Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


BCF BMI Competition

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

What is your BMI?
15-20 (skinny to normal)
20%
 20%  [ 25 ]
20-25 (Normal)
48%
 48%  [ 59 ]
25-30 (Overweight)
14%
 14%  [ 18 ]
30+ (Obese, like me)
16%
 16%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 122

Author Message

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: BCF BMI Competition Reply with quote

I am on a fitness kick at the moment, which consists of cycling 15 miles to work in the morning and then back home again in the evening, at least four days a week (customer visits permitting). I've never been a slave to the scales, how my clothes fit is always a better indicator for me, but thought I'd weigh myself and calculate my BMI to see how much I can improve.

Lo and behold, I am officially obese, with a BMI os 30.6, which is a bit of a shocker, although I have been told that BMI is pretty much crap as it doesn't take build into account. So, to make myself feel better (or worse) I thought I'd open the BCF BMI register. Go to the website below, put in your height and weight plus age to get your percentile and post it here. It might also be interesting to see the vital statistics (within reason) to see if build is a big difference.

My BMI is 30.6, I am in the 80th percentile for someone who is 5'10" and 35 years old, but my waist is 36", so I am wondering how the hell I'm obese Neutral I am 15st3lb but I'm pretty well built, so I reckon it;s all muscle Mr. Green

BMI Calculator

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.


Last edited by the grim reaper on 14:14 - 01 Oct 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use the NHS one, even gives you a graph to show how overweight you are ! Laughing https://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Anyway I'm slightly over weight with a BMI of 25.3.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say that you are insane.

Right then, I'm apparently at 22.1 BMI. Might have been more interesting as a poll or something? Thumbs Up

All the best
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mooserx
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is 32 in the 90th percentile, i'm 6'2 and weigh around 253 lbs and i am also obese.
____________________
TL1000r-handful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NHS one gives the same results as the rest of them, the BMI graphs can be found anywhere. What is annoying is that I know I need to lose a couple of stone but, in order to get to a BMI of 24-ish, I will need to get to 12 stone. If you saw me, there's no way I am carrying 3 stone plus.

Ah well, keep cycling and see where I end up, I guess.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Catalyst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on a health kick myself since April, lost 2 and a half stone and lost 4 inches on the waist. Body fat % is a better indicator of how "fat" you are, im quite a broad build as well.

Mine is 21.1

Thumbs Up
____________________
|--Previous--|:2007 Aprilia SX50...Neutral--Current--|: 2007 Kawasaki ER-6N
SlimRick - I can cook really well - but it's a useless skill, as I'm not a woman and it's their fucking job!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMI of 20 says the Wii-fit. And Im 20 years old.


However. Im 6'1. And barely 10.5 stone. Laughing


Pretty fast though.
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

20.9, almost smack in the middle of 'Healthy Weight' according to the NHS link.


I'm 6'2" and weigh 74kg which is 11st 9lb apparently.
____________________
MKGaming.com
2000 Honda CBR600F - Sold! 2003 Honda CBR600RR - Current!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMI of around 25 I think, body fat 15.8% last time I checked... but still need to lose some of that visceral fat.... when I get back from my holiday Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 Very Happy anyone lower?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

22.4 according to the NHS one. BMI's a bit stupid really, my weight's been the same for ages but I'm nowhere near as fit as I was a year ago.

Edit: Those poll results don't look all that reassuring for you Grim. Laughing
____________________
Photos and that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

29 phew Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

growler
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to lose wait just grow another foot or so! Laughing

6'2" 256 lb 32.9 BMI

all plans say I should be 195 lb maximum but I would look ill at that weight!!
____________________
DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
22.4 according to the NHS one. BMI's a bit stupid really, my weight's been the same for ages but I'm nowhere near as fit as I was a year ago.

Edit: Those poll results don't look all that reassuring for you Grim. Laughing


I know Crying or Very sad

Mind you, I'm doing something about it and at least I can come back in here and check my progress. I'm only just obese at 30.6 though, that is reassuring, particularly as I have a mate who is 46.7. I kid you not. 6'2" and 26 stone-ish. Not good.

Mind you, I don't look obese and I am dense (joking aside) I sink in swimming pools instead of floating. I'd be screwed if I fell out of a boat Mr. Green

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: BCF BMI Competition Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
I am on a fitness kick at the moment, which consists of cycling 15 miles to work in the morning and then back home again in the evening, at least four days a week



I'd just like to say that if you lived in Sheffield there's NO WAY you'd be able to cycle 15 miles to work, then back again, the hills are ridiculous. If I lived on the coast I'd be able to do that mileage easy enough though and I consider myself a 5 times a year cyclist! Laughing

I have a BMI of 33 and percentile of 92%, if you saw me you'd agree I'd need to lose a couple of stone but I'm big boned and big built, and not way off looking 'normal'. The BMI rating is wank...
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
I know Crying or Very sad

Mind you, I'm doing something about it and at least I can come back in here and check my progress. I'm only just obese at 30.6 though, that is reassuring, particularly as I have a mate who is 46.7. I kid you not. 6'2" and 26 stone-ish. Not good.


I figure fitness is all that really counts for anything. Any rugby player will be 'obese' by BMI standards.

Quote:
... I am dense (joking aside) ...


Joking aside? I don't think anyone agreed to that. Razz
____________________
Photos and that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same story here. Have been 'jogging' for a while, but got bad shins. So, bought a road bike at the weekend and have started putting some miles on it, in an attempt to lose 20 kilos. So far, I'm a month into my health kick and have lost 4 kilos, which I'm told is acceptable and sustainable. So now I'm just 'overweight'. Just need to keep it up.

Funny thing is though, that everyone I tell says I am not overweight, I'm just built solid. Strange.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: BCF BMI Competition Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
the grim reaper wrote:
I am on a fitness kick at the moment, which consists of cycling 15 miles to work in the morning and then back home again in the evening, at least four days a week



I'd just like to say that if you lived in Sheffield there's NO WAY you'd be able to cycle 15 miles to work, then back again, the hills are ridiculous. If I lived on the coast I'd be able to do that mileage easy enough though and I consider myself a 5 times a year cyclist! Laughing

I have a BMI of 33 and percentile of 92%, if you saw me you'd agree I'd need to lose a couple of stone but I'm big boned and big built, and not way off looking 'normal'. The BMI rating is wank...


I used to live in Saltash (Cornwall) and cycle to the edge of Dartmoor for work, took me about 50 minutes to get there and 35 to get home, uphill all the way there and fun on the way home Mr. Green The route I do now has some up and downs in it but nothing too major.

I agree on the BMI rating though, I just told my work mate that I am apparently obese and she laughed.

Ah well, off to cycle home in a bit.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 15:58 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't worry too much about the BMI. It's just one of a series of health indicators.

Just about every prop on a professional rugby team would be classified obese using their BMI, but they're hardly unhealthy are they?

Just happens to be a nice easy one to measure at home with no specialist equipment, so it's a good one to start with.
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BMI is 18.5. Makes the bike go faster.

Last edited by ms51ves3 on 16:07 - 01 Oct 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMI is crap as an indicator. I'm "supposed" to be 10 stone, but I look like I've just left Auschwitz at 12 stone.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 19 or so.

Hip waist ratio is a better guide. Wink
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

21.5
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

20.9

6ft and 11 stone 2 lbs, 32" waist.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 01 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

23.1.
I am the same weight as I was at 20 the difference is I now have to work to maintain, it at 20 it just came easy.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.96 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 133.54 Kb