Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My TZR125 half-de-ratting!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Aleks
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:44 - 14 Jan 2010    Post subject: My TZR125 half-de-ratting! Reply with quote

Hey, I've posted here before a few times, but basically the story is I bought a ratted TZR125 1991 from a mate, first 125... I bought it purely because it was born in the same year as me (1991!) and... Well, there've been a few hiccups but I'm getting through it Smile


Firstly there was the problem of 'No Front Brake' which has been a big issue from the beginning, but luckilly today I went to Milton Keynes and met a sound bloke called Roger from Ebay and went home with a shiny new used caliper Very Happy

It's on the bike now and so... I'm happy, and able to stop (or at least I will be when I get some DOT4)

I've also got my college to respray my fairings and tank laquer black, which I should pick up and take pictures of tomorrow... I think they'll look great on the bike Smile

So here's the reason I'm posting...

Earlier while fitting my brake I realised that the ignition block on the bike is wobbly... So I took the tacho-unit off and had a gander... Turns out that instead of the standard two bolts holding it on, I had one thin bolt with a nut on the end that moved with the entire assembly... So, unable to unbolt it to remove it, I did what I had to and snapped it off. Now here's the question of the day:

If I take what's left of that to Nobles, what are the odds of them having something that'll do the job? I don't mind a partial rat effort if it's what must be done to hold the thing together Razz If not Nobles, do you know anywhere that just stocks masses of variously sized bolts?

Oh and also I discovered my battery holds no charge and so I need another. Great.

Furthermore the guy I bought it off told me today he can't find the V5 docs OR afford to buy them off the DVLA... So I'm gonna have to shell out for that too. Arsepain. Then again he was made redundant so I can't be too angry.

So conclusively, the to-do list is as follows:

Arrow New Battery
Arrow Assorted Bolts
Arrow Indicator Bulb
Arrow DOT4
Arrow Mirrors
Arrow Airbox Filter Element

That's the lot then as far as I'm concerned, I'm ready for an MOT Very Happy

Here are the pics..

https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs166.snc1/6210_115299390891_584260891_2432458_5694228_n.jpg
That's what it looked like before I got it

https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs245.snc1/9217_157395150891_584260891_2879977_214718_n.jpg
That's what it looked like just after I got it

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs265.snc1/9217_157395160891_584260891_2879978_3780540_n.jpg
The fairings and things I've got sprayed black

https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs265.snc1/9217_157395210891_584260891_2879984_717606_n.jpg
I've worked the rust off of the handlebars with a helluvalot of Autosol and Elbow Grease Razz

https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs265.snc1/9217_157395215891_584260891_2879985_449369_n.jpg
From the front: I think the TZR is a gorgeous bike Very Happy


More pics to come tomorrow, hopefully with the new shinyness of black Smile

If you can see anything plainly wrong with the bike from the pics, please let me know!

-Aleks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Billing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:44 - 14 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some normal allen bolts should hold the ignition lock in place just fine. (as standard they're star drive with a little peg in the middle, which acts as a security feature)

If the threads been stripped in your top yoke, then I have 2 spares knocking around (ones has been polished in the centre) that you can have for not alot Smile
____________________
'84 TS50X, '91 TZR125, '89 CBR400RR, '91 VFR400R NC30, '98 R1
"Hey copernicus! Why don't you navigate yourself to the back of the line with your feet and stand there with your shit."
BCF Eastern members map here ---> g.co/maps/2tm8b PM me to be added to it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aleks
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 14 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251637875891_584260891_3455884_1440942_n.jpg
The tank Very Happy

I think it looks a damn sight better than it did...
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs245.snc1/9217_157395240891_584260891_2879988_2264028_n.jpg hehe

Here be a picture of my 'workshop'
https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251637880891_584260891_3455885_4051698_n.jpg
It's freezing. Literally the same temperature as the world outside hehe.

At college today I swung by the engineering bay, and the first part of the spraywork's done for me to take home, my shiny new radiator grill Very Happy
https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251637890891_584260891_3455886_6161805_n.jpg

https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251637905891_584260891_3455887_5960121_n.jpg
This is the current state of the front end... I've taken it all down so I can fix the ignition block..

I've got pics of the area in 3 steps, I hope you can see what I mean about the long-ass bolts I need to find...
https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251637940891_584260891_3455890_239627_n.jpg
https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251637950891_584260891_3455891_109035_n.jpg

Y'see the bolts have to be real long to get down these two sets of holes, and have a nut at the end to apply pressure...
https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251637965891_584260891_3455892_1224501_n.jpg
https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251637975891_584260891_3455893_2148084_n.jpg

Oh yes, and here's my brand new second hand front brake Smile
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_251637925891_584260891_3455889_3448609_n.jpg

Thinking about it I don't think I explained my seat.... It's basically a custom jobbie, made using the leather from an old bar seat Razz It's really comfy and still smells like pub Rolling Eyes
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_251637985891_584260891_3455894_4055616_n.jpg
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_251638000891_584260891_3455895_5040707_n.jpg
(There's no damage to it, it's just got a bit dirty towards the bottom from being in my shed)


Finally here's some before and after shots of my radiator grill.... Definately a step in the right direction if you ask me.

Before:
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs245.snc1/9217_157395175891_584260891_2879980_4403199_n.jpg

After:
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_251637910891_584260891_3455888_3547477_n.jpg

Before (on bike) :
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_251638010891_584260891_3455896_194493_n.jpg

After (on bike) :
https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_251638035891_584260891_3455898_1117111_n.jpg


I did worry when I saw the pics of the bare radiator come out on my camera... You can't see that patch of darkness on the rad in normal lighting, but I had a look and no, it's not a leak or anything so.... I guess it's just another mystery of the TZR 125!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank and radiator cover look superb Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aleks
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 16 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man Smile I wanted a generic colour for it that's still you know- awesome Very Happy

Anyone got any advice on where I can get bolts for my ignition block?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Billing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 16 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like your top yokes been hacked about mate, none of mine have holes going all the way through :S if the thread is still the same size and pitch then a standard allen bolt will do fine Smile
____________________
'84 TS50X, '91 TZR125, '89 CBR400RR, '91 VFR400R NC30, '98 R1
"Hey copernicus! Why don't you navigate yourself to the back of the line with your feet and stand there with your shit."
BCF Eastern members map here ---> g.co/maps/2tm8b PM me to be added to it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 16 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be popping along to your local screw shop - taking the old one's for a comparison. I'd also get the caliper sprayed red for added tartyness. Wink
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aleks
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 17 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillingTZR wrote:
Some normal allen bolts should hold the ignition lock in place just fine. (as standard they're star drive with a little peg in the middle, which acts as a security feature)

If the threads been stripped in your top yoke, then I have 2 spares knocking around (ones has been polished in the centre) that you can have for not alot Smile



In light of the fact that one hole in the top yoke's been bored out a tad, how much is not a lot?

And have you got it in silver? Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Billing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally all 3 need a quick spray over but can be used, the one with a polished centre looks decent enough Smile

cheap to me is a tenner posted Smile
____________________
'84 TS50X, '91 TZR125, '89 CBR400RR, '91 VFR400R NC30, '98 R1
"Hey copernicus! Why don't you navigate yourself to the back of the line with your feet and stand there with your shit."
BCF Eastern members map here ---> g.co/maps/2tm8b PM me to be added to it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aleks
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 17 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, see my problem here is I have no money as it is... And it'd be cheaper to just get bolts.

I'll have to put new top yoke on the Optional Upgrade list, right now I just need to get the Legally Required list ticked off so I can MOT it and ride for the first time in 9 months.

Fuck the recession, robbed my job Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aleks
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 18 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today's progress!

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258540805891_584260891_3488090_2440295_n.jpg

Bits were ready to take home Very Happy Tank, Mudguard and like.... I dunno what to call it... Tail end?
https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258540815891_584260891_3488091_5648309_n.jpg

Then I put the stuff on to see what it'd look like and take pictures to masturbate to. Just kidding. But really, I fucking LOVE the look of this bike Very Happy
https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258540820891_584260891_3488092_2536423_n.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on my side fairings and I've got what I hope will unanimously be known as a sexy bike Very Happy
https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258540835891_584260891_3488093_4145945_n.jpg

My tank is definately the highlight Very Happy
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258540840891_584260891_3488094_5109160_n.jpg

Finished product below!
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258540845891_584260891_3488095_5357392_n.jpg

And once again with hole revealed Wink
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258540855891_584260891_3488096_5146651_n.jpg

The bike being fuelled ready for a massive ammount of bumpstarts to get the petrol flowing again and life to live again Very Happy
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258540870891_584260891_3488097_2586262_n.jpg

And another angle XD
https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258541550891_584260891_3488099_5783022_n.jpg

Still no solution to the ignition block thing though...
https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258541565891_584260891_3488100_3654980_n.jpg

Looks stupid don't it Razz
https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258541575891_584260891_3488101_7316375_n.jpg

I'm very fucking proud XD
https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258541585891_584260891_3488102_7738078_n.jpg

Also need to sort out some DOT4 so my front brake can actually... You know- brake.
https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18872_258541595891_584260891_3488103_1422856_n.jpg

Battery's fucked. But has enough charge to let me start the bike, which is nice. Anyone got an idea where I can get a replacment CB4L-B? (on the cheap ideally, as I'm screwed for cash now)
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258541600891_584260891_3488104_6662115_n.jpg

Mudguard's a resounding success, though I can't shake the feeling I put it on backwards :S
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258541615891_584260891_3488105_5279959_n.jpg

A little work-in-progress shot for good measure Smile
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258541630891_584260891_3488106_6486905_n.jpg

A side-on pic of the bike: note the fingerprints due to relentless bumpstarting Sad
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258542175891_584260891_3488112_782581_n.jpg

Front end's still a wire spaghetti mess until I can find some bolts for the ignition block... Need to make a trip to Nobles in Daventry (anyone who knows it knows it's the best)
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs161.snc3/18872_258542180891_584260891_3488113_1714242_n.jpg

So that's pretty much it, though I did make a video in the dark of the revs... Engine sounds..... About as healthy as an 18 year old engine should I think..... Any recommendations?

https://www.facebook.com/v/258554035891

Two things notice/slightly trouble me though...

1. My throttle sticks... Any idea how to diagnose and fix a sticky throttle?

2. My clutch doesn't put the bike in Neutral... I think it should but I'm not sure. It's kinda hard to explain but basically if the bike is in neutral I can push it around easy as, but if it's in gear and I pull the clutch in to push it around it's stiff and there's definately some like... Friction going on in the engine cause you can hear it sorta half-assedly turning the engine over and being really fookin' hard to push... Any help there?

Thanks a lot guys, I hope you like my bike; I'm working hard to document it's return from Rattery Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 87.95 Kb