Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I'm an idiot! Too much oil :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Neepling
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:01 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: I'm an idiot! Too much oil :( Reply with quote

Hi all,
Let me start off by repeating - I'm an idiot!
I over filled my GPX 250 with oil. The window was completly full as opposed to 3/4 full.
Had to get to my girlfriends so didnt have time to drain it, cutting a long story short I then had to take my GF on the back - a distance of about 5 miles. When we got there - stopped the bike and had lots of oil leaking - it was looking a little foamy too Sad
I didnt have time to do too much to the bike so I just undid the sump plug and let a load drain out. I havent had time to check anything but will be having a thorough check tonight - the bike hasnt been run since. The engine oil looks to be around the right level now.

I'm wondering how much damage I may have done to the bike ...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was gonna do any serious internal damage, it would of done it when you started it up.

I did this on my old pre divvy XJ, oil pissed out of the airbox for a while till i drained it all and refilled to the right amount...still runs fine (55k miles)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be too bad to be honest, If you keep it overfilled for a long period of time, then you get problems.

Damon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this just yesterday Sad I put way too much oil in my CG and now it's making a very strange sound, I think I might actually have damaged something although I'm hoping there won't be any permanent damage. I need to find a good way to take some out but I have no idea how to do it. I was thinking some kind of syringe or pipe to syphon it. I'm not sure I want to go near the sump plug.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about this, find it impossible to figure out how much oil is in the YBR due to the oil being clear(red) and the dip stick being useless, it says it holds a litre.... and it's got a litre in it lol. running much smoother today, it's never run down but tis lovely and smooth.
____________________
2017 KTM 350 XC-F - 2014 Yamaha R6 - 2005 Yamaha YZ125
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

When you over fill the engine the main problem is that you reduce the volume of air in it, and as the air can compress and the oil (basically) can't it can blow the seals in the engine.

If you need to take a bit out then I would suggest slacking the oil filter (it should be on hand tight) and allowing it to drain out, then check the level. If necessary, start the engine and repeat.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

inazumin
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

When you over fill the engine the main problem is that you reduce the volume of air in it, and as the air can compress and the oil (basically) can't it can blow the seals in the engine.

Keith


Good advice.

I prefer a dipstick, the sight glass of my 750 suzi is hopeless, drained oil last week to do a temp fix to a leaking cooler, and got 3.5 ltrs out - without removing oil filter. Suzi claim 3.3 ltrs for oil change, 3.5 for oil & filter.

After putting the old oil in and warming engine, I then added 0.6 ltr to bring it up to the 'Full' level mark. Basically putting the right amount in by measurement means none shows in the sight glass until engine is warm and then its below the 'minimum' mark. I asked the supplying dealer of my old K2 1200 bandit (same type engine) and the mechanic said , if you need to overfill after measuring the correct amount in, then do so to get to the sight mark level right. So I have got 4.1ltrs in and a engine rebuild needs 4ltrs ! Is this correct ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

inazumin wrote:
So I have got 4.1ltrs in and a engine rebuild needs 4ltrs ! Is this correct ?


Not sure on the quantities, but a K type Bandit 1200 is listed as needing 4.6L for an oil change after a rebuild and only 3.5L for an oil and filter change.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

inazumin
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
... but a K type Bandit 1200 is listed as needing 4.6L for an oil change after a rebuild and only 3.5L for an oil and filter change.

All the best

Keith

My mistake its 4.6 for are rebuild. 3.3 for oil & 3.5 for oil and filter for 750. However, I've still put 4.1 to get the sight glass reading, which method should be used ? Measure correct amount in or rely on sight glass which technically over fills by 0.6 ltr!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would use the correct amount as a guideline and then use the sight glass (assuming you are checking with the engine stopped).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

inazumin
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 21 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
..... (assuming you are checking with the engine stopped).

All the best

Keith
Hi

Of course, I warm engine for few minutes, then check glass, with the measured amount it only reaches minimum when engine is warm. I'll live with it, used to it over 4 years with both bikes. Just curious.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.45 Kb