Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dirt gurus - a question?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Imonster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Dirt gurus - a question? Reply with quote

Tomorrow I'll be laning on my lady's bike - as it has been chucking it down I want to be running low pressures. On mine I'd probably run 8 in the back and 10 in the front, but I've got rimlocks, hers doesn't.

What do you reckon the lowest pressures I can get away with are? Having ripped the valve off her bikes front tube last week, I'm keen to avoid a repeat performance.

It's a light bike (Serow), if that makes a difference.

Ta muchly...
____________________
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run 15psi on my DR350 with no rimlocks with no problem, probably could've gone a little lower. That was on MT21s.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a ttr250, which is basically a slightly bigger serow.

I've ridden it with flat tyres for a few miles without problems. Running with low pressures, defintely gives better traction for off road. Particularly the back wheel, on terrain where you would otherwise be spinning the back wheel, it just bites in.

I'm not knowledgable about these things, just talking about my experience.

I don't know what a rim lock is, so please tell me.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Imonster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, cheers. Maybe go conservative option to avoid breaking her bike again tomorrow, and run at 16 rear, 18 front?
____________________
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Imonster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
I've got a ttr250, which is basically a slightly bigger serow.

I don't know what a rim lock is, so please tell me.


My bike is a 95 TTR 250 Very Happy But sadly needs a service, hence stealing the Doris' tomorrow.

I know very little about rimlocks too - all I know is that without them I used to get loads of punctures, and now I don't. So far as I understand, they stop the tire spinning on the rim when things get slippy, you don't rip the valve out the tube. You can also run lower pressures with them in, giving you a little more grip when things get slippy.

They're not very expensive, and when installed it just looks like the tyre has two valves.

Like I say, not an expert by any means, but would recommend them purely because IME I get less flats than I did before I had them installed Smile
____________________
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wouldn't really go much below 15psi or so without rimlocks, especially if it's got fairly knobbly tyres. Obviously can get away with a bit less on tyres that are quite road-biased, as they'll tend not to grip so much anyway.

As above, the rimlock basically clamps the tyre onto the wheel. Worth having if you're serious about off-roading.
Without them, the tyre can grip, but with little pressure in the tube holding the tyre onto the wheel, the wheel can spin inside it, ripping the valve off the innertube.

Running a very low pressure tyre (under 8psi) can cause pinch flats. Rockier terrain and more pressure needed. There's various ways to convery rims to tubless, but they're all a bit of hassle. The tubliss system I've got is quite good that it also acts as a big rimlock too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:22 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 15/18 on my little Honda, if that's at all relelvant to your situation.

I will be reducing this as it gets wetter, but was looking at 10/12 minimum.
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:27 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you go down to with rimlocks? Just out of interest.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not actually ridden a winter but have been advised that at a push go to 8 but staying in double figures is preferable.

I guess it's going to be a case of trial and error as the bike size, rider size and conditons all have such a big bearing.

EDIT: On extra thick tubes now
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 24 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon my rear must have been about 5psi on the 690 in a particularly 'gnarly' rocky section in spain at one point - but this is with the tubliss that means no tube and uber-rimlock. Pretty sure it would have caused some pinch flats if I didn't have it. 8psi is about the minimum with a heavy duty tube.

Wouldn't go much below 15 without rimlocks - if you remember my first dirt ride on the 690, that 'puncture' was due to the valve getting pulled because the (pretty road biased) tyre was at too low pressure without a rimlock. Luckily it only just stretched the rubber too much, rather than ripping it off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

S
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 27 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:

I don't know what a rim lock is, so please tell me.


I thought I knew but I checked online for a definition:

Rim locks are used to prevent tires from slipping around motorcycle rims. They are primarily used on off-road bikes and/or any application using low tire pressure for enhancing off-road traction. Aggressive off-road tires or under-inflated tires are prone to slipping on the rim under hard acceleration or braking. In such cases, a rim lock saves the inner tube’s valve stem from damage.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 1.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 68.9 Kb