|
|
| Author |
Message |
| moreati |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 moreati Derestricted Danger
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:29 - 09 Oct 2009 Post subject: My 2nd spill, bad technique vs bad tyres in the wet? |
 |
|
Coming home tonight I came of my scooter, for the second time.
On both occasions I was braking from approx 15 mph with the front brake, and the road was wet. The first time I believe I had turned slightly into a left hand corner, so I placed the blame squarely on my technique. Tonight I was travelling more or less straight, maintaining my position in a queue of traffic. The front wheel (I believe) locked, when I applied the brake. There was no build up, one moment I was riding the next I was on the ground. I'd gone head first over the handle bar and landed on my front, with the rear of the scooter lying on my foot.
I'm fine, apart from a few aches, mainly thanks to the protective gear (boots and gloves in particular). The scooter is running, it has a few scratches a broken brake lever, a broken indicator cover, and a broken body panel.
The first time this happened, I put it entirely down to my poor technique (front braking whilst turning). Now I'm wondering how much was down to my technique, and how much to the performance of the front tyre in the wet.
How much difference is there between the standard tyres on a Chinese scooter vs (arguments sake) Peugeot scooter tyres vs after market tyres. Might better tyres have made a difference, or do I simply need instruction/practise in wet weather riding? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MattEMulsion |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MattEMulsion World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Aug 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ClaireBear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ClaireBear Traffic Copper

Joined: 27 Jun 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:51 - 11 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
As MattEMulsion said you should really be using the back brake as well.
The way I was taught was if you are going at slow speeds the back brake should be used more. If you dont think the back brake is enough and your having to wack the brake on quickly, its probably because your going too fast.
More front brake needs to be applied- as when the bike brakes the weight and momentum goes towards the front end- but I use the back brake too.
Its difficult to say about tyres- all depends on the quality of them. I would certainly ask a garage their view, I would imagine the more expensive the better quality but you never know.
Glad to hear your ok though  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Banned |
This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Banned World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:04 - 11 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
My 2nd spill, bad technique vs bad tyres in the wet?
Your title is made of Win IMO ... ! ...  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| moreati |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 moreati Derestricted Danger
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| supZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 supZ World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| metalangel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 metalangel World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Feb 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 08:10 - 12 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Remember what the Forza 2 loading screen says - any grip used to brake isn't being used to stick to the road. In the wet I aim to be at the right speed before I start turning. ____________________ Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| baldy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 baldy World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Feb 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:27 - 13 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think you're using your front brake way too much, and I don't quite understand why you do this -
| moreati wrote: |
1) Gradually apply front brake, 2) Apply back brake as necessary - basically what I do on a bicycle |
On a bicycle I always use the back brake first, if you need to do a sudden stop then straight on with the back brake and gradually on with the front brake. If the back brake locks you can still control the bike by either controlling the skid or releasing the rear brake, then back on again. If the front brake locks, then unless you are very lucky that's you down on the ground.
The same applies to motorbikes. I've had to do the ocassional emergency stop. What I actually do is apply both brakes at the same time but more so on the rear brake, the rear has locked up once or twice but each time it's been more than enough to stop me before I got to whatever forced me to stop and I never felt like I was going to come off.
My personal opinion and from my own experiences, I would NEVER brake more with the front than with the back. It's just asking for trouble whatever the weather.  ____________________ Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| moreati |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 moreati Derestricted Danger
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pup L Plate Warrior

Joined: 12 Oct 2009 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| supZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 supZ World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| moreati |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 moreati Derestricted Danger
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pup L Plate Warrior

Joined: 12 Oct 2009 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| moreati |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 moreati Derestricted Danger
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| calyx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 calyx World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:29 - 14 Nov 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
By the way; if you are going slower than running pace, don't use front brake, make sure you cover the rear brake. Or get a combined brake scooter and forget the front brake
At CBT course don't they tell people to cover the rear brake at slow speeds? Or was that an advanced training? ____________________ Boris - London |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| el_oso |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 el_oso World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 May 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cigaro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cigaro World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c-m |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c-m World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| moreati |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 moreati Derestricted Danger
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|