|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Aleks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aleks Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 09 Feb 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:44 - 14 Jan 2010 Post subject: My TZR125 half-de-ratting! |
 |
|
Hey, I've posted here before a few times, but basically the story is I bought a ratted TZR125 1991 from a mate, first 125... I bought it purely because it was born in the same year as me (1991!) and... Well, there've been a few hiccups but I'm getting through it
Firstly there was the problem of 'No Front Brake' which has been a big issue from the beginning, but luckilly today I went to Milton Keynes and met a sound bloke called Roger from Ebay and went home with a shiny new used caliper
It's on the bike now and so... I'm happy, and able to stop (or at least I will be when I get some DOT4)
I've also got my college to respray my fairings and tank laquer black, which I should pick up and take pictures of tomorrow... I think they'll look great on the bike
So here's the reason I'm posting...
Earlier while fitting my brake I realised that the ignition block on the bike is wobbly... So I took the tacho-unit off and had a gander... Turns out that instead of the standard two bolts holding it on, I had one thin bolt with a nut on the end that moved with the entire assembly... So, unable to unbolt it to remove it, I did what I had to and snapped it off. Now here's the question of the day:
If I take what's left of that to Nobles, what are the odds of them having something that'll do the job? I don't mind a partial rat effort if it's what must be done to hold the thing together If not Nobles, do you know anywhere that just stocks masses of variously sized bolts?
Oh and also I discovered my battery holds no charge and so I need another. Great.
Furthermore the guy I bought it off told me today he can't find the V5 docs OR afford to buy them off the DVLA... So I'm gonna have to shell out for that too. Arsepain. Then again he was made redundant so I can't be too angry.
So conclusively, the to-do list is as follows:
New Battery
Assorted Bolts
Indicator Bulb
DOT4
Mirrors
Airbox Filter Element
That's the lot then as far as I'm concerned, I'm ready for an MOT
Here are the pics..
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs166.snc1/6210_115299390891_584260891_2432458_5694228_n.jpg
That's what it looked like before I got it
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs245.snc1/9217_157395150891_584260891_2879977_214718_n.jpg
That's what it looked like just after I got it
https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs265.snc1/9217_157395160891_584260891_2879978_3780540_n.jpg
The fairings and things I've got sprayed black
https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs265.snc1/9217_157395210891_584260891_2879984_717606_n.jpg
I've worked the rust off of the handlebars with a helluvalot of Autosol and Elbow Grease
https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs265.snc1/9217_157395215891_584260891_2879985_449369_n.jpg
From the front: I think the TZR is a gorgeous bike
More pics to come tomorrow, hopefully with the new shinyness of black
If you can see anything plainly wrong with the bike from the pics, please let me know!
-Aleks |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Billing |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Billing World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:44 - 14 Jan 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Some normal allen bolts should hold the ignition lock in place just fine. (as standard they're star drive with a little peg in the middle, which acts as a security feature)
If the threads been stripped in your top yoke, then I have 2 spares knocking around (ones has been polished in the centre) that you can have for not alot  ____________________ '84 TS50X, '91 TZR125, '89 CBR400RR, '91 VFR400R NC30, '98 R1
"Hey copernicus! Why don't you navigate yourself to the back of the line with your feet and stand there with your shit."
BCF Eastern members map here ---> g.co/maps/2tm8b PM me to be added to it! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aleks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aleks Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 09 Feb 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:13 - 14 Jan 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:21 - 15 Jan 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
The tank and radiator cover look superb  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aleks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aleks Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 09 Feb 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:48 - 16 Jan 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks man I wanted a generic colour for it that's still you know- awesome
Anyone got any advice on where I can get bolts for my ignition block? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Billing |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Billing World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:44 - 16 Jan 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
looks like your top yokes been hacked about mate, none of mine have holes going all the way through :S if the thread is still the same size and pitch then a standard allen bolt will do fine  ____________________ '84 TS50X, '91 TZR125, '89 CBR400RR, '91 VFR400R NC30, '98 R1
"Hey copernicus! Why don't you navigate yourself to the back of the line with your feet and stand there with your shit."
BCF Eastern members map here ---> g.co/maps/2tm8b PM me to be added to it! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:52 - 16 Jan 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd be popping along to your local screw shop - taking the old one's for a comparison. I'd also get the caliper sprayed red for added tartyness.  ____________________ Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aleks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aleks Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 09 Feb 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Billing |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Billing World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:15 - 17 Jan 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ideally all 3 need a quick spray over but can be used, the one with a polished centre looks decent enough
cheap to me is a tenner posted  ____________________ '84 TS50X, '91 TZR125, '89 CBR400RR, '91 VFR400R NC30, '98 R1
"Hey copernicus! Why don't you navigate yourself to the back of the line with your feet and stand there with your shit."
BCF Eastern members map here ---> g.co/maps/2tm8b PM me to be added to it! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aleks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aleks Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 09 Feb 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:18 - 17 Jan 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hmmm, see my problem here is I have no money as it is... And it'd be cheaper to just get bolts.
I'll have to put new top yoke on the Optional Upgrade list, right now I just need to get the Legally Required list ticked off so I can MOT it and ride for the first time in 9 months.
Fuck the recession, robbed my job  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aleks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aleks Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 09 Feb 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|