|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Jackers008 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jackers008 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 19 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:25 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: Re: Getting back on the road after an accident |
 |
|
| Jackers008 wrote: | Many thanks. |
It is hard, I've had a couple of (much less serious) accidents which made it hard for me to get confidence back on a bike. Most recently my main issue was that of having to get back on a powerful bike and ride in poor weather etc.
So Instead of doing that I sold the Fireblade and bought a Triumph speed four. I soon got back into the swing of things and my confidence came back quickly.
However, in your case I do feel that an R1 is a little much for someone of little riding experience, and I would say that you will be much less likely for you to get yourself into trouble on a smaller bike. Its all well and good trying to make yourself feel better by saying that it was entirely the van drivers fault. You must realise that some of the blame for the accident must lie with you. Whether it be poor obs or whatever... it is possible to avoid hitting a van, if it pulls out on you by way of forward planning, observation, appropriate speed and defensive riding. You need to learn from that mistake.
I'd also suggest doing an advanced riding course of some description, as the worst thing that could happen to you is that you get your confidence back quickly and the same thing happens again.
My advice is, try a smaller naked bike for a year or two and see how you get on before you rush back to the sportsbikes. See if your observation has improved, and see if you're a bit more careful in general. If so, you should be able to sensibly make the decision to get a bigger bike or whatever you want to do.
The key thing is not to get swept up in Top Trumps or riding games with your mates. Take it at YOUR pace and try to think objectively about what that pace is. Getting back on an R1 and riding at 100mph everywhere will either scare you off, or you'll hurt yourself again.
I don't want to sound too preachy, but being careful is the only way you'll get back in the saddle as it were.
Good luck!  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cptn. Awesome |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cptn. Awesome Crazy Courier
Joined: 12 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| effit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 effit Scooby Slapper

Joined: 18 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jackers008 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jackers008 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 19 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:45 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the response.
I can understand the r1 was a big machine at the young age I was but I had already owned a zxr 400 and gsxr 600 so I did not jump straight onto the r1 and I was aware of how powerful they were. So please do not try and assume that I was one of these young riders that just wanted the biggest bike around as this was the attitude most of the older bikers gave me without even knowing anything and it was pretty tedious to be honest. But anyhow if I get another bike it will be another zxr 400 as I loved the way it handled and the fact it was not stupidly fast. The van driver was charged by the police so I would like to think that none of it was my fault as I would be the first person to admit any mistake of my own  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:06 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Jackers008 wrote: | Thanks for the response.
I can understand the r1 was a big machine at the young age I was but I had already owned a zxr 400 and gsxr 600 so I did not jump straight onto the r1 and I was aware of how powerful they were. So please do not try and assume that I was one of these young riders that just wanted the biggest bike around as this was the attitude most of the older bikers gave me without even knowing anything and it was pretty tedious to be honest. But anyhow if I get another bike it will be another zxr 400 as I loved the way it handled and the fact it was not stupidly fast. The van driver was charged by the police so I would like to think that none of it was my fault as I would be the first person to admit any mistake of my own  |
Well, you were 18 and had a '98 R1...
Anyway. So the van driver was 100% at fault and he was charged. Despite this, I would say that you should not have been doing anywhere near 70mph if you had planned ahead and observed the junction etc (I know, I wasn't there and I didn't witness it - just hear me out for a minute!).
The thing about bike riding is that you can't just barrel around at 100mph everywhere. There are times when you can go fast, and times when you shouldn't. There was an element of bad luck in your accident I think, but if you now go out and do some advanced training it is much less likely for the same situation to occur again.
Your confidence issue is good, because it means that you WILL be careful. The best attitude to have about accidents is to realise that even if we are not legally to blame for it, there are lessons we can learn and things we can do differently in the future. The trick is to always analyse your own riding and be critical of it. That is the only way to improve.
I would like to think that none of the crashes I had were my fault in any way, but I have to admit that I am partially or wholly responsible for all of them. And I've learned a lot from it. I can't say that my most recent accident will be my last, but I can say that it was my fault and I've learned from it. (I've been riding ten years and had three relatively minor accidents on the road and one on the track.)
I'm sure there are very very few situations where someone can say "I did nothing wrong but still had an accident". Maybe if you got run over by a truck at standstill or something I guess. I'm not saying the accident was your fault, but I'm saying that there were probably things you could have done to at least make it less serious.
Take it one step at a time and try to be critical of your own riding.  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:16 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
As above, while the 'blame' can be assigned to another road user, it pretty much all accidents, it can also be prevented by the other party too.
I would recommend having a look at your local IAM group (not all are good) and seeing if they offer a free-first day to get an idea of what they do.
My instructor was happily taking single carrigway A-roads faster on his Pan than I normally would, with me on a CBR600.
'Bikesafe' is also worth considering, though having some knowledge of the area I found some of the cops a bit arrogant.
Oh and he didn't crash a 98R1, the 98R1 crashed /him/ . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jackers008 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jackers008 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 19 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jackers008 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jackers008 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 19 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Feasty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Feasty World Chat Champion
Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:09 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Jackers008 wrote: | Please come back to me when you have been through similar and see if you have the same attitude. Okay I could of been more observant etc but s**t happens on the roads. I didnt come here looking for sympathy. Why take such a high horse stance? You just sound like an idiot. |
That's just it though, it's highly unlikely I'll go through similar because I'm more careful how I ride and think far enough ahead. If I see a junction ahead I'll slow down to a speed that enables me to stop before a vehicle pulling out or at the very least avoid it.
I'm at least glad to see you do admit you could have been more observant and of course shit happens on the roads, that's why we have to be so observant in the first place! I'm not jumping on a high horse, just telling it as it is. An 18yr old coming on here saying you've crashed into a van at 70mph when it was pulling out on you but that none of it was your fault makes you look the idiot not me. I've just put in harsher words what others have already been saying in posts above.
The most important thing about you getting back on a bike again is seeing you made an error of judgement in your accident and how to avoid that happening again. Saying you don't think you were at fault makes me think you haven't learnt the lesson, but you now say you do actually realise you could've been more observant which is a good thing. So good luck to you!  ____________________ Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| supZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 supZ World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
could you lot please wind your necks in?!
the guys done nothing wrong by you and is simply asking for advice on getting back on the road after an accident and all you lot can do is jump down his throat because he was young and (god forbid) owned an r1!
no one knows any details of the accident so dont presume anything. i know we've had to put up with tonys bs lately but doesnt mean everyone is like that.
hardly a nice welcome for the lad
but anyway. not having been in the same situation as you jackers i dont know how much i can help (i've come off at higher speed than 70 but it was on the track so i just slid off and hurt my pride.. and my bike ) i cant begin to understand how tough it must have been on the road to recovery.
its a good thing you want to get back on the road though, proves a good state of mind
i can only suggest taking it easy and ease yourself into it with a few short rides and build your confidence back up as you way.
might even be worth booking a refresher with the local training centre just to brush up if you've been off the road for a few years as your live savers etc.. might be a bit rusty.
good luck to you m8 and hopefully you wont have to go through anything like that again ____________________ CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jackers008 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jackers008 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 19 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jamrock |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jamrock Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 25 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:58 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd personally say get a 125 or a 400 whilst you build your confidence up. CG125 that is Those things are fucking awesome. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| panrider_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 panrider_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jackers008 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jackers008 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 19 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kaz96 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kaz96 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 09 Sep 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:33 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi Jackers,
I had a low speed spill after a 7.5 tonne truck pulled out on me as I overtook it on an RXS100 years ago , after 4 years and a number of operations I was finally back on my feet, but by this time I had a 9 month old son - so I didn't get back on the bike! At the time I was still learning, still on L plates and sure I could have done something to reduce the accident, more obs, mounted the pavement, gone a different way etc... but it happened and I learnt from it!
This year I decided to get back on a bike, I had always loved it and was missing out going for rides with my son (now 13) and hub, so said stuff it I'm going to do it... after a few terrifying days training I started to get more and more confidence back and 6 months later took my test, I now ride a 500cc and love every minute of it.
To second supZ... go do a refresher day/course and give yourself time to build your confidence back up and take it one ride at a time!!!
Good luck and ride safe!
EDIT: I said I was still learning when I had the accident and meant to add that I still am learning... in fact have only just started to learn!!!
Last edited by Kaz96 on 17:39 - 19 Oct 2009; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:38 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
junction dont usually appear on 70mph zones...so im guessing you were speeding a bit, but who doesnt eh
Only thing i could really say is just make sure you are comfortable with riding again.
My solicitors are advising me to go on a motorcycle therapy course to get me back on the road after my crash, was pretty severe, but was at 30mph.
It was also held in my favour..still battling though!
I would say start off pretty careful, more observant...have you been driving a car since, that has helped me alot!
Defiantely try out a few bikes, just to get into the feel of it.
Where abouts are you from, if you want to get a feel of bikes again and live near me you are welcome to use my 500 to potter around a private road near me. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:43 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| panrider_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 panrider_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tom_B1H |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tom_B1H Nova Slayer

Joined: 03 Oct 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| panrider_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 panrider_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:47 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've been told size is important
Mark ____________________ Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jackers008 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jackers008 Derestricted Danger
Joined: 19 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:01 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Also, I'd like to add that when I was 18 I rode like a total knob. All of my friends rode like total knobs. We were all knobs! In fact, I was pretty much the 'captain safety' of the group despite the antics I got up to. And as for my non biking mates, I wouldn't trust any of them on bikes at that time.
If any of us had the brass balls to buy a '98 R1 (especially when it should be restricted to 33bhp), then the prediction wouldn't have been a happy one. I'm not sure that I knew any 18 year olds that could actually make rational decisions about stuff like cars and bikes. We were all to full of adrenaline and testosterone. It was all about top trumps as I recall. If we could all ride R1's and drive Lamborghinis we would have. And we would have written them all off too.
This is why you get "How can I make my 50cc bike do 100mph?" threads. I don't think any male can be classed as truly sensible until he is at least twenty years old. Which is probably why people are assuming that if you had an R1 at 18 then you rode like a bit of a dick. That is of course an assumption and we could be wrong.
I expect you obeyed every rule of the road and never did anything prattish on a bike ever!  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|