Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My 2nd spill, bad technique vs bad tyres in the wet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

moreati
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 Oct 2009    Post subject: My 2nd spill, bad technique vs bad tyres in the wet? Reply with quote

Coming home tonight I came of my scooter, for the second time.

On both occasions I was braking from approx 15 mph with the front brake, and the road was wet. The first time I believe I had turned slightly into a left hand corner, so I placed the blame squarely on my technique. Tonight I was travelling more or less straight, maintaining my position in a queue of traffic. The front wheel (I believe) locked, when I applied the brake. There was no build up, one moment I was riding the next I was on the ground. I'd gone head first over the handle bar and landed on my front, with the rear of the scooter lying on my foot.

I'm fine, apart from a few aches, mainly thanks to the protective gear (boots and gloves in particular). The scooter is running, it has a few scratches a broken brake lever, a broken indicator cover, and a broken body panel.

The first time this happened, I put it entirely down to my poor technique (front braking whilst turning). Now I'm wondering how much was down to my technique, and how much to the performance of the front tyre in the wet.

How much difference is there between the standard tyres on a Chinese scooter vs (arguments sake) Peugeot scooter tyres vs after market tyres. Might better tyres have made a difference, or do I simply need instruction/practise in wet weather riding?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 09 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Difficult to say. Technique could be part of the problem, but cheap and nasty tyres can let go (especially in the wet) with very little provocation.

Also worth checking tyre pressures, etc.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 11 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either which way in the wet you really ought to be using the rear brake a little more rather than letting the front brake do all of the work.
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ClaireBear
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 11 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As MattEMulsion said you should really be using the back brake as well.

The way I was taught was if you are going at slow speeds the back brake should be used more. If you dont think the back brake is enough and your having to wack the brake on quickly, its probably because your going too fast.

More front brake needs to be applied- as when the bike brakes the weight and momentum goes towards the front end- but I use the back brake too.

Its difficult to say about tyres- all depends on the quality of them. I would certainly ask a garage their view, I would imagine the more expensive the better quality but you never know.

Glad to hear your ok though Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Banned This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

moreati
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaireBear88 wrote:
As MattEMulsion said you should really be using the back brake as well.

The way I was taught was if you are going at slow speeds the back brake should be used more. If you dont think the back brake is enough and your having to wack the brake on quickly, its probably because your going too fast.

I shall adjust my technique accordingly. Confession time: I didn't slam* the brake on, but it was sharper than usual because I'd looked down at my instruments at a bad time. What I took away from CBT is 1) Gradually apply front brake, 2) Apply back brake as necessary - basically what I do on a bicycle. On this occasion I didn't reach step 2, I was off the moment I applied the front brake.

So, lessons: 1) better observation, 2) back brake first in queuing traffic (to force me to maintain distance and get used to it).

ClaireBear88 wrote:

Glad to hear your ok though Smile

Thank you Smile. Off to get some parts now.

* Is 'slam' the right term on two wheels?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 11 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

moreati wrote:
1) Gradually apply front brake


in short. apply pressure, then squeeze.

dont snatch it. you'd be surprised just how much grip your tyres have and how much you can brake as long as its done progressively.

by doing this you allow the bike to settle to what you're doing so its not 'surprised' by what you're asking it to do and wont get overwhelmed.
____________________
CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:10 - 12 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember what the Forza 2 loading screen says - any grip used to brake isn't being used to stick to the road. In the wet I aim to be at the right speed before I start turning.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:03 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the front wheel locked and slid, how did you end up going over the handle bars with bald tyres in the wet?

If the tyres are bald or shit, replace them. They are only £20 each.
____________________
One day i will rule the world, just not today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:27 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're using your front brake way too much, and I don't quite understand why you do this -

moreati wrote:

1) Gradually apply front brake, 2) Apply back brake as necessary - basically what I do on a bicycle


On a bicycle I always use the back brake first, if you need to do a sudden stop then straight on with the back brake and gradually on with the front brake. If the back brake locks you can still control the bike by either controlling the skid or releasing the rear brake, then back on again. If the front brake locks, then unless you are very lucky that's you down on the ground.
The same applies to motorbikes. I've had to do the ocassional emergency stop. What I actually do is apply both brakes at the same time but more so on the rear brake, the rear has locked up once or twice but each time it's been more than enough to stop me before I got to whatever forced me to stop and I never felt like I was going to come off.

My personal opinion and from my own experiences, I would NEVER brake more with the front than with the back. It's just asking for trouble whatever the weather. Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:05 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
My personal opinion and from my own experiences, I would NEVER brake more with the front than with the back. It's just asking for trouble whatever the weather. Thumbs Up


While if you lock up the front it is far more likely to have you off than locking up the rear, on most bikes you have far more braking power from the front, and also far more grip.

Is greatly affected by the bike though. Something long and low (with the centre of gravity low and far back) will have the rear being far more useable.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moreati
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldy wrote:
If the front wheel locked and slid, how did you end up going over the handle bars with bald tyres in the wet?

Over the handlebars might be an embellishment. I don't have an accurate memory of actually coming off, just a snapshot of before and after. I may have come out of the side and the scooter fell in the same direction.
baldy wrote:
If the tyres are bald or shit, replace them. They are only £20 each.

The tyres aren't bald, they have only 600 miles on them. Though I am considering replacing them. I've since checked the pressure, it was down at 20 psi, should have been 34-36 psi and now is.

There is a difference between this and most other scooters - it's electric. So most of the weight is over the rear wheel, in the form of 8 lead acid batteries.

Alex
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pup
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 15 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

moreati wrote:
What I took away from CBT is 1) Gradually apply front brake, 2) Apply back brake as necessary


Both my stepson and myself have recently done the cbt at the same place (different days, same instructor). We have both got the impression that the back brake is to control speed and the front and rear is to stop. A friend of mine says to always use the front brake, but I thought is was more back because if the back locks up it is more controllable.
____________________
Sitting on the fence....

and laughing at both sides.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 15 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

front should be your main brake. 80% front 20% rear on the road.

in racing the rear is barely used at all. my racer m8 doesnt use his at all and in fact one of rossi's comments about braking was he maybe uses the rear 5% of the time. quote 'i just use it because its there' unquote.

when braking i, as mentioned above, apply pressure to the front, then squeeze and in a smooth motion i apply the back as well applying more force to the front if i need it. again, this is mainly just because its there. when i first started riding i didnt use the back brake at all except when stationary. if trail braking into a corner i tend to let off the front and use the back more to control my speed, but only lightly.

in my experience the rear is more for fine control than actually slowing you/stopping you.

you'd be surprised how much grip your front tyre has and how hard you can brake, just as long as its done smoothly.

the problems start when you panic brake or grab a handful. panicing will upset the bikes balance, load up the suspension and its momentum will overload the tyres. similarly grabbing a handful is likely to lock the wheel and thats the last thing you want to happen. a controllable wheel is a rolling wheel.
____________________
CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moreati
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 21 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been getting wetter, but I've been paying close attention to my technique and I believe I'm improving. Either way I've decided to upgrade the tyres. Peace of mind and is worth it.

Thanks all for your advice, Alex
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pup
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:34 - 21 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
front should be your main brake. 80% front 20% rear on the road.

...

in my experience the rear is more for fine control than actually slowing you/stopping you.

you'd be surprised how much grip your front tyre has and how hard you can brake, just as long as its done smoothly.

the problems start when you panic brake or grab a handful. panicing will upset the bikes balance, load up the suspension and its momentum will overload the tyres. similarly grabbing a handful is likely to lock the wheel and thats the last thing you want to happen. a controllable wheel is a rolling wheel.


Thanks for the advice! thinking back, that is probably what the instructor was trying to get across!
____________________
Sitting on the fence....

and laughing at both sides.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moreati
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 13 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To round off this thread. I had the tyres replaced a couple of weeks ago. The new ones (Bridgestone B01 iirc) are much better in the wet, and it only cost £60 for the lot.

Apparently I had two rear tyres originally.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way; if you are going slower than running pace, don't use front brake, make sure you cover the rear brake. Or get a combined brake scooter and forget the front brake Very Happy
At CBT course don't they tell people to cover the rear brake at slow speeds? Or was that an advanced training?
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick tip

if you looked down at your instruments at the wrong time an looked up again to see danger you are either looking at your instruments way to long or not leaving a big enough gap.
the highway code book says 2 seconds in the dry and 4 in the wet.

I know that i tend to look at my instruments way to long sometimes but i do make sure that i have a massive distance to the car in front in the wet.

(BTW i hate wet riding. i ride like a fairy in the wet)
____________________
Duke 390
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat | '11 Honda CBR250
Car: Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tyres were at only 20psi, I'd say that was your problem.

No bike will handle properly with tyres that low.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 15 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBassJunky wrote:
If your tyres were at only 20psi, I'd say that was your problem.

No bike will handle properly with tyres that low.


Not only that but he had two rear tyres on the bike/scooter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

moreati
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 16 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
Not only that but he had two rear tyres on the bike/scooter.


Thanks all. For future reference, how does one tell the difference between rear and front tyres (other than putting fitting them the wrong way around and falling off)?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.09 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 118.19 Kb