Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


So I was doing 40 on the A13 this morning...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: So I was doing 40 on the A13 this morning... Reply with quote

...after I had noticed a strange clunking sound emanating from under my feet. Carried on carefully until I got to my breakfast pit-stop (Tesco), and discovered this:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/image_005.jpg

Shocked

I'm guessing I was extremely lucky as it could have potentially been nasty.

Left the bike there in a more 'inconspicuous' location and got the shuttle bus into work. So now, I need to get the bike taken home (30 miles away). I'm with AutoAid, which should hopefully cover it, unless they can send someone out with a new master link and get it put in (not that I trust that chain any more)!

The funny thing is that the chain is an IRIS X-Ring jobbie and it wasn't cheap either (£60). But I have heard bad things about those chains... going for DID next time. Meh.
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a rivet link next time... Wink
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Use a rivet link next time... Wink


Actually... got one at home as the chain came with both types, just need the tool and I can sort it. The chain only has 8k miles on it and is nowhere near the adjustment limit.
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted neil, is there no where near to you that will sort the rivet out for you?, ive never been a fan of split links even on my pedal bikes i used a chain tool.

Mark
____________________
07 Yamaha YBR125, 07 Honda CG125 , 15 CBR300R (Chocolate Crank, Deaded), 16 CB500FA, 19 Honda Forza 300, 70 Suzuki SV650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that, the old chain had a soft link and lasted over 15k miles. Easier to get the bike home and sort it there, gonna get recovered after work, or you never know, maybe the recovery folks can actually fix it.
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of soft links either, but that shouldn't have happened like that. I would keep the link and start making noises to your supplier or / and iris.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tim..
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam that was close, well spotted.

Were there any other tight spots on the chain?
____________________
Project builds: My VFR400 nc30 build thread + Honda Britain Rep VFR + What? Another VFR +Project 'cos I want one' + V8 coffee table
www.marshallracing.co.uk
OCD - Helping to bring the standard of my bikes up and make me slowly go mad since 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not a fan of x-ring, probably makes no difference in this case, but damn lucky you spotted that!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually heard it go. For the last few weeks there's been this on and off knocking around the front sprocket that would get faster as I went faster. I investigated it a few times and both sprockets aren't worn at all and are perfectly secure with everything in place. After slacking off the chain a bit it was fine. So I'm guessing that link gradually distorted on one side until it finally snapped. The rest of the chain was fine. I clean it once a week with paraffin and lube with 10w40 now through an automatic oiler thingy (Loobman, although I previously used the Wurth dry stuff). Also, the point at where it snapped doesn't look like a part of the link that would be worn down by normal use, so I'm looking at weak metal perhaps? I fitted the chain last April so it isn't old either.
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chip
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid question here but what would actualy happen if the chanin snapped? other than a nice gash on the back of your leg. anything damaging??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often snaps the chainguard, can smash the engine casing or do bad things to the output shaft.

Supposed to be able to do a bit more than make a gash in your leg aswell, but I've never seen any proof.
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it will just fly off, leaving everything unscathed.

Sometimes it will coil around the front sprocket and mangle the engine.

Sometimes it will coil around the back sprocket and lock the rear wheel.

Sometimes it will lash out and cause nasty injuries to the rider.

I guess I was very lucky as I rode the bike around like that on a major dual carriageway at 40mph... Praying
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chip wrote:
stupid question here but what would actualy happen if the chanin snapped? other than a nice gash on the back of your leg. anything damaging??


Mine knacked the chain guard/hugger and also the clutch pushrod.

Could potentially lock the back wheel, this would be less than good if you were giving it some on a motorway.

There's also the tales of sliced feet, not seen any pics though.
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chip
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

got away prety lucky there then lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE (for those who care!): Got recovered and taken home, gonna claim it back off AutoAid. The guy also fitted my 'real' link that I managed to dig out of the garage, which saves me waiting for the tool and having to take the train to work tomorrow.

He also mentioned that those split links are weak because of the way that they are pre-riveted on one side (the side that failed in this case) which was interesting. Well, I know not to be lazy next time and do it properly. I went over the whole chain with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find anything else wrong. Result! Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tim..
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
saves me waiting for the tool and having to take the train to work tomorrow.


Ah hell yeah def agree with that
public transport Sick

Glad you got it all sorted bud
____________________
Project builds: My VFR400 nc30 build thread + Honda Britain Rep VFR + What? Another VFR +Project 'cos I want one' + V8 coffee table
www.marshallracing.co.uk
OCD - Helping to bring the standard of my bikes up and make me slowly go mad since 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
Well, I know not to be lazy next time and do it properly.


There's nothing wrong with split links, especially on a 125, it definitely shouldn't have snapped like that. I run split links on the 500's and have never had one fail.
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:
neil. wrote:
Well, I know not to be lazy next time and do it properly.


There's nothing wrong with split links, especially on a 125, it definitely shouldn't have snapped like that. I run split links on the 500's and have never had one fail.

Ive snapped two split links like that , once on the ts50 down near cardiff, and snapped the one on the YBR last night along one side.
Jamie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie s wrote:
Ive snapped two split links like that , once on the ts50 down near cardiff, and snapped the one on the YBR last night along one side.
Jamie.


We're jinxed I tells ya! JINXED! Hm they must be made of cheese if they snap on a 50. As soon as I can afford it, that POS chain is getting replaced with a DID. Neutral
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run a split link on my xr600r and my zx6r never had a problem
____________________
always looking to buy bikes crashed ,unfinished projects,none runners pm me
currently riding kawasaki z1000 only bike ive ever loved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen Mondo Enduro? They had lots of chain breakages on their RTW escapades. No talk of ripped legs or locked wheels etc
I wonder just how often a chain would/could foul up?
Anybody else had it happen to them here?

neil. well spotted that man, and glad all's well. Thumbs Up


Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project


Last edited by Howling TerrorOutOfOffice on 23:32 - 09 Feb 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 09 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chain on my TZR125 jammed my back wheel when I was flat out on a dual carriageway, I just left two skidmarks, one considerably longer than the other.

Didn't fall off though and luckily there was no-one behind me at the time.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always maintained that split links are dangerous. People try to tell me it's because I haven't fitted them properly.

I've found them broken in exactly the same way as above but minus the keeper plate (and lying on the road half a mile back following an abrupt loss of power). What's interesting is the order it happened. I always thought the keeper plate had somehow pinged off leading to excessive force on the back plate which eventually cracks and splits.

Could be it happens the other way round which would be harder to detect on a casual inspection, I usually just looked to see the clip was still in place when I checked my chain. Could very easily have missed a cracked back plate.

Anyway. Solution is the same as I came up with a number of years ago. Don't use split links.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mord
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Lucky..

I'm going to check mine now Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 snap in the same way as above, both times the chain just got launched out the back with no damage.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.26 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.53 Kb