|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Glory Hunter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Glory Hunter Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 19 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:42 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: Locks |
 |
|
Hi all,
Just bought a 2nd hand Yamaha XT660 and want to beef up my security before I pick it up.
At present I use an old Motrax Chain and Lock
I am also intending to buy an Oxford chain and alarmed disc lock:
https://www.bikermart.co.uk/prodimages/OF013G.jpg
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/11889.jpg
Unfortunately I don't have a garage and the car park my bike is left in is unsecured. I chain my bike right outside my bedroom window so hoping the alarm will be loud enough to wake me up.
Also both chains will be run through the bike and into a set of railings (It's not my ground so can't put an anchor in).
Anyway, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on these devices or would recommend any alternatives. ____________________ 2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve....  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FerretFing |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FerretFing World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Glory Hunter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Glory Hunter Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 19 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:00 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
That's pretty frightening!!
I've just insured the bike with Carole Nash on the basis that it'll be secured with an Oxford Lock - maybe I need to give them a call and tell them I meant to say Almax... ____________________ 2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve....  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nb World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 May 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dodger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dodger Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Glory Hunter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Glory Hunter Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 19 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:59 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm not sure I want to buy a cheap lock just to tick a box on an insurance form. Also, as much as having insurance is some peace of mind, I'd rather not have the bike nicked.
Think I'll give them a call and see what they say. ____________________ 2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve....  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mark65 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mark65 World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 May 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Glory Hunter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Glory Hunter Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 19 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:16 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've got a Kryptonite Series 4 for my mountain bike which I also use on my Bandit overnight.
I'd be interested how the New Yorker stood up to the bolt croppers on the Almax site. I saw a video of a guy breaking one with a hyrdraulic jack: it took him five minutes and he had to turn the bike upside down to get the jack through it - not very practical with a motorbike! ____________________ 2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve....  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mystery |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mystery World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jul 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:59 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
i had a lock similar to that and with a decent set of bolt cutters just goes right through it without any problems  ____________________ Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ThoughtContro... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ThoughtContro... World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Aug 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dodger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dodger Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FerretFing |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FerretFing World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:09 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
The Squire lock is top stuff - together with an Almax 4 chained to something solid you`ll have as good as you can get really. A good lock is vital, your security is as good as your weakest link - weak lock = weak security....in fact they`ll nick your Almax chain probably! Worth paying the extra just once to get the best security  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| johnsmith222 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnsmith222 World Chat Champion
Joined: 26 Dec 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:18 - 19 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
| blindweezy wrote: |
i had a lock similar to that and with a decent set of bolt cutters just goes right through it without any problems  |
It wasn't similar to the Almax setup if it was cut with a set of bolt cutters. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:37 - 20 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Its crap thing to have to say, but the only way to guarantee a bike like an XT660 won't get pinched if you're not keeping it in an alarmed locked garage attached to your home is to not buy one.
If you don't have that kind of security, I wouldn't buy that kind of bike because it will go. My KTM was parked under my bedroom window in full view of over 100 flats, chained to a lamppost and it got taken on the 13th day of ownership.
If I was you, I'd get that alarmed disk lock and chain to go through the back wheel plus a cheapo cyclone alarm. The idea is, if they mess with one thing, it'll set of the other. You basically get three layers of security all sort of linked up. (The cyclone alarm is a skoosh to fit yourself, just ignore all the immobiliser/remote start rubbish.)
The hell of it is, if they can cut the chain or padlock, they can just lift a bike like that and hump it in to the back of a van and be off, even if the alarm/s are sounding, the van will no doubt be lined with old matresses, no one will hear anything.
I have an F650, it's chained to an iron drain pipe and has an alarmed disk lock on, it sits about two feet from my head (outside the bedroom window.) There's only one way in and out of my wee 'compound' and there's a bakery (which other than keeping me in a state of half-sleep) runs all night, plus an old guy who frequently riffles through my wheelie bin for I know not what, he's exceptionally nosey. (There's also a security light which might be an option for you.)
If I was to move back into town I'd just sell it and go back to using my old TDM. It's alarmed and frankly, not very desirable.
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Glory Hunter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Glory Hunter Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 19 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:24 - 20 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for all the input.
I've now decided to go for a Xena XN15 disc lock as it has 110db alarm so should wake someone in my apartment complex (hopefully me!).
I'm also going to go for an Oxford chain plus the Motrax I already have and my Kryptonite when I'm not out on my push bike.
That's a maximum of four devices, two of which will be attached to the railings outside my flat.
I realise there is only so much I can do, the rest is down to the insurance.
At the end of the day, Carole Nash have given 3rd Party F&T for £129 with the only caveat being that an Oxford branded chain be fitted; if they were too concerned then I'm sure they would have gone a lot higher than that.
Also, my car park is not secure, but the bike will not be visible from the street, so there should be less opportunists just wandering by. ____________________ 2003 Suzuki VanVan - Sold
2000 Honda CB500 - written off by a spoilt brat with no manners
2005 Yamaha XT660 - I'm in lurve....  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|