|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Vin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vin World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:55 - 13 Jul 2006 Post subject: A Grand Day Out |
 |
|
In the spirit of others making an effort to add content to the forum I thought I’d write about the Off Road Experience day I did last year.
Background
OK to set the scene me and a few friends decided in the comfort of the pub that we’d like to try off road riding. Normally what happens in these circumstances is the idea gets conveniently forgotten the following morning. Not his time. Phil one of my mates phoned up these people https://www.yamaha-schools.co.uk/ and found us a Sunday where they had spaces at the Golding Barn track. Before we had time to think 6 of us had signed up and parted with the money.
The Riders and Experience
All of us are in our early forties so really should have known better!!
Me. At the time I had done about 3 miles on my TZR250 after a ten-year lay off.
Phil: Hadn’t ridden a bike for about 10 years.
Karen: Hadn’t ridden since she was a teenager….on a BSA Bantam
Andy H: Regularly rides a 600 Thundercat.
Andy C: Ducati rider…..rides about twice a year. :lol
Pete: FZR1000 and rides regularly in the summer.
So there you have it fat boys and Karen go off road!
At this stage I’m not too worried as the website expressly said they take beginners so I had visions of riding around the car park or something.
The build up
We all went to a BBQ the night before where obviously after a few beers we were full of confidence about the following day. Having said that we were careful not to drink all night thus avoiding a hangover…..first sign of nerves? Needless to say various wives and girlfriends were already spending the life insurance payouts.
The next day dawned bright and sunny. Five of us piled in a car and Pete followed us down on his bike. We were mega early, which I think amused the instructors. They told us to grab a drink and relax. Relax my arse! The “gravity” of the situation was beginning to hit home and bravado was replaced with much nervous banter. Made worse when we saw the track.
https://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/granddayout/Track.jpg
Even the training track looked scary to me but I was still holding out for the car park.
Briefing and Training
The day started at about 10:00am with a kitting out session which invariably meant getting the wrong size trousers. Its not might fault! I am still 18 years old in my head!
At this stage we had been joined by the other riders for the day. The group was about 15 in total and was a mix of all abilities from non riders (like Karen) through to people who’d done a few off road days or a bit of racing.
After we were decked out in motor cross clobber Barry the chief instructor gave us a briefing and some training.
This was on the lines of:
1) Here is a bike and this is what all the levers do.
2) Sit forward on the bike.
3) Stick your inside leg out when cornering which will help catch the bike if it slides.
4) Don’t use the clutch once you are moving.
5) Look where you want to go.
6) Only use the front brake with extreme care and definitely not on the steep slope by the start finish hut. The course is very hard and slippery.
7) Hook higher gears where possible.
8) If you do what we say you’ll have a great day and then you’ll die….I think he was joking!
By this time I am getting seriously worried! The bikes looked huge…. where’s the beginners bikes? This can’t be wise…..at my age. I hope I can remember how to ride!
https://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/granddayout/bikes.jpg
The Riding
OK briefing over, Barry points to 5 people including Me, Pete and the two Andy’s, and then points to five bikes. All Yamaha’s. 2 WR250’s (quickly snapped up by the two Andys!) 2 WR450’s (one snapped up be the experienced rider in our group) and 1 TTR250. Pete and I were left staring at the WR450 and TTR250. I must have looked pathetic as Pete did the decent thing and took the 450…..thank god!
They then pointed to the training track and told us to ride round. I was still looking longingly at the car park. Naturally everyone was pretty cautious but I got on alright and was soon thinking this is OK I can do this all day no problem.
Pete managed to dump it (as predicted by Barry) because being a regular road rider he instinctively grabbed the front brake.
After a tense 10-minute session that seemed like an hour I was exhausted. No problem though as we could rest and watch the others. The highlight of this was watching Phil stall on a slope and then realising his legs weren’t long enough to reach the ground.
Soon enough it was our groups’ turn again where I bagged a WR250. Then much to my surprise we were told to follow the instructor up the road to the main track. OH MY GOD! I wanted to get off. Well the instructor zoomed off and we were pretty much left to struggle round. What followed was a scary bimble around an incredibly hard and loose track. I couldn’t believe what I was riding round. If I had seen it before hand I’d have said nooo way. However by following Barry’s top tips I was able to get round for a few laps. I even resisted touching the brakes on the steep bits. I am not saying I enjoyed it at first but the sense of achievement was great. I didn’t die!! Yay!
Again after an hour-long ten-minute session we were again able to watch the others. 20 minutes lovely rest.
There followed many more sessions throughout the day where Barry introduced new things to try. Like standing up.
I learnt a few things for myself:
1) Don’t get cocky!!!
2) Be smooth
3) TTR250’s are crap compared to the WR’s
4) It’s very easy to accidentally wheelie a WR450.
5) Off road riding is knackering.
6) It’s really good fun
7) The bikes are difficult to get on and off. Especially at my age.
After lunch they opened up the entire track, which for me was really challenging and the session got a bit longer. Towards the end I was so tired I was hoping they’d end
Crashes
There were a few throughout the day. Mostly gentle but Andy H went down quite heavily (used the front brake) and some guy from another group crashed a full blown 125 MX bike and had to go to hospital. We weren’t allowed to play with the MX bikes……quite frankly I was glad of that
Instructors
There were three instructors 2 of which rode round the track as kind of travelling marshals. Basically they gave out friendly advice and helped get you going if you crashed. A service that Karen seemed to use rather a lot!!! I think she liked the attention.
They were all awesome though. No macho bullshit with nice easygoing attitudes and not overly prescriptive. They gave us enough to keep us alive. If you chose to ignore it then they just let you suffer the consequences. Barry predicted to us that the guy who hurt himself would crash! He also had a superb dry line in humour and they could all do amazing jumps.
https://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/granddayout/instruc.jpg
They must have been good because they got beginners around a pretty severe course and the riders were still smiling. Karen chose to say she was a non-rider but she only missed one session while being taught on a lower bike. Then she was thrown in like the rest of us. Barry even tricked her onto the TTR250 and predicted exactly where she’d crash. This sounds harsh but the smile on Karen’s face at the end spoke volumes. A smile mirrored on all our faces it has to be said.
Was it worth it?
Absolutely! We were buzzing in the pub afterwards. Everyone felt they had achieved something good. Even Andy H who was a bit sore. £150 sounds a lot but when it includes the use of motorbikes worth £5000, all the gear, top instruction, as much riding as you can physically cope with and a great location I think it was good value.
Track days cost that and you get to trash your own stuff.
Did I Crash?
Nope that looked far too painful.
Was I Slow?
Yes very. I didn’t “own” anyone. But it really didn’t matter. Most of the time there was no one insight and I felt no inclination to race.
Would I go again?
Absolutely when I have saved up I might try the Honda experience day.
Amusing side issue
The emails that went around on the Tuesday morning following the day comparing how much we all ached!! There wasn’t any part of my body that escaped!! Even my jaw from clenching my teeth
More Pictures
Me looking cool.
https://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/granddayout/me71.jpg
Me looking scared.
https://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/granddayout/Me2.jpg
Andy C. There is always one who can do it!! Bastard!
https://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/granddayout/andyc.jpg
The instructor struggling to keep up with Karen
https://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/granddayout/Kins.jpg
OK its finished…sorry its sooo long but I hope it encourages others to give it a try. You won’t regret it.
Vin
P.S. This took ages and if there are any typos.....i really couldn't give a toss  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| byke95 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 byke95 World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vin World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:13 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do it....you know you have too  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vin World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 07:45 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CoronaBoner |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CoronaBoner World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:22 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Freaking awesome post, really cool pics too
Would love to do something like that. ____________________ 2004 RSV Factory
Cluck cluck chicken |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lee125 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lee125 World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:45 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
cool write up looks good ive been to a couple of motocross practice tracks one time it was like you were in a race as it was a gorgeus day and there were loads of bikes and it was awsome and i absolutely love it although at the end of the day your wrists and arms and everywhere are all aching with jumping and cornering and everything but its worth it  ____________________ cbt passed 01/07/2006 bike:92 dt 125 and 96 honda cr 250
theory:PASSED! A2 test:PASSED 08/11/2006 restricted to 33bhp for 2 years |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alastair |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alastair Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 13 Dec 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:11 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Great write up, that place is really local to me and I've been considering a visit for ages. Think you've just made my mind up  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| quacker_boy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 quacker_boy Cuddle Bitch

Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:22 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've never ridden round a track before...might start saving for a trip next summer  ____________________ wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:31 - 15 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Looks like fun  ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alastair |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alastair Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 13 Dec 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| McJamweasel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 McJamweasel BCF Junkie

Joined: 22 Mar 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vin World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:33 - 17 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the kind words it makes the effort worthwhile.
To clear up some points:
I am Vin who lives in East Grinstead. I am not tall, don't live in solihull and don't know fuzz But I can pretend if you like.
To those who are going to try a similar thing. Get some pics for us all.
This website will tell you all about the track
https://www.goldingbarnraceway.co.uk/index.htm/
Cheers |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Method |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Method World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Nov 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:39 - 17 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hey nice job!
Great write up! Realy makes me miss my moto-x days!
Very well done on getting some air on your first time! Took me a while before i was confident enough to grab height off a jump!
Glad you had fun Theres nothing like a bit of offroading to get you buzzing  ____________________ CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:22 - 17 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Great thread  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| True Blue |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 True Blue World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Feb 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:49 - 17 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
That looks like good fun. I see thay haven't sorted a venue in Scotland yet, but I'd definately travel down to the Manchester one. Sound like good value too.  ____________________ Past >>>> Honda NSR 125 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K1 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K4 >>>>Kawasaki Z1000 DAF >>>>Suzuki RMZ 250 >>>> Current >>>> KTM Superduke R 1290 >>>> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
There is a gap of 3 years, 62 days between these two posts... |
 |
|
| windy12 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 windy12 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| garyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 garyd Brolly Dolly

Joined: 09 Apr 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:44 - 20 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
And this is how we ride every Sunday on trails and still no takers...........................................  ____________________ CRF230 all you need |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cannondale-rider |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cannondale-rider Nova Slayer
Joined: 29 Mar 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:52 - 20 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
i really want to do motocross im jealous of people who do it lol |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| garyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 garyd Brolly Dolly

Joined: 09 Apr 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:33 - 21 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
nah i dont ride my bike like that ,these are trails not tracks,been known to be 2ft off ground at times ,mostly by mistake but yeah all the big guns still dont come for a ride out never the less ,keyboard riders the lot o em  ____________________ CRF230 all you need |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blue_SV650S |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Blue_SV650S World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:33 - 22 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wow, that is quite a thread dig-up .... 2yrs 2months
But what a find!! Cool report Vin!!
Vin, I went to GB a few weeks ago, you say they opened up the full track as the day went on, what was the 'short' track/where id it break off?
£150 is a bargain ... it costs £30 to do a practice day there at a weekend with your own bike. The place is hard-pack and full of flint ... it actually tore whole lugs off my rear tyre!! ... so you could add on the cost of aggressive tyre wear. I must have got through £20 fuel/2-stroke. Then you have general wear and tear ... I should imagine a day easily costs >£100 all in even using your own bike/stuff ... and you have to cart it there ..... and fix it if/when you fall off/break it!!  ____________________ The purpose of life is to fight maturity. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|