Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Enduro; Advice + Routes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

KTM
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:31 - 27 Oct 2009    Post subject: Enduro; Advice + Routes Reply with quote

First things first, I'm new on here but been a frequent poster on numerous bike forums over the years Thumbs Up

This might turn into a longish post so be prepared for a long read Mr. Green

I'm looking into getting an enduro bike. Up to now I have my mind set on a 05-07 WF 426/450 or a 07 KTM 450/520 EXC. Also thought about a KTM 250/300 EXC 2t but can't decide whether or not if I want a 2t.

Any known problems / things to look out for on the bikes mentioned above?

The bike would be used every other Saturday/Sunday at the very most. It would be used for fun and not to commute on.

Any other recommendations would be taken on board. It must be 400cc+ (no DRZs) and road legal.

The main thing putting me off getting one is the fact I have no idea where to use it off road or on green lanes.

If I'm being honest I much prefer the mud, hills and jumps that off road riding brings than road riding. The only reason I'm opting for an enduro (over a full mx bike) is so I can ride it to desired locations.

I've had a look at the sticky at the top of this page, but even after reading it several times over I can't make sense on how to local legal green lanes / off road tracks Embarassed

I'm located near Farnworth, which is close to Salford and Bolton.

If anyone can help me understand the sticky or state where some good green lanes / off road tracks are that would be very much appreciated.

I think that's all for now.

Thanks again
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonka
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:40 - 27 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most obvious place to head for knowledge on the green lanes in your area will be the Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF) www.trf.org.uk and the you can find your local area Group.

However, do beware they are Trail Riders rather than Enduro and as such discourage the lanes being used for fast, noisy biking.

As for the Enduro questions we have a club here in Dorset that has info on the lanes and also Enduro and wherever possible they try to make sure the two are kept separate!! Wink

Not sure if there is anything like that in your area? Ours is via the company that organises the Enduros and a shop/garage that specialises in MX and Enduro.

Not sure if that helps? Confused
____________________
'The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences'
Suzuki SV650S (Clean); Yamaha XT250 Serow (Dirty)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 27 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think if at all possible, getting some test rides is worth it.
I think a 300cc 2 stroke is an excellent 'jack of all trades'. Wide and flat power delivery, along with very light weight. Can hold it's own on a motocross track too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KTM
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 27 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check the web site out, thanks.

Regarding MX tracks, I'm actually not a big fan of those, I much prefer free roaming on green lanes and being able to go at my own pace and stop when I want etc.

I'd love to get a test ride on some but like you say I doubt it will be possible Sad

I did have a full mx Suzuki RM 125 and a Yamaha WR 400 a few years back and enjoyed both.

I'm thinking my best bet will be to find a local group and go on some green lanes with them on organized days, then on days when I want to go do some green lanes and no one else is able to come I will at least know where to go, albeit on my own.

Any other advice/info is appreciated.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HoggyF
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 27 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if this will help, but I'm up in Cumbria and I found (can't remember where though!) a link to the local County Council access officer who provides marked up OS maps on a websire that show all the legal byways
https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transport-road-safety/countryside-access/HOTR/OS90.asp

Also try Trailwise:-
https://www.trailwise.org.uk/index.php

Beware with trailwise though, a lot of forums say that its not totally accurate and I've found that it isn't up to date with some roads showing on it that have been closed by Traffic Orders.

Try just posting a request on here to go out with people in your area.

Good luck
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.27 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 45.86 Kb