|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Neepling |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Neepling Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:01 - 21 Sep 2009 Post subject: I'm an idiot! Too much oil :( |
 |
|
Hi all,
Let me start off by repeating - I'm an idiot!
I over filled my GPX 250 with oil. The window was completly full as opposed to 3/4 full.
Had to get to my girlfriends so didnt have time to drain it, cutting a long story short I then had to take my GF on the back - a distance of about 5 miles. When we got there - stopped the bike and had lots of oil leaking - it was looking a little foamy too
I didnt have time to do too much to the bike so I just undid the sump plug and let a load drain out. I havent had time to check anything but will be having a thorough check tonight - the bike hasnt been run since. The engine oil looks to be around the right level now.
I'm wondering how much damage I may have done to the bike ... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evoboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evoboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Damon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Damon World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:58 - 21 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did this just yesterday I put way too much oil in my CG and now it's making a very strange sound, I think I might actually have damaged something although I'm hoping there won't be any permanent damage. I need to find a good way to take some out but I have no idea how to do it. I was thinking some kind of syringe or pipe to syphon it. I'm not sure I want to go near the sump plug. ____________________ will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Acemastr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Acemastr World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:06 - 21 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
When you over fill the engine the main problem is that you reduce the volume of air in it, and as the air can compress and the oil (basically) can't it can blow the seals in the engine.
If you need to take a bit out then I would suggest slacking the oil filter (it should be on hand tight) and allowing it to drain out, then check the level. If necessary, start the engine and repeat.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| inazumin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 inazumin Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| inazumin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 inazumin Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| inazumin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 inazumin Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|