Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


House buying - mortgage question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: House buying - mortgage question Reply with quote

Just a quick question hopefully someone here has a bit more insight, I'm a bit unwilling to ask a mortgage advisor just now as I don't want to waste their time.

Basically, and as example only, looking at a house at £125k (yeah needs work!)

10% mortgages are available so thats £13k say for a deposit + £1000 legal fees so £14k total (again as example)

Say I have half that deposit at 7k.

If I borrowed £7000 from a family member then got a mortgage for £132k and re-paid the £7000 straight off...

Is this all above board and generally okay provided the trust is there? Only person likely to lend me the money is my mum and it would mean re-mortgaging her house (which she has already talked about doing for a different venture) it would free up some money she wants to decorate her house too.

Anyone done this or similar and hit any problems?

Like I say, not sure she'll agree to it, I am very much trustworthy and I get paid twice as much as she does in a very stable job so I'm not a massively high risk I don't think!

I'm looking at a house in need of some work (i.e re-wire, heating/boiler and decorating/modernising), I'm not bothered about timescales or moving in as such as I can still live at home so I don't need to leave money aside for doing it up if it comes to it as long as the mortgage repayments aren't excessively high I should be able to afford to do it up myself as I go along.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you're asking a bank to lend you more than the house is worth, I don't think they'll do that I'm afraid...
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
So basically you're asking a bank to lend you more than the house is worth, I don't think they'll do that I'm afraid...


Of course they will if you say its for work to be done to the house. (provided the extra money is still within the overall amount the bank would lend you in the first place... )

They definetly do it, that's not exactly what I was asking (my bad) but more so on has anyone actually done this with family and hit any problems.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrowing £132k for a house worth £125k is a more than 100% mortgage and you'll be lucky to find one these days.

If by 10% mortgage you mean 10% deposit (i.e. 90% mortgage) then you'd be borrowing £112,500.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Borrowing £132k for a house worth £125k is a more than 100% mortgage and you'll be lucky to find one these days.

If by 10% mortgage you mean 10% deposit (i.e. 90% mortgage) then you'd be borrowing £112,500.

Mark


What I mean is.. (sorry for confusion)

I would have £15000 CASH deposit to put down, only I'd have borrowed £7k of that deposit from my mum so I'd be getting a mortgage to cover the house + pay my mum back.

Pretty sure I'd get a £132k mortgage with £15000 upfront deposit.

Hope that makes more sense Smile
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the house is worth £125k, thats 100% simple as that, doesn't matter what your plans are.

so if the max a bank is willing to lend is 90% which is £112.5

you need to find £12.5k how you raise the £12.5k is up to you, one trick is to get a mortgage offer and then get a bank loan.

to get your deposit down to £5.5k effectively you need to get a cheaper house or somehow make the bank think the house is worth more than £125k, not easy, or find a deal that is larger than 90%

in short you can't do what you suggest in this day and age
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
Hope that makes more sense Smile


Nope.

So what you're saying is, for a £125k house + £1k for costs.

10% of £126k is £12.6k deposit required.

£7k from your mum leaves you needing to provide £5.6k.

You want to pay your mum the £7k back again and you also have £7k to put down, so on top of the original full amount £126k mortgage you're adding another £6600 = £132,600 mortgage inc. deposit.

Now correct me if I'm wrong as I'm no mortgage expert, but no bank is going to provide you with just under £133k on a house worth £125k unless you can prove the house will be worth this or more after the work has been done. Which means proving £8Kish of work is going to be done in the first place!
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

not in the current climate you can't, both my mortgages, current and previous were up to 133% ones but you simply can't get them any more.

i'll let you guess who they are with, it started the banking crisis though
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
no bank is going to provide you with just under £133k on a house worth £125k


That's yer problem. They don't give you 'what you want', they give you 'what they could flog it for if you suddenly stop paying'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it, as said what you are looking for is a mortgage over 100 %.

Not worth the stress
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you buying with a partner?

If not, what are you looking to get? 3 x salary?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwaker6r wrote:
Don't do it, as said what you are looking for is a mortgage over 100 %.

Not worth the stress


I didn't quite understand how this all worked but now I see that I'm looking at it in the wrong way and that it is in fact over 100% mortgage despite the £15k deposit which of course I wouldn't get.

Why is this all so bloody complicated? Laughing

Guess there is no quick way of doing it, back to saving and waiting I guess!
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it working out for you that, afaik 100% mortgages are not even available anymore, though no doubt there is 1 or 2 lenders offering them, but these days you will be paying a huge whack to get that mortgage, high setup fees and probably long tie ins etc as it's extremely risky for the lender, they have to hope that house prices won't dip at all from now on or you're instantly in negative equity.

House prices aren't rising particularly so why not wait until you can stump up at least the entire deposit yourself, also if you buy the house using this scheme then have no money to make it habitble you're going to be paying a mortgage on it and after the first year council tax which could be a lot, makes more sense to wait, if you're in a great job then if you can handle money you should be able to get 7k together fairly quickly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
I can't see it working out for you that, afaik 100% mortgages are not even available anymore, though no doubt there is 1 or 2 lenders offering them, but these days you will be paying a huge whack to get that mortgage, high setup fees and probably long tie ins etc as it's extremely risky for the lender, they have to hope that house prices won't dip at all from now on or you're instantly in negative equity.

House prices aren't rising particularly so why not wait until you can stump up at least the entire deposit yourself, also if you buy the house using this scheme then have no money to make it habitble you're going to be paying a mortgage on it and after the first year council tax which could be a lot, makes more sense to wait, if you're in a great job then if you can handle money you should be able to get 7k together fairly quickly.


If I do it all by myself as originally planned then I'll need about £15000... my plan is to have this by April next year, just hit a slight problem as we've got no work on, my job should be safe but there's no overtime anymore which is where the majority of my money comes from.

Still, I get paid fairly okay and have little outgoings so it shouldn't take too long, I'm just keeping my options open to ways of getting a house quicker... I'm not stupid though and won't go through with anything without full research, to be honest this thread has been enough advice to realise this idea is a no-go.

Cheers Smile
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe the confusion is because of the way it's being worded. You say you want to put down a 14k deposit roughly and get a 132k mortgage. What I think you were trying to say is you want to put down 14K and get 118k mortgage?


This totals 132K which is more than the house is worth but that doesn't matter because the mortgage is still under 125K so it's not 100%, it is 95% though so good luck with that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
I think maybe the confusion is because of the way it's being worded. You say you want to put down a 14k deposit roughly and get a 132k mortgage. What I think you were trying to say is you want to put down 14K and get 118k mortgage?


This totals 132K which is more than the house is worth but that doesn't matter because the mortgage is still under 125K so it's not 100%, it is 95% though so good luck with that.


Yeah that's what I was trying to say Laughing

But as you say, still 95% so I'd still need to find more deposit which kind of defeats the object of my mum lending me money to get the house quicker in the first place.

Maybe I'll save £10k and see if I can borrow £5k off my mum, not entirely sure if that makes it less than 95% but I think it does. Would then be £130k with a £15k deposit.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: House buying - mortgage question Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
I'm a bit unwilling to ask a mortgage advisor just now as I don't want to waste their time..


That is what they are there for.....

Try calling into your bank and ask their advise on what they would be prepared to lend you and what sort of deposit they are looking for.
Then maybe try a few others.

Oh and never base your request on overtime. Make sure its just your basic... As you have now found out, overtime can dry up. And if things ever get tight and rates rise, you could be in trouble.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: House buying - mortgage question Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Sparks! wrote:
I'm a bit unwilling to ask a mortgage advisor just now as I don't want to waste their time..


That is what they are there for.....

Try calling into your bank and ask their advise on what they would be prepared to lend you and what sort of deposit they are looking for.
Then maybe try a few others.

Oh and never base your request on overtime. Make sure its just your basic... As you have now found out, overtime can dry up. And if things ever get tight and rates rise, you could be in trouble.


Yeah all my figures previously are on flat rate, overtime money is a bonus Very Happy although some years I've prob earnt more in overtime than in my flat rate wages Mr. Green Mr. Green
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bladesman
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 23 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a mortgage adviser for a high street bank. Hopefully I can try and help you out with this a little

What you have to consider is that first of all is that most high street banks have moved from a wage multiplier of 3x or 4x earnings to affordability. I would look back at your past bank statements and wage slips to firstly see how much NDI (net disposable income) you have left each month. Currently we would not lend more than 60% of your net monthly wage for mortgage borrowing. But that also has to tie in with whether you can actually afford it in the first place.

Now there isn't any point me posting what if and how much can you lend me because it changes on a case by case/bank by bank basis. But by rule of thumb. Most banks now are lending 90% LTV or less. Now I know some are lending 95% LTV but if you want my honest opinion I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. The problem at the moment is houses are going down in price - not necessarily by how much people are prepared to pay for them but how much they are coming back with on the valuation. This in time could leave you which negative equity. In simple terms. Owing more than the house is worth. At least with a sizeable deposit if for whatever reason you had to sell your house you wouldn't be in a financial pickle.

We expect customers to provide an upfront non refundable booking fee. Usually anywhere between £250 and £2500 but there are some which are fee free but there is a trade off with the actual rate you will get. Also the more deposit you have the better the rate you can qualify for. Likewise: (100k house) 80% LTV (20k deposit) 75% LTV (25k deposit) and 60% LTV (40K deposit)

Also any other fee's such as valuation fee's (if not included in the booking fee) and survey's and solicitors fees etc are considered compulsory extras. Budget anywhere between £500 and £2000 depending on location and property.

Hope that helps. Regards Rick
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 23 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you need a bigger deposit or a cheaper house. Does it have to be a house for you, or are you also considering a flat?

www.propertyfinder.com

www.mustbesold.com

Property finder is where I found my flat. Must be sold is the site that were about to put it on auction, hence me getting it with a silly offer.

I wouldn't recommend taking out a loan to pay part of the deposit on a place that needs work. The work will always cost more than you think, and you'll need money to cover this. You'll also be paying a mortgage and bills, meaning the disposable income you have now will disappear.

Find something cheaper. You'll be able to get something at auction for well under £100k. You can fit a new bathroom and kitchen for under £3k, and spend another £1k on general decorating and tidying up, plus another £1k for contingency (you'll spend it).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby, I am sometimes tempted by a flat but only a converted house type, I can't be doing with "block" flats, tiny places or anything similar.. I'd be tempted by a house converted into 2 two bed flats but that's about it.

Problem is, in Portsmouth a half decent flat seems to be the same price as a house in need of work and I know what I'd rather do (house)... but even so, its still the same sort of price so still same deposit money needed. My sister bought a 2 bed flat a couple years ago, cost her £140k Shocked and its in a small block theyve had maintenance costs of almost a grand when no maintenace is carried out, and the flat below them is now a brothel Laughing and this is supposedly a "nice" area/flats!

I've kind of gone back to just saving and trying not to think about it too much until I have more money.. it's hard though as I really want my own place now!
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying flats the thing to do is find an ex council one in shit state, but in a nice block on a nice estate. They exist, I got lucky with mine. Council flats are a decent size and tend to be relatively up to date in major building works terms - double glazing can be expected.

You'll get hit with major works charges in any block undergoing major works. Council ones have the advantage that they'll be getting a lot of work done by the lowest bidder. The disadvantage is that you can't oppose their decision to carry out any work. I'm glad new lifts were fitted to my block before I bought the flat.

Saving is the way otherwise. House prices may come down some more, or at least normalise. People round here are still asking up to 220k for two bed flat, which is humorous.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my deposit, I had savings, but I also borrowed £3k in a bank loan just before taking out the mortgage, that I didnt declare when signing up for the mortgage.

I'm not saying it will work, but it worked for me.

Robbys point on flats is worth thinking about. A lot of council flats have more living space than starter home private build houses.

Personally I'm not keen on the ground respect aspect, and where I live, houses are cheap. But as living space, flats arent all bad.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bladesman
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 26 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
For my deposit, I had savings, but I also borrowed £3k in a bank loan just before taking out the mortgage, that I didnt declare when signing up for the mortgage.

I'm not saying it will work, but it worked for me.


From my first hand experience I wouldn't advise anyone to do this.
(for the purpose of providing a deposit) After all you arn't gaining anything when the personal loan APR is around 15% - 21%. Just shooting yourself in the foot.

If the bank loan is from the same bank, in effect they are lending you a higher loan to value than able. I know for sure I would not get this through my underwriting unit. This would leave the bank over exposed.

If the personal loan was from another bank chances are it would come up on a credit search (if the loan had been completed recently to the mortgage application) Now if the personal loan was for a car or bike that wouldn't usually be a problem and would be accessed on affordability (see above post)

Non disclosure is something that you have to weigh up. I wouldn't advise it because its only offering a short term gain for a possible long term pain. But that is up to the individual Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.88 Kb