|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:58 - 08 Sep 2009 Post subject: WR250F, is it really all that for green laning? |
 |
|
Seems a clear fave is the WR250F (03on as leky start). But as such they seem to fetch a premium.
Anyone had any experience with the WR250F? How would you say it compares to other bikes of the same idea you have ridden? ____________________ The purpose of life is to fight maturity. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:36 - 08 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh yea, was gonna say on sun if I got to spoke to you.. my mate whos just bought a new KTM is going to sell his 02 WR426... it's not electric start but its probably one of the best WR426's about. Recently been stripped and completely rebuilt, barely ridden since, frame was sprayed, all bearings/seals etc done recently. Engine has been professionally tuned (not to a high race standard, you'll have to ask him for more info) easiest bike to kick start I've ever used. I wish he had the fuckin thing for sale when I was looking for a bike! I've know him for years since hes had it and rode it a couple of times (right guess thats you no longer interested ) and it's loveeeeeely
This price isn't guaranateed as I need to ask him properly if you're interested but I think he wanted £1500 for it in trail trim, I believe it also has all new plastics etc etc but again will have to check. It's had the dreaded WR gear problems fixed when rebuilt too.
Can get pics if ya interested. ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ben_wheely |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ben_wheely Trackday Trickster
Joined: 03 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:30 - 08 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I love my WR250, use it weekends for green laning / trf events (Enduro tracks / motocross tracks open and you can go your own pace)
And use it weekdays to get me to work (6-7 mile town ride)
And very occiasionly as a transport to get places a bit futher then work.
Change the oil every <1000 km's, and the valve clearences have been checked earlier this year and are due another check october(ish).
I came off a drz 400 and went onto my WR250, which was the best change ever, especially in the offroading scene.
Im not saying im a good rider, i think im average, ive only been offroading for about a year and a half. But my WR250 has given me so much more confidence, and has made me a quicker rider. Most of the guys i go out with are on WR/XR/CRF/EXC 400's/450's - only a handleful are on 250's, but my 250 always stays with them. On the technical stuff my bike glides past them, whilst they are stuck spinning up the back wheel
Saying this, i have never tried a 2-stroke, and i would like too. But in my current situation, i could not take a 2-stroke to work daily, as the bike is my principal means of transport. ____________________ Rides: '05 Yammy WR290-F |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:46 - 08 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:58 - 08 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Blue, just wanted to clarify as my post was slightly random... I'm not comparing the 426 to a 250... the 426 is the older shape, kick only and a lot faster engine wise. Personally I'd go 250 as I personally want something thats not massively fast, something smallish/light and turns quick, most importantly it needs a magic button! I mentioned the 426 as you sent me some emails asking about 426's so thought I'd mention it
If my mates bike was a leccy start 250, I'd have bought it by now  ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:11 - 08 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Joe wrote: | Leccy start would be very nice indeed, starting my old XR's could be a miserable experience when you've binned in it, knackered yourself out picking it up out of the mud and then kicking it half to death with no joy.
The Gasser starts easy 99% of the time but still I'd like a magic button. |
It really annoys me! The XR starts first time 95% of the time, but that 5% of the time it won't start is usually when I most need it to bluddy start! I would prob kick start the WR most of the time, but nice to have that button for when you're stuck half up a slope and can't reach the lever properly If I'm gonna change my bike, I'm gonna get the one I want .. the XR was only ever bought as a "see if ill actually ride it" bike as normally I buy expensive things and don't ride them
Oh yea, also blue, the same bloke whos selling the WR.. he hired a WR250F at tonymotos once, said it was a cracking bike, handled really well, was fairly quick and nice to ride for a 250.
I'm hoping you buy one so I can have a go before I buy mine  ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:40 - 08 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
So I am back to buying a WR250F then as it has a lecky start!!
Missed an 07 one on eBay earlier!!  ____________________ The purpose of life is to fight maturity. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ben_wheely |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ben_wheely Trackday Trickster
Joined: 03 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:01 - 08 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Get yourself a KTM 300EXC-E 2 stroke (with leccy start, not like you need it, but when you're on that slope the wrong side of the bike, still be nice ). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| element |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 element World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 02:13 - 09 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
rode the wr250f offroad.. felt like a 2 stroke.. brilliant bike imo. The one I rode had a rekluse clutch. ____________________ 04' DT125RE (run-a-bout) // 89' DT125R (rebuilt + supermoto conversion)
SPARES FOR SALE. 2RK TZR // 82 DR125 // DT125R/E .... PM ME... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:32 - 09 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
My 2 pence worth as a 1999 WR400 owner.
1) My WR starts first kick almost 99.99% of the time ... easy to do, and when it doesnt its just a few kicks away. (usualy cos I have binned it or drowned it)
The only time I fancy having elec is when I have stalled the thing, half way up something like the steps, and I am balanced on one leg and its awkward to kick.
Other than that .. I dont need elec start .. kick it like a man.
2) The WR400 is heavy and tall and has 'unsophisticated' power delivery ... all of which make it a bit of a handful.
BUT, if someone like me (short and poor skills) can enjoy it for a year or so, then I will imagine a taller/stronger rider will love it even more.
3) Any WR after 02 will feel much lighter ... not so much weight... but they moved the geometry about and engine position.
My mates bike is same weight (give or take a bag of sugar or 2) ... and yet his feels so much lighter when you ride ... and its all down to how they have designed the bike after 02.
Of course, the new aluminium frame ones feel even better
4) As G mentioned ... servicing ?? .. pah! what servicing .... chuck regular oil changes and filters at it, and its rock solid.
I have heard of old WR's going in to have valves checked after years of abuse... and nothing needs doing. ... in fact, if you go to the WR forum, its common.
ie: Bloke takes bike for service,,,, gets a bill back and also note from mechanic saying that the valves were fine and didnt need doing.
VERY solid engines.
5) Last comment ... The 400cc lets you get away with riding crap.
I go into a corner or section ... balls it totally up, and then just open it up and blast out .. and lose very little distance on bike in front who has taken the corner well.
Its got enough power to blast you out of trouble and make you look a lot better than you are
I say: Go 4 stroke ... Go WR ... Go larger engine size (400/426/450)  ____________________ There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.
Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:16 - 09 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
My bike is so easy to start I can do it by hand!!
But as soon as you drop it or stall it on a gradient, its a right pig to restart, lets face it, uneven terrain is where you are most likely to stall/crash it!!
I want a 'combo'. I'll start it 99% of the time with the kicker, but that 1% of the time the electric foot is invaluable!!
I am still flirting with the idea of a 2t, but again, no lecky start!!  ____________________ The purpose of life is to fight maturity. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ben_wheely |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ben_wheely Trackday Trickster
Joined: 03 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:58 - 09 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| silky666 wrote: |
4) As G mentioned ... servicing ??  .. pah! what servicing .... chuck regular oil changes and filters at it, and its rock solid.
I have heard of old WR's going in to have valves checked after years of abuse... and nothing needs doing. ... in fact, if you go to the WR forum, its common.
ie: Bloke takes bike for service,,,, gets a bill back and also note from mechanic saying that the valves were fine and didnt need doing.
VERY solid engines.
|
Fair point, But remember the 250's are higher revving then the 400/426/450's
Last time i done a valve clearence check, 2 were out, but only slightly. But yeah they have very good engines.
Once you get an electic starting bike, you will not back to a kicker again, unless you change to 2t ____________________ Rides: '05 Yammy WR290-F |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Imonster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Imonster World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:46 - 09 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
And what exactly was wrong with my TTR?!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:09 - 09 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| windy12 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 windy12 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|