 twotakt World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Oct 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:52 - 21 Sep 2009 Post subject: Basic Motorcycle Electrical Query (bench testing) |
 |
|
Got a spare motor that I want to chuck into a chassis, just gone over it replacing gaskets, tensioner, cam chain, clearances etc but want to check the compression. However to do this I need to turn over the motor on the starter, how do I go about doing this on the bench rather than in the frame? I don't want to plug it all in and realise that I need to take it out of the frame again in order to re-ring it.
Would it be a case of getting a 12v battery, connecting to the starter solenoid and then onto the starter motor? Would there be a need for an inline fuse and an earth? Sorry if it all sounds stupid, evidently I'm a pure noob when it comes to these matters lol. ____________________ R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008 |
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:01 - 21 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Crudely, hold the engine steady (and I would put it somewhere easy to hold , and where if it falls it will not damage / injure anyone or itself), one jump lead from the engine to the earth terminal of the battery and another from the +ve terminal to the starter motor terminal.
Make sure that there isn't anything in the ports that could get sucked in.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
 twotakt World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Oct 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:27 - 21 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ta Keith, just done it now. 150psi on all 4 pots ftfw
It only moved a bit, might just be prob on bigger motors? I dunno. ____________________ R.I.P. Tareree Shiimi, 1985-2008 |
|
 steven_191 Nearly there...

Joined: 31 May 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:37 - 21 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
ideally when its turning at a constant speed you wont have much movement or vibration as long as the bearings are good and its well balanced.  |
|