|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:15 - 01 Oct 2009 Post subject: House buying - mortgage question |
 |
|
Just a quick question hopefully someone here has a bit more insight, I'm a bit unwilling to ask a mortgage advisor just now as I don't want to waste their time.
Basically, and as example only, looking at a house at £125k (yeah needs work!)
10% mortgages are available so thats £13k say for a deposit + £1000 legal fees so £14k total (again as example)
Say I have half that deposit at 7k.
If I borrowed £7000 from a family member then got a mortgage for £132k and re-paid the £7000 straight off...
Is this all above board and generally okay provided the trust is there? Only person likely to lend me the money is my mum and it would mean re-mortgaging her house (which she has already talked about doing for a different venture) it would free up some money she wants to decorate her house too.
Anyone done this or similar and hit any problems?
Like I say, not sure she'll agree to it, I am very much trustworthy and I get paid twice as much as she does in a very stable job so I'm not a massively high risk I don't think!
I'm looking at a house in need of some work (i.e re-wire, heating/boiler and decorating/modernising), I'm not bothered about timescales or moving in as such as I can still live at home so I don't need to leave money aside for doing it up if it comes to it as long as the mortgage repayments aren't excessively high I should be able to afford to do it up myself as I go along. ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| panrider_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 panrider_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| t121anf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 t121anf World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Feb 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:13 - 01 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Sparks! wrote: | Hope that makes more sense  |
Nope.
So what you're saying is, for a £125k house + £1k for costs.
10% of £126k is £12.6k deposit required.
£7k from your mum leaves you needing to provide £5.6k.
You want to pay your mum the £7k back again and you also have £7k to put down, so on top of the original full amount £126k mortgage you're adding another £6600 = £132,600 mortgage inc. deposit.
Now correct me if I'm wrong as I'm no mortgage expert, but no bank is going to provide you with just under £133k on a house worth £125k unless you can prove the house will be worth this or more after the work has been done. Which means proving £8Kish of work is going to be done in the first place! ____________________ Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| t121anf |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 t121anf World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Feb 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kwaks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kwaks I'm not a fast rider

Joined: 28 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:38 - 01 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Don't do it, as said what you are looking for is a mortgage over 100 %.
Not worth the stress ____________________ Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:10 - 01 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Phoenix wrote: | I can't see it working out for you that, afaik 100% mortgages are not even available anymore, though no doubt there is 1 or 2 lenders offering them, but these days you will be paying a huge whack to get that mortgage, high setup fees and probably long tie ins etc as it's extremely risky for the lender, they have to hope that house prices won't dip at all from now on or you're instantly in negative equity.
House prices aren't rising particularly so why not wait until you can stump up at least the entire deposit yourself, also if you buy the house using this scheme then have no money to make it habitble you're going to be paying a mortgage on it and after the first year council tax which could be a lot, makes more sense to wait, if you're in a great job then if you can handle money you should be able to get 7k together fairly quickly. |
If I do it all by myself as originally planned then I'll need about £15000... my plan is to have this by April next year, just hit a slight problem as we've got no work on, my job should be safe but there's no overtime anymore which is where the majority of my money comes from.
Still, I get paid fairly okay and have little outgoings so it shouldn't take too long, I'm just keeping my options open to ways of getting a house quicker... I'm not stupid though and won't go through with anything without full research, to be honest this thread has been enough advice to realise this idea is a no-go.
Cheers  ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:26 - 01 Oct 2009 Post subject: Re: House buying - mortgage question |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bladesman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bladesman Borekit Bruiser

Joined: 22 Oct 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:35 - 23 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Looks like you need a bigger deposit or a cheaper house. Does it have to be a house for you, or are you also considering a flat?
www.propertyfinder.com
www.mustbesold.com
Property finder is where I found my flat. Must be sold is the site that were about to put it on auction, hence me getting it with a silly offer.
I wouldn't recommend taking out a loan to pay part of the deposit on a place that needs work. The work will always cost more than you think, and you'll need money to cover this. You'll also be paying a mortgage and bills, meaning the disposable income you have now will disappear.
Find something cheaper. You'll be able to get something at auction for well under £100k. You can fit a new bathroom and kitchen for under £3k, and spend another £1k on general decorating and tidying up, plus another £1k for contingency (you'll spend it). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:24 - 24 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Robby, I am sometimes tempted by a flat but only a converted house type, I can't be doing with "block" flats, tiny places or anything similar.. I'd be tempted by a house converted into 2 two bed flats but that's about it.
Problem is, in Portsmouth a half decent flat seems to be the same price as a house in need of work and I know what I'd rather do (house)... but even so, its still the same sort of price so still same deposit money needed. My sister bought a 2 bed flat a couple years ago, cost her £140k and its in a small block theyve had maintenance costs of almost a grand when no maintenace is carried out, and the flat below them is now a brothel and this is supposedly a "nice" area/flats!
I've kind of gone back to just saving and trying not to think about it too much until I have more money.. it's hard though as I really want my own place now! ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bladesman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bladesman Borekit Bruiser

Joined: 22 Oct 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|