Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Locks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Glory Hunter
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Locks Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just bought a 2nd hand Yamaha XT660 and want to beef up my security before I pick it up.

At present I use an old Motrax Chain and Lock

I am also intending to buy an Oxford chain and alarmed disc lock:

https://www.bikermart.co.uk/prodimages/OF013G.jpg

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/11889.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a garage and the car park my bike is left in is unsecured. I chain my bike right outside my bedroom window so hoping the alarm will be loud enough to wake me up.

Also both chains will be run through the bike and into a set of railings (It's not my ground so can't put an anchor in).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on these devices or would recommend any alternatives.
____________________
2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners Sad
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve.... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FerretFing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Just about the best there is Thumbs Up

I use a Xena XN18 alarmed disc lock also - happy with it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Glory Hunter
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty frightening!!

I've just insured the bike with Carole Nash on the basis that it'll be secured with an Oxford Lock - maybe I need to give them a call and tell them I meant to say Almax...
____________________
2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners Sad
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve.... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glory Hunter wrote:
That's pretty frightening!!

I've just insured the bike with Carole Nash on the basis that it'll be secured with an Oxford Lock - maybe I need to give them a call and tell them I meant to say Almax...

I doubt you will get more discount with an almax, i dont with mine anyway. I think its something to do with backhanders to the security approval place or something but oxford locks generally are shit. Insurance companies love 'oxford' because they are approved but its all crap Evil or Very Mad I could break my oxford chain with a tin opener, where as my series 4 almax is the real deal. Thumbs Up
Buy a cheap oxford one for the 'listed security' that the insurance companies always want to see but buy an almax aswell.....
____________________
Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got an Almax and I can see why they get such good reviews. It's a serious bit of kit...

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_ibRsBqUgDKc/SsPUmcBC_gI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/qVrzsVOFlSg/s640/Goodies%201.jpg
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Glory Hunter
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I want to buy a cheap lock just to tick a box on an insurance form. Also, as much as having insurance is some peace of mind, I'd rather not have the bike nicked.

Think I'll give them a call and see what they say.
____________________
2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners Sad
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve.... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a new a york kryptonite D lock that used to protect my expensive mountain bike, through my wheel and fork.

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1096

Mark
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Glory Hunter
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Kryptonite Series 4 for my mountain bike which I also use on my Bandit overnight.

I'd be interested how the New Yorker stood up to the bolt croppers on the Almax site. I saw a video of a guy breaking one with a hyrdraulic jack: it took him five minutes and he had to turn the bike upside down to get the jack through it - not very practical with a motorbike!
____________________
2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners Sad
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve.... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodger wrote:
I've just got an Almax and I can see why they get such good reviews. It's a serious bit of kit...

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_ibRsBqUgDKc/SsPUmcBC_gI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/qVrzsVOFlSg/s640/Goodies%201.jpg


i had a lock similar to that and with a decent set of bolt cutters just goes right through it without any problems Thumbs Up
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Xena XUL210 U lock. If you can get through that with a car jack I'd be really surprised as it's a meaty motherfvcker. The alarm module in it is a waste of space though.

Another +1 for Almax chains for home use
____________________
Prize cunt
--
"In a world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindweezy wrote:


i had a lock similar to that and with a decent set of bolt cutters just goes right through it without any problems Thumbs Up


Really!? It's the lock that gets good reviews along with the Almax chains, and gets sold as part of the package? Confused
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FerretFing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Squire lock is top stuff - together with an Almax 4 chained to something solid you`ll have as good as you can get really. A good lock is vital, your security is as good as your weakest link - weak lock = weak security....in fact they`ll nick your Almax chain probably! Worth paying the extra just once to get the best security Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindweezy wrote:

i had a lock similar to that and with a decent set of bolt cutters just goes right through it without any problems Thumbs Up


If you mean the chain, then no you didn't. Almax chains can't be cut using the usual methods that bike thieves use. They have also never had anyone's bike being stolen where the chain has been cut.

It's also worth noting that the squire ss65 (think that's it) cannot be bumped.

If you mean bolt cutters go through the padlock, then how exactly are you going to cut it with bolt cutters when it's on the chain?

It took a locksmith 20 minutes to cut one with an angle grinder. It's one of the most secure padlocks you can buy.

Some other really expensive padlocks can be bumped. This one can't.

The weak part in the link is the squire lock. But that's only because the chain is even stronger than a really great padlock.


Last edited by johnsmith222 on 23:54 - 19 Oct 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindweezy wrote:
dodger wrote:
I've just got an Almax and I can see why they get such good reviews. It's a serious bit of kit...

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_ibRsBqUgDKc/SsPUmcBC_gI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/qVrzsVOFlSg/s640/Goodies%201.jpg


i had a lock similar to that and with a decent set of bolt cutters just goes right through it without any problems Thumbs Up

It wasn't similar to the Almax setup if it was cut with a set of bolt cutters.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its crap thing to have to say, but the only way to guarantee a bike like an XT660 won't get pinched if you're not keeping it in an alarmed locked garage attached to your home is to not buy one.

If you don't have that kind of security, I wouldn't buy that kind of bike because it will go. My KTM was parked under my bedroom window in full view of over 100 flats, chained to a lamppost and it got taken on the 13th day of ownership.

If I was you, I'd get that alarmed disk lock and chain to go through the back wheel plus a cheapo cyclone alarm. The idea is, if they mess with one thing, it'll set of the other. You basically get three layers of security all sort of linked up. (The cyclone alarm is a skoosh to fit yourself, just ignore all the immobiliser/remote start rubbish.)

The hell of it is, if they can cut the chain or padlock, they can just lift a bike like that and hump it in to the back of a van and be off, even if the alarm/s are sounding, the van will no doubt be lined with old matresses, no one will hear anything.

I have an F650, it's chained to an iron drain pipe and has an alarmed disk lock on, it sits about two feet from my head (outside the bedroom window.) There's only one way in and out of my wee 'compound' and there's a bakery (which other than keeping me in a state of half-sleep) runs all night, plus an old guy who frequently riffles through my wheelie bin for I know not what, he's exceptionally nosey. (There's also a security light which might be an option for you.)

If I was to move back into town I'd just sell it and go back to using my old TDM. It's alarmed and frankly, not very desirable.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Glory Hunter
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

I've now decided to go for a Xena XN15 disc lock as it has 110db alarm so should wake someone in my apartment complex (hopefully me!).

I'm also going to go for an Oxford chain plus the Motrax I already have and my Kryptonite when I'm not out on my push bike.

That's a maximum of four devices, two of which will be attached to the railings outside my flat.

I realise there is only so much I can do, the rest is down to the insurance.

At the end of the day, Carole Nash have given 3rd Party F&T for £129 with the only caveat being that an Oxford branded chain be fitted; if they were too concerned then I'm sure they would have gone a lot higher than that.

Also, my car park is not secure, but the bike will not be visible from the street, so there should be less opportunists just wandering by.
____________________
2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners Sad
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve.... Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 97.79 Kb