Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


I bought a new protector

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: I bought a new protector Reply with quote

I had a protector (a) but it was a little bit troublesome wearing it, and it was tight at sleeves. And I didn't wear it so much.
Last month when I went to bike gear shop, I found a protector (b) which has no sleeves and bought it. It's very easy to wear and it wasn't tight at all. I started wearing protector under textile riding jacket again.
I recently read that protecting chest is important because some riders die because broken ribs will be stuck in your lungs. It reminded of the importance of the protector and bought it.
I chose to wear (b) no sleeve type, my jacket has no protector at all. So my elbows and shoulders are not protected. I may hurt my elbows and shoulders but I won't die.
---
So what do you think of your protector and what do you have? Do you always wear it or do you only when riding hard on tracks?
---
(a)
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/protector-01.jpg
(b)
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/protector-02.jpg

p.s. A little bit offtopic but recently I found that wearing protector concentrate stress caused by vibration at lower back and worsen my lumber pain. By wearing both corset and protector I could prevent it.
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a Knox Aegis 8 plate back protector and the optional chest protector.

I tend to wear them all the time, only on a few occasions have I not worn the chest protector.

My textile jacket and trousers came with CE armour fitted (shoulder+elbow, hip+knee).

As there are only ever 2/3 really warm days in England each year I don't find them too inconvenient, and strangely feel a little naked if I ride without them.

If I had a jacket without protection I'd considering buying the all in-one style that you display in your first set of pictures.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chippa
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have alpinestars bionic armour, it dosnt fit under my jacket so i only tend to wear it when its too hot for my leather jacket and just wear a hoody or a motocross top over it keeps me cool and makes me look well built lol Laughing

mine looks a little different to the picture... but just to give you an idea

Stay safe Thumbs Up Mr. Green
____________________
We Live In A Society Where Your Pizza Gets To Your House Before The Police Do.

XBOX Live Gamertag : OMG A COCONUT PS3 Tag : SL1CED BREAD
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodger
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

unholyxt660x wrote:
I have alpinestars bionic armour, it dosnt fit under my jacket so i only tend to wear it when its too hot for my leather jacket and just wear a hoody or a motocross top over it keeps me cool and makes me look well built lol Laughing


I've been thinking of getting one of them for the rare summer days we have. Worth buying one?
____________________
My Bikes: Piaggio NRG| Aprilia RS 125| Suzuki GSX-R 600|Yamaha Fazer Ducati 848
Europe 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mystery
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

unholyxt660x wrote:
I have alpinestars bionic armour, it dosnt fit under my jacket so i only tend to wear it when its too hot for my leather jacket and just wear a hoody or a motocross top over it keeps me cool and makes me look well built lol Laughing

mine looks a little different to the picture... but just to give you an idea

Stay safe Thumbs Up Mr. Green


i was lookin at one of these not the alpine one though something simular for like 40 quid on ebay, how much was the alpine one?
____________________
Carbon knuckles assure you maximum protect against debris and unfortunate accidents or if someone cuts you off, their side mirror.Mopeds are like chubby chicks.. they are really fun to ride until you're friends catch you on one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chippa
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been thinking of getting one of them for the rare summer days we have. Worth buying one?


Yeh thats the only time i ever use mine , lots of velcro to make it a snug fit and its a lot cooler than wearing a jacket but safer than just wearing a t-shirt so id recommend them, theres a few companys that do similar ones to alpinestars like sixsixone so just shop around and try and find a bargain since we dont get many hot days to use them ... bring on global warming
____________________
We Live In A Society Where Your Pizza Gets To Your House Before The Police Do.

XBOX Live Gamertag : OMG A COCONUT PS3 Tag : SL1CED BREAD
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chippa
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i was lookin at one of these not the alpine one though something simular for like 40 quid on ebay, how much was the alpine one?


Theres all sorts of different styles you can get but ive seen the same armour at different prices just by lookin around but the full body ones tend to be around the £120 mark but like i said theres different combinations like sleeveless etc and more than one company selling very similar armour... but Ebay would be worth a look for a bargain Thumbs Up
____________________
We Live In A Society Where Your Pizza Gets To Your House Before The Police Do.

XBOX Live Gamertag : OMG A COCONUT PS3 Tag : SL1CED BREAD
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chippa
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 25 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres one i found on ebay...

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kids-Youth-Alpinestars-Bionic-2-Body-Armour-Motocross-L_W0QQitemZ170276136009QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=286580b41260a0e201943dd4fec064c6#ht_1388wt_939

heres a pretty similar one made by sixsixone ...

https://www.rushcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m48b88s65p691&rs=gb
____________________
We Live In A Society Where Your Pizza Gets To Your House Before The Police Do.

XBOX Live Gamertag : OMG A COCONUT PS3 Tag : SL1CED BREAD
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
maria369 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:23 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do people ride with all this stuff on? Shocked
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:24 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's quite easy most of the time, as the only things that need to move are hands, feet and head, it's not as if you have to perform gymnastics in it, is it?

Like all things, earplugs, helmets, gloves, boots etc... you get used to it and find that actually it doesn't efffect your riding to any great degree. Thumbs Up
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

salty21
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never understood the whole ear plugs thing, especiall when people wear them because the exhaust they put on is uncomfortably loud Laughing
____________________
04 NSR 125(sold) Sad ---- 03 CBR 600rr(sold)Sad Smile ----90 pan euro ST1100 'Shocked' ----02 CG 125 Smile
94 CB400 Super Four ---- 2000 VTR SP1 (sold) ---- 08 ninja p8f(sold, meh) ----05 CBR600rr Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those body armour things are for offroad riding. They provide impact protection but will be fookin' useless when you're sliding down the road at 100mph. For abrasion protection you need leathers.

If you must use a back protector under your leathers. Failing that, use a cheese sandwich.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I like to go off wandering on foot often. I wouldn't fancy walking in a suit of armour Laughing

Never understood why anyone would use earplugs on a road bike. You need to hear the sounds around you to stay safe.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that apparently once you go over 60MPH there's enough wind noise inside the average helmet to start permanently damaging your hearing. I think it's rubbish. If I were doing very long motorway journeys in the future though I think I'd be thankful for some ear plugs.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 years of raucous 2 stroke wailing hasn't sent me mutton yet Laughing
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dibble
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The armour vests are good in winter too as you can wear lots of layers over them (decathlon fleeces in xxxfat-b***ard- ?6-7 each).

The armour stays nicely fixed in place where you want it not squirming around.

Most of my riding is Green laning or Urban where impact protection is more important than abrasion.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
25 years of raucous 2 stroke wailing hasn't sent me mutton yet Laughing


you missed the important bit of alexio's post

Alexio wrote:
I heard that apparently once you go over 60MPH there's enough wind noise inside the average helmet to start permanently damaging your hearing.


Razz
____________________
"intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Never understood why anyone would use earplugs on a road bike. You need to hear the sounds around you to stay safe.


After doing three hours on the motorway sans earplugs my ears would physically hurt, and they wouldn't stop ringing until halfway through the next day. Not pleasant.

Definitely worth the extra faff, I like my hearing.
____________________
H100 Breaking for spares
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

salty21
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

does that mean the same people wear earplugs on a night out?
____________________
04 NSR 125(sold) Sad ---- 03 CBR 600rr(sold)Sad Smile ----90 pan euro ST1100 'Shocked' ----02 CG 125 Smile
94 CB400 Super Four ---- 2000 VTR SP1 (sold) ---- 08 ninja p8f(sold, meh) ----05 CBR600rr Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been on the motorway for around 2 hours, and after stopping for a hot chocolate to warm up, I realised I had problems hearing what people where saying to me. I have never got back from a night out clubbing and struggled to listen to people talking to me. I now wear ear plugs when I do extended motorway riding. Thumbs Up
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

salty21
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ds55 wrote:
I had been on the motorway for around 2 hours, and after stopping for a hot chocolate to warm up, I realised I had problems hearing what people where saying to me. I have never got back from a night out clubbing and struggled to listen to people talking to me. I now wear ear plugs when I do extended motorway riding. Thumbs Up


is that not because you were probably too drunk to notice Laughing
____________________
04 NSR 125(sold) Sad ---- 03 CBR 600rr(sold)Sad Smile ----90 pan euro ST1100 'Shocked' ----02 CG 125 Smile
94 CB400 Super Four ---- 2000 VTR SP1 (sold) ---- 08 ninja p8f(sold, meh) ----05 CBR600rr Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:
does that mean the same people wear earplugs on a night out?


i've been known to, but this type


very useful when gigging.
____________________
"intelligent inattention is preferable to unintelligent tinkering"
www.davejps.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:
is that not because you were probably too drunk to notice Laughing


Good point, I could be Thumbs Up

Saying that, a couple of my friends wear ear plugs when they go to drum and bass nights, the other friends that don't tell me they still can't hear properly in the morning.
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

salty21
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 26 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've done a fair few motorways runs of 3 hours+ and never had a problem, maybe because i have a fairing.... who knows. But then you still see people riding faired bikes with earplugs Confused
____________________
04 NSR 125(sold) Sad ---- 03 CBR 600rr(sold)Sad Smile ----90 pan euro ST1100 'Shocked' ----02 CG 125 Smile
94 CB400 Super Four ---- 2000 VTR SP1 (sold) ---- 08 ninja p8f(sold, meh) ----05 CBR600rr Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.02 Kb