|
|
| Author |
Message |
| KTM |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KTM L Plate Warrior
Joined: 27 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 04:31 - 27 Oct 2009 Post subject: Enduro; Advice + Routes |
 |
|
First things first, I'm new on here but been a frequent poster on numerous bike forums over the years
This might turn into a longish post so be prepared for a long read
I'm looking into getting an enduro bike. Up to now I have my mind set on a 05-07 WF 426/450 or a 07 KTM 450/520 EXC. Also thought about a KTM 250/300 EXC 2t but can't decide whether or not if I want a 2t.
Any known problems / things to look out for on the bikes mentioned above?
The bike would be used every other Saturday/Sunday at the very most. It would be used for fun and not to commute on.
Any other recommendations would be taken on board. It must be 400cc+ (no DRZs) and road legal.
The main thing putting me off getting one is the fact I have no idea where to use it off road or on green lanes.
If I'm being honest I much prefer the mud, hills and jumps that off road riding brings than road riding. The only reason I'm opting for an enduro (over a full mx bike) is so I can ride it to desired locations.
I've had a look at the sticky at the top of this page, but even after reading it several times over I can't make sense on how to local legal green lanes / off road tracks
I'm located near Farnworth, which is close to Salford and Bolton.
If anyone can help me understand the sticky or state where some good green lanes / off road tracks are that would be very much appreciated.
I think that's all for now.
Thanks again |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tonka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tonka World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:40 - 27 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
The most obvious place to head for knowledge on the green lanes in your area will be the Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF) www.trf.org.uk and the you can find your local area Group.
However, do beware they are Trail Riders rather than Enduro and as such discourage the lanes being used for fast, noisy biking.
As for the Enduro questions we have a club here in Dorset that has info on the lanes and also Enduro and wherever possible they try to make sure the two are kept separate!!
Not sure if there is anything like that in your area? Ours is via the company that organises the Enduros and a shop/garage that specialises in MX and Enduro.
Not sure if that helps?  ____________________ 'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KTM |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KTM L Plate Warrior
Joined: 27 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:08 - 27 Oct 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'll check the web site out, thanks.
Regarding MX tracks, I'm actually not a big fan of those, I much prefer free roaming on green lanes and being able to go at my own pace and stop when I want etc.
I'd love to get a test ride on some but like you say I doubt it will be possible
I did have a full mx Suzuki RM 125 and a Yamaha WR 400 a few years back and enjoyed both.
I'm thinking my best bet will be to find a local group and go on some green lanes with them on organized days, then on days when I want to go do some green lanes and no one else is able to come I will at least know where to go, albeit on my own.
Any other advice/info is appreciated. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| HoggyF |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 HoggyF Nova Slayer

Joined: 28 Feb 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|