Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Few more Q's...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:25 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Few more Q's... Reply with quote

Hello again guys and girls, once again I'm in need of advice on a few things, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

1) How do I prevent my helmet misting? I've got a Caberg Trip and all it seems to do now is fog up as soon as I put it on.

2) After 2 weeks of commuting, my visor has scratches on it. Can I repair these or should I buy a new visor?

3) I'm coming up for my 600 mile service, is this really just a glorified oil change, and how much can I expect it to cost(ish)?

4) Best product for protecting chrome elements of a bike?

I know I've asked a lot, but I figure it's better than 4 threads... Any help will be duly noted and given +1 karma

Very Happy Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:53 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: Few more Q's... Reply with quote

vanflyheight13 wrote:
Hello again guys and girls, once again I'm in need of advice on a few things, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

1) How do I prevent my helmet misting? I've got a Caberg Trip and all it seems to do now is fog up as soon as I put it on.

2) After 2 weeks of commuting, my visor has scratches on it. Can I repair these or should I buy a new visor?

3) I'm coming up for my 600 mile service, is this really just a glorified oil change, and how much can I expect it to cost(ish)?

4) Best product for protecting chrome elements of a bike?

I know I've asked a lot, but I figure it's better than 4 threads... Any help will be duly noted and given +1 karma

Very Happy Very Happy


I have the same helmet and I've never noticed it misting up before. If it does though, just open it a notch and all should be ok pretty quickly. I know you can get some visors with an anti-fog layer. If you are looking to get a new visor because of some scratches this might be a good chance to look in to this.

How bad are the scratches though? I have tons on mine but they are small and don't make any difference to my riding.

The 600 mile service can be as simple as an oil change but a good mechanic is likely to check that everything is still working after the first time the bike has been on the road. This can include chain, tires, brakes and battery etc...
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ditto
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:45 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the Caberg Trip and don't really have problems with misting. Sometimes the left hand side fogs up but i dont know why its only that side. Only when im at a standstill though, usually just flip it up a notch when started moving and it sorts it out.

You can get some anti fog sprays, but im afraid i can't tell you how well they work.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: Few more Q's... Reply with quote

vanflyheight13 wrote:

1) How do I prevent my helmet misting? I've got a Caberg Trip and all it seems to do now is fog up as soon as I put it on.


Try some Fairy liquid on the inside. Apply a little bit, buff it in so it's clear again, it will leave a film to stop the mist.

If that fails, you can get anti-mist sprays from your local bike shop.

In a pinch, open the visor a crack. (are your vents all open?)

Quote:
2) After 2 weeks of commuting, my visor has scratches on it. Can I repair these or should I buy a new visor?


Depends on how bad they are.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - With the visor - the easy thing to do is leave it open a little when you're at a standstill or moving slowly. Once you're away at a reasonable speed, then you shouldn't have any problem with it fully closed.

2 - The surface of visors get faintly scratched easily with debris, bugs and what not. It's only worth replacing your visor if the scratches impare your vision or they're so irritating as to be distracting. A good clean and polish should mask most surface scratches.

3 - Get it serviced by the dealer - it's well worth making sure that everything is working to specification on a new bike, and having that stamp in your service manual is valuable if/when you come to selling the bike on. I'd have thought they'd throw the first service in with the purchase on a new bike too. If not, the cost very much depends on the bike, but you're probably looking at around £80-150.

4 - If it's already dirty, Autosol works brilliantly for cleaning/polishing chrome. Once it's clean, treat it with a coat ACF-50 along with the rest of your bike. For information and guidance on using ACF-50 just search the forum or google. But it'll take about 15 minutes to apply once your bike's clean, and it'll protect everything through the winter from corrosion and weathering.
____________________
Current: Ducati Panigale R / Ducati Streetfighter S / Suzuki GSX-R1000 L5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 14 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are a great help, the fairy liquid did the trick today and I'm quitre impressed that something so simple could fix it Very Happy

As the weather's absolutly foul today and the wind's kinda high, I've decided to take it down for service next week, hopefulyl all will be fine and it won't cost me Smile

Thanks for the help!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 51.97 Kb