me around £4k in all, which covered a return flight to Florida, the PPL itself, accommodation, food, drink, and so much poon. I really can't express just how good it is being a half Irish, English accented pilot on Daytona beach on St Patrick's day, during spring break.

You can do a microlight NPPL over here and fly micros. Some of them look and handle just like a cessna 150, with a fraction of the weight. One of them cruises at 130mph and has a top speed of well over 150mph, from a 100hp air cooled motor.

You can get into paragliding for around £3k all in. This will pay for your training and equipment. Paragliding isn't regulated, so you could in theory just buy an old wing and jump off a cliff. Don't. A few people kill themselves doing that and it'll become regulated.


Air traffic control wise, you can do a course in it now? I applied back in 04 or 05, but I think I failed the personality test. The application process is something like 6 parts, only 2 of them interviews, and it's very testing. Again, you'll be competing with lots of people, even more now that it's a safe, well paid job in a recession. The money ranges from around £35k to £100k, depending on where you're stationed and how much overtime you do. Off the top of my head it takes 3-4 years to be qualified, half in their college on the south coast, and half on the job.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:24 - 01 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get the money I plan to learn to paraglide, looks great fun in my opinion.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 01 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I think I made it a bit confusing, I meant finish my uni course (Business and marketing) and then apply for the ATC so what you mentioned, the app process and the training.

What can you do with your PPL?
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:06 - 01 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
What can you do with your PPL?


Fly solo Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 01 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never, ever afford to fly in this country, and call myself captain.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I think I need to start working towards the ATC from now until I can apply so that my CV looks a little better Razz Not sure what to do though Thinking

It must be so cool though to say I can fly a plane all by my self Laughing Cool
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy1081
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 01 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always join the RAF and try and get a flying scolarship.

All the best

Jon.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:11 - 02 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
Air traffic control wise, you can do a course in it now? I applied back in 04 or 05, but I think I failed the personality test. The application process is something like 6 parts, only 2 of them interviews, and it's very testing. Again, you'll be competing with lots of people, even more now that it's a safe, well paid job in a recession. The money ranges from around £35k to £100k, depending on where you're stationed and how much overtime you do. Off the top of my head it takes 3-4 years to be qualified, half in their college on the south coast, and half on the job.


It's also one of the fastest routes to alcoholism & high blood pressure. I know 2 who each bought their own bar & they both drank the places into bankrupcy...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattd
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:43 - 02 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about 1500 hours on regional jets and TPs, so I can probably answer any questions you have Very Happy
____________________
Professional Hobo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rac3r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 02 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattd wrote:
I've got about 1500 hours on regional jets and TPs, so I can probably answer any questions you have Very Happy


Cool Cool I'm guessing you fly for a living? If you do then you've got one hell of a job Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I can't afford my CPL so after uni (couple of years) I'm going for ATC hopefully
____________________
Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636

Chequered Flag
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 02 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
mattd wrote:
I've got about 1500 hours on regional jets and TPs, so I can probably answer any questions you have Very Happy


Cool Cool I'm guessing you fly for a living? If you do then you've got one hell of a job Thumbs Up

Unfortunately I can't afford my CPL so after uni (couple of years) I'm going for ATC hopefully


Just Join the AAC, as ground personnel, after 3 years of hard work, and getting promoted to Cpl, you can apply to be a helicopter pilot Cool

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 98.08 Kb