Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


WR250F, is it really all that for green laning?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: WR250F, is it really all that for green laning? Reply with quote

Seems a clear fave is the WR250F (03on as leky start). But as such they seem to fetch a premium. Thumbs Down

Anyone had any experience with the WR250F? How would you say it compares to other bikes of the same idea you have ridden?
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: WR250F, is it really all that for green laning? Reply with quote

I've seen lots of good stuff about the WR250R for greenlaning, but it'll be even costlier as it's pretty new. (It's a new engine designed for trail rather than enduro use, so better 'everyday' though a bit heavier.)

Not much help I'm afraid otherwise. Have you checked the service intervals? I know the WR400 is supposed to be not bad for daily use, while the later ones have tighter service intervals due to titanium valves or something.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:36 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: WR250F, is it really all that for green laning? Reply with quote

G wrote:
I've seen lots of good stuff about the WR250R for greenlaning, but it'll be even costlier as it's pretty new. (It's a new engine designed for trail rather than enduro use, so better 'everyday' though a bit heavier.)

Not much help I'm afraid otherwise. Have you checked the service intervals? I know the WR400 is supposed to be not bad for daily use, while the later ones have tighter service intervals due to titanium valves or something.


I preume there is considerable weight gain on the 400? ... its supposed to be the weight that is the main asset of the 250 ...

I'd rather have longer service intervals/DIY servicing to power to be honest.

If there is little weight penalty (talking distribution now, not just overall mass) for a 400, and all you need to do is regular oil changes, then I'd favour one of those personally!! Thumbs Up
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: WR250F, is it really all that for green laning? Reply with quote

The 400 is one of the heavier enduro 400s, but you don't need to do too regular servicing. Think we're talking a claimed weight of 122kg or so, when the KTM/Husabergs etc are around 112kg and suspect the 250 is around this too.
Of course 'claimed' weight is a different matter.

Me, I'd go for a 250/300cc 2 stroke personally. You do miss out on engine braking, but you get a wide range of power, even lighter weight, long service intervals. Do need to keep some 2 stroke with you.
And they're more capable enduro bikes that can be used for motocross at a push too, while the heavier 4 strokes tend to be a bit too lardy.
Definitely have a go on one to see how you get on with them - if you haven't ridden a big 2 stroke enduro (as opposed to motocross) you might be surprised how flat and usable the power delivery is.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: WR250F, is it really all that for green laning? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Definitely have a go on one to see how you get on with them - if you haven't ridden a big 2 stroke enduro (as opposed to motocross) you might be surprised how flat and usable the power delivery is.


I blagged a go on 'tatters' CRM250 and was indeed surprised how flat the power was. It was sure footed and seemed low down weight too.


But they go back a fair ways now ... what are the chances of getting a 15+yr old 2-stroke that is still in good nick?
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Re: WR250F, is it really all that for green laning? Reply with quote

CRM250 is still pretty heavy. You can get the newer ones in good nick, but they're not nearly as capable as the EC/EXC from Gas Gas and KTM. These are what I'd be looking at and considering, personally.

I've got the 200 which has a very different character from the bigger bikes (it has a lot more issues going at a medium pace as it's basically a big-bore 125, though that does mean it's even lighter.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, was gonna say on sun if I got to spoke to you.. my mate whos just bought a new KTM is going to sell his 02 WR426... it's not electric start but its probably one of the best WR426's about. Recently been stripped and completely rebuilt, barely ridden since, frame was sprayed, all bearings/seals etc done recently. Engine has been professionally tuned (not to a high race standard, you'll have to ask him for more info) easiest bike to kick start I've ever used. I wish he had the fuckin thing for sale when I was looking for a bike! I've know him for years since hes had it and rode it a couple of times (right guess thats you no longer interested Laughing) and it's loveeeeeely

This price isn't guaranateed as I need to ask him properly if you're interested but I think he wanted £1500 for it in trail trim, I believe it also has all new plastics etc etc but again will have to check. It's had the dreaded WR gear problems fixed when rebuilt too.

Can get pics if ya interested.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
Oh yea, was gonna say on sun if I got to spoke to you.. my mate whos just bought a new KTM is going to sell his 02 WR426... it's not electric start but its probably one of the best WR426's about. Recently been stripped and completely rebuilt, barely ridden since, frame was sprayed, all bearings/seals etc done recently. Engine has been professionally tuned (not to a high race standard, you'll have to ask him for more info) easiest bike to kick start I've ever used. I wish he had the fuckin thing for sale when I was looking for a bike! I've know him for years since hes had it and rode it a couple of times (right guess thats you no longer interested Laughing) and it's loveeeeeely

This price isn't guaranateed as I need to ask him properly if you're interested but I think he wanted £1500 for it in trail trim, I believe it also has all new plastics etc etc but again will have to check. It's had the dreaded WR gear problems fixed when rebuilt too.

Can get pics if ya interested.


oh go on then, i'll have it! Smile
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ben_wheely
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 03 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my WR250, use it weekends for green laning / trf events (Enduro tracks / motocross tracks open and you can go your own pace)

And use it weekdays to get me to work (6-7 mile town ride)

And very occiasionly as a transport to get places a bit futher then work.

Change the oil every <1000 km's, and the valve clearences have been checked earlier this year and are due another check october(ish).

I came off a drz 400 and went onto my WR250, which was the best change ever, especially in the offroading scene.

Im not saying im a good rider, i think im average, ive only been offroading for about a year and a half. But my WR250 has given me so much more confidence, and has made me a quicker rider. Most of the guys i go out with are on WR/XR/CRF/EXC 400's/450's - only a handleful are on 250's, but my 250 always stays with them. On the technical stuff my bike glides past them, whilst they are stuck spinning up the back wheel Laughing

Saying this, i have never tried a 2-stroke, and i would like too. But in my current situation, i could not take a 2-stroke to work daily, as the bike is my principal means of transport.
____________________
Rides: '05 Yammy WR290-F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue, next time we're out together you're welcome to have a go on the Gasser just to see what it's like.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Blue, next time we're out together you're welcome to have a go on the Gasser just to see what it's like.


Ta Thumbs Up

Hopefully we can go out this weekend ... that is if I don't hurt myself Motocrossing at Golden Barn tomorrow!! Shocked Laughing
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue, just wanted to clarify as my post was slightly random... I'm not comparing the 426 to a 250... the 426 is the older shape, kick only and a lot faster engine wise. Personally I'd go 250 as I personally want something thats not massively fast, something smallish/light and turns quick, most importantly it needs a magic button! I mentioned the 426 as you sent me some emails asking about 426's so thought I'd mention it Smile

If my mates bike was a leccy start 250, I'd have bought it by now Smile
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leccy start would be very nice indeed, starting my old XR's could be a miserable experience when you've binned in it, knackered yourself out picking it up out of the mud and then kicking it half to death with no joy.

The Gasser starts easy 99% of the time but still I'd like a magic button.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Leccy start would be very nice indeed, starting my old XR's could be a miserable experience when you've binned in it, knackered yourself out picking it up out of the mud and then kicking it half to death with no joy.

The Gasser starts easy 99% of the time but still I'd like a magic button.


It really annoys me! The XR starts first time 95% of the time, but that 5% of the time it won't start is usually when I most need it to bluddy start! Laughing I would prob kick start the WR most of the time, but nice to have that button for when you're stuck half up a slope and can't reach the lever properly Laughing If I'm gonna change my bike, I'm gonna get the one I want .. the XR was only ever bought as a "see if ill actually ride it" bike as normally I buy expensive things and don't ride them Laughing

Oh yea, also blue, the same bloke whos selling the WR.. he hired a WR250F at tonymotos once, said it was a cracking bike, handled really well, was fairly quick and nice to ride for a 250. Thumbs Up

I'm hoping you buy one so I can have a go before I buy mine Laughing
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am back to buying a WR250F then as it has a lecky start!! Very Happy

Missed an 07 one on eBay earlier!! Sad
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ben_wheely
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 03 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till the 2010 one comes out
____________________
Rides: '05 Yammy WR290-F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a KTM 300EXC-E 2 stroke (with leccy start, not like you need it, but when you're on that slope the wrong side of the bike, still be nice Smile).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:13 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

rode the wr250f offroad.. felt like a 2 stroke.. brilliant bike imo. The one I rode had a rekluse clutch.
____________________
04' DT125RE (run-a-bout) // 89' DT125R (rebuilt + supermoto conversion)
SPARES FOR SALE. 2RK TZR // 82 DR125 // DT125R/E .... PM ME...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 pence worth as a 1999 WR400 owner.

1) My WR starts first kick almost 99.99% of the time ... easy to do, and when it doesnt its just a few kicks away. (usualy cos I have binned it or drowned it)
The only time I fancy having elec is when I have stalled the thing, half way up something like the steps, and I am balanced on one leg and its awkward to kick.
Other than that .. I dont need elec start .. kick it like a man.

2) The WR400 is heavy and tall and has 'unsophisticated' power delivery ... all of which make it a bit of a handful.
BUT, if someone like me (short and poor skills) can enjoy it for a year or so, then I will imagine a taller/stronger rider will love it even more.

3) Any WR after 02 will feel much lighter ... not so much weight... but they moved the geometry about and engine position.
My mates bike is same weight (give or take a bag of sugar or 2) ... and yet his feels so much lighter when you ride ... and its all down to how they have designed the bike after 02.
Of course, the new aluminium frame ones feel even better Smile

4) As G mentioned ... servicing ?? Rolling Eyes .. pah! what servicing .... chuck regular oil changes and filters at it, and its rock solid.
I have heard of old WR's going in to have valves checked after years of abuse... and nothing needs doing. ... in fact, if you go to the WR forum, its common.
ie: Bloke takes bike for service,,,, gets a bill back and also note from mechanic saying that the valves were fine and didnt need doing.
VERY solid engines.

5) Last comment ... The 400cc lets you get away with riding crap.
I go into a corner or section ... balls it totally up, and then just open it up and blast out .. and lose very little distance on bike in front who has taken the corner well.
Its got enough power to blast you out of trouble and make you look a lot better than you are Smile

I say: Go 4 stroke ... Go WR ... Go larger engine size (400/426/450) Thumbs Up
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike is so easy to start I can do it by hand!! Wink

But as soon as you drop it or stall it on a gradient, its a right pig to restart, lets face it, uneven terrain is where you are most likely to stall/crash it!!

I want a 'combo'. I'll start it 99% of the time with the kicker, but that 1% of the time the electric foot is invaluable!! Wink

I am still flirting with the idea of a 2t, but again, no lecky start!! Sad
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 300EXC-E is 2 stroke and has electric start. Around since 2007 I believe. You can also retrofit the electric start to 250cc models since then too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ben_wheely
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 03 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

silky666 wrote:


4) As G mentioned ... servicing ?? Rolling Eyes .. pah! what servicing .... chuck regular oil changes and filters at it, and its rock solid.
I have heard of old WR's going in to have valves checked after years of abuse... and nothing needs doing. ... in fact, if you go to the WR forum, its common.
ie: Bloke takes bike for service,,,, gets a bill back and also note from mechanic saying that the valves were fine and didnt need doing.
VERY solid engines.


Fair point, But remember the 250's are higher revving then the 400/426/450's

Last time i done a valve clearence check, 2 were out, but only slightly. But yeah they have very good engines.

Once you get an electic starting bike, you will not back to a kicker again, unless you change to 2t
____________________
Rides: '05 Yammy WR290-F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Imonster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what exactly was wrong with my TTR?! Very Happy Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imonster wrote:
And what exactly was wrong with my TTR?! Very Happy Wink


The power delivery was ace, and the ride seemed really 'study' ... I probably should look up the weight as I might be surprised, but it looks a bit of a porker ... also the TTRs seem to go for silly money ...

To be fair, I tend to get carried away with this new bike lark ... often I take a step back and ask myself "Would I have had any more fun on another bike??" (i.e. NOT the KLR) ... the answer is "probably not!!" ...

But it needs some new tyres, the motor is a bit smoky and the suspension isn't up to much ... so I ask myself the following question "Is it worth investing any more in this bike, or should I just get a new one?" ...

..... and so the circular argument turns!! Embarassed Laughing
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

windy12
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Beta Alp is a useful tool, it depends how difficult the terrain gets, a lot of rocks and Beta would come in to its own, everyone wants them secondhand, they are very hard to find and if there is one they go quickly.

For speed over terrain nothing is more fun than a 400 two stroke enduro, in my opinion, but they arent for beginners and like others say they are hard to pick up in good nick.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.95 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.66 Kb