Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Boots, all-weather with Good Lower leg/ankle protection?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Boots, all-weather with Good Lower leg/ankle protection? Reply with quote

Being currently grounded due to ankle surgery (non-motorbike-related) and wanting to look after my ankle in the future, I'm considering the options for lower leg/ankle protection.

I've currently got a pair of Frank Thomas aqua boots which I bought when starting out. They have a small plastic(?) pad over the ankle bone, a shin pad and are fully waterproof. They're not very rigid.

I also have a pair of German army boots which are probably 'tougher' leather, but don't have the ankle or shin guards. They're Weather-proof enough. I like these boots.


What I'd like is a pair of boots that will:
-withstand crushing,
-support/protect the ankle and shin
-Be reasonable to walk in a bit
-keep the rain out (not necessarily gore-tex/membrane)
-I'd like leather outers rather than plastic so that they can breathe and I can coat them with Nikwax or Dubbin.

What are the Alt-Berg ones like? They look to be quite good, but don't appear to be armoured or give that much ankle support.

Which MX boots might be suitable?

cheers
____________________
TDM850


Last edited by Smooth on 12:36 - 11 Dec 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MX boots don't tend to be waterproof. I can't actually answer this question, as it is one I will be looking into over christmas. What I would say is stay the hell away from Sidi Black Rain boots, they leak worse than a 14 year old girl at a Take That concert.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidi Black Rain Evo are very tough for what they are. Armour on the front of the shin part and on the ankle. They're also pretty comfy to walk in, if a little sweaty sometimes. I've had mine for 4 years and they are tatty and worn on the sole, but as comfy and warm as ever. They have protected my feet in a couple of minor offs.

If I were to get some new boots to use all year round I would buy another pair of these.
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
What I would say is stay the hell away from Sidi Black Rain boots, they leak worse than a 14 year old girl at a Take That concert.


Pernig wrote:
Sidi Black Rain Evo......If I were to get some new boots to use all year round I would buy another pair of these.



that's the beauty of an internet forum!
Laughing



Did the Black Rain leak through the leather or through the seams/sole?
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Bodge wrote:


that's the beauty of an internet forum!
Laughing

Did the Black Rain leak through the leather or through the seams/sole?


They leaked where the sole meets the uppers, I've tried everything I can to stop them doing it but the only thing that worked for a short time was plugging the sole/uppers interface with dubbin. Eventually that was washed away and they leaked again, plus I shouldn't have to do that for a so-called waterproof boot.

I am looking for a truly waterproof boot, I'm not as worried about protection, although some would be nice. The other problem with the Black Rain is that the sole doesn't wrap around the toe either, if you stub your toe it is easy to pull the sole away slightly and again they leak.

I've been told that the Alpinestars SMX-R Goretex are OK but pricey.

I'll keep looking, although Gore-tex is a must, as it's the only true waterproof membrane, shell-tex and similar leak, trust me I know through experience.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean about the sole/upper joint.

https://89.234.4.85/imagestream/3924/23450x800x600_FFFFFF_M.jpg
Could you paint melted nikwax or the Aqueous stuff onto it?


These Sidi Couriers look fairly hardcore! :
https://89.234.4.85/imagestream/3924/41965x800x600_FFFFFF_M.jpg[/img]
They appear to be MX-influenced and I like the stitched sole

-Is the metal toe tip for kicking cars?

As usual, cost is an issue, although I can justify more cash for safety.
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody experienced a crash in Altbergs like these?

https://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/boots/images/ClubClasBBig.jpg

[/img]
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCX GTX.

Waterproof and sturdy.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/CompetizioneS_GTX300.jpg
____________________
Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600

APT Motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use steel top cap boots and they give a decent amount of support but probs not as well as some of the other boots ^
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all posted above, i suggest Sports boots.

I had a nice set of Buse boots, managed to hold up the bike crushing my left foot, and the car hitting my right pretty well....

Warm, waterproof, leather and breathable...

Not bad for £50.

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:28 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the sturdyness of them as I'm yet to crash in them but my Astars SMX4 WPs are supremely waterproof, unless I'm in jeans and the water gets in through the top of the boot my feet stay bone dry regardless of how hard it's hammering down Thumbs Up

Only gripe is the outer velcro is a little weedy. When I do replace them it'll either be for SMX5 WPs or a pair of Daytonas if I'm feeling frisky Smile
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worn a pair of Sidi Evo Black Rain in torrential rain, I can say with all honesty that they are not 100% waterproof, they will eventually leak at the toe between the upper and the sole.

I also had a RTC in them which ended with 9 fractures of my left foot. After the accident I bought a pair of Sidi Mega Gore boots, higher levels of protection and 100% waterproof, double the price but if I ever end up in a RTC again I will be wearing a "better" boot.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these last winter, awesome they are.
https://www.alpinestars.com/store/ProductImages/details/244207_large.jpg
https://www.alpinestars.com/Ridge_Waterproof_Boot/pd/c/113/np/113/p/244207.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.88 Kb