Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Not going to the Gym

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Not going to the Gym Reply with quote

You know, I just can't be fucking bothered anymore. I've been going since October. I went to a spinning class and it did me up for 5 days and since then I haven't been back. That was 2 weeks ago and now I just sit down and think... maybe tomorrow.
____________________
BCF's 6th favourite poster 2009-2010

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, that's why I like creatine. You take it an hour before you intend to go... then the excuses come out, but you get irked by the waste.

Ditto with big meaty and fatty meals deliberately for a savage workout, if you have that, you feel pretty obliged.

Why not just stick to weights for a bit. Generally it's the cardio that makes people sad.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
No More Names ...... This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just canceled my mebership to the gym, I hadn't been in over 6 months.
30 quid really was a waste of money to fanny about with the cycling machines, leer and women on the rowing thingies then go pee in the pool. Twas soul destroying.

Extra deep fried pizza money Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Current; 10' Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.
Previous; 05 Triumph Daytona 600, 08' Ducati 1098s.
"Needs a check-up, fae the neck up!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm allergic to cardio, and find I'm fine doing weights once I get to the gym. It's getting off my arse and not eating cake that's the hard bit.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-accident I used the gym frequently, went to a couple of classes and really enjoyed it. Post accident I find it really hard and dull, and if I couldn't go immediately after work, and it wasn't enroute, I would struggle to go.

I basically need a personal trainer, someone who will come in, and kick me up the bum and make me go. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
No More Names ...... This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a regular at the gym, until a couple of years ago.
No matter how hard i trained, it was always a chore Crying or Very sad , but worth it.. cos it stopped me having a heart-attack Laughing

now i am training to do the "Three Peaks" challenge.
this is to climb Ben Nevis, Scarfell Pike, and Mount Snowdon,,, all in 24 hours.
the training is mostly endurance work and a bit time consuming.

having a goal to aim towards makes training a lot easier to do.
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
No More Names ...... This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Deckx
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you use music ?? if i don't have Eminem or Metallica going on the headphones i can't do shit.. I usually eat something about a hour before to get some energy..

I do a lot of body weight stuff, ie chin-ups, pull-ups, dips, press-up which I find works better for me more than pumping heavy weights.... you actually get a good buzz from a workout..

As said, cycling and running is boring as fuck.. just torturing yourself really Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: Not going to the Gym Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:
I went to a spinning class and it did me up for 5 days and since then I haven't been back. That was 2 weeks ago and now I just sit down and think... maybe tomorrow.

I only manage to get to the gym with any regularity because it's right by my work, so no excuses as it's not sitting down at home then getting motivated and makes for something different to do in lunchtimes.

As for the spinning class - I find the first time I do a 'different' activity to some intensity as you do in such classes it tends to leave me pretty drained.
Ie, I've been regularly doing rowing and spinning classes - there's a woman who's in her mid 50s I think who's usually at the rowing class and usually along at the spin class. She's generally pretty active and when we did some measured thing rowing she came out the same 'gold medal' score as me rowing, but that was weighted for the fact she was a woman almost twice my age - the reality is that I end up rowing/cycling a lot further/harder than her in the same time.
Anyway, went to a 'Body Pump' class after the spin was cancelled and she was there too - I found I was using about the same weights as her (I'm sure I can pump a lot more iron than her in normal weights) yet I was pretty much collapsing by the end of the class while she was fine.
For the next three to four days I could hardly sit down (not helped that I was doing work under the van that weekend), however the second time I went wasn't so bad and while I was still only using the same weights as my older friend and pushing my limits of endurance more, I was able to walk out unassisted and was fine the next day Smile.

Not much help really, but a nice story Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try proper spinning?

Go pull an old bicycle frame out of the local river and make it into a cheap and nasty fixie. Bung some fairly low gears on it and go for a ride around.

Bet you could build one for the price of a couple of months gym membership and you have a bicycle at the end of it.

Want to go faster? Pedal faster. Want to go up a hill? Pedal harder.

Downhills are hard work on a fixie, uphills are easier than they have any right to be but you crave flat bits of road. Gives you a proper workout and a sense of satisfaction, like you did the route "properly" without any underhand trickery such as changing down a gear to make the hill easier.

I actually enjoy riding my single speed bicycle, perhaps due to its simplicity and sense of minimum wasted effort (it feels like all the energy you put into pedalling is translated into forwards motion). I never used to like cycling when i was a kid.

Hell at least you'd be going somewhere. Riding a bike that has a) No gears and b) Looks like a piece of crap precludes you from looking like either a cyclist or a fashion victim respectively.

I mean, do I look like a fucking cyclist to you?
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/DSCN0395.jpg
Yes, it has a back brake. Is a single speed, not a fixie.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hazylogic
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I mean, do I look like a fucking cyclist to you?
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/DSCN0395.jpg
Yes, it has a back brake. Is a single speed, not a fixie.


more like a cheery-raper
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny wrote:
Meh, that's why I like creatine. You take it an hour before you intend to go... then the excuses come out, but you get irked by the waste.

Ditto with big meaty and fatty meals deliberately for a savage workout, if you have that, you feel pretty obliged.

Why not just stick to weights for a bit. Generally it's the cardio that makes people sad.


Yeah, do something like that...or pay monthly. Then if you don't go you wasted your money - so you will go Very Happy
____________________
2012 KTM EXC 250

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do try and ride on 'real' push bikes too - however rarely find myself pushing to anywhere near the intensity I do in a class except when involved in some kind of a race (have done cross country and cyclocross, as well as just trying to get to the top/bottom of a hill quicker than a mate of course:).)

I'm afraid that down-south, 'beardies' are often associated with push bikes and perhaps slightly separately, in the right circles single speeds including old tatty looking ones are actually considered very fashionable Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Throttle
Crazy Courier



Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going since October and I still go 90% of the time. Some days I sack it off but it's rare.

I've mainly been doing cardio and it is now officially boring as shit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckx wrote:
do you use music ?? if i don't have Eminem or Metallica going on the headphones i can't do shit.. I usually eat something about a hour before to get some energy..


My friend and I have different overall tastes in music, and experimented with what seemed to "work" best when lifting heavy weights. We discovered that for both of us; rap music didn't work, Audioslave & Rage did work, and the best motivational music was: The Rocky Soundtrack Laughing (I don't even like the Rocky fims, but the associative music did motivate me in the gym).
____________________
Current Bikes: Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2020)
Former Bikes: Honda MSX125 (2014), BMW Funduro (1996), Honda VT500 (1983), Yamaha FZR250 (1989), Suzuki GZ125 Marauder(2005),:Triumph TT600 (2002) (stolen)
From then on, I and the bicycle feelings deeper.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, for the last year straight, every gym session... listened to Ibiza Euphoria Cd 2 (it's a stuck together 90 minute track).

I want something else. But nothing works.

Help Crying or Very sad
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried The Prodigy, Bonny...and what about Extreme Euphoria??

I particularly liked the Body Pump classes (no rudies please boys Laughing ), as it was weights, resistance and toning all rolled into one. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 15 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the days that i cant be arsed going to the gym i have a cheap bench in the spare room and 100kg worth of weights, dead easy to do an hour or two of heavy weights when you can just whack the stereo on and not bother about queueing for machines and stuff.

For cardio ive started playing football a few times a week and now and then running with a mate whos traing for the london marathon, we have a bit of natter and a bitch like a couple of old women whilst burning the cals.

Im still a podgy skinny fat knacker though Crying or Very sad
____________________
Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the idea of going to the gym but not for paying for it every month. I have a set of weights at home that I try and do a routine with every other night and I go mountain biking as much as possible which I find keeps me in pretty good shape.

I struggle the most when I've had a cold or pulled some muscle or something, I just find it really hard to get back into the routine of lifting weights but once I finally start again I'm straight back into it.

I think music whilst working out is a personal thing, I find most punk rock does it for me but then that's all I listen to anyway Laughing
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:32 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to the gym, although it doesn't show. I'm fighting a holding action to be honest, I'm not getting any thinner or fatter.

Two things, the gym is boring so you (or atleast I) find myself making endless excuses to not go, these must be recognised for what they are: excuses!

Secondly, don't think about how you feel before going in. I don't know about you, but after a good healthy sweat then a hot shower (and after having enjoyed the view) I feel much better. I can go in thinking I'll do the thin end of fuck all because I feel like shit, but end up running for ages, weeching for a while and all sorts of other stuff.

Music wise? I've left early because my mp3 player has ran out of juice (never by a usb chargeable heehaw.) Prodigy, Faithless, Sash Greatest hits is good at the moment, bit of Muse, propellorheads, Glee soundtrack (erm...) and some classical (Erik Satie, Barber etc) or Air/Zero7 for cooling down....

I have to say, Erik Satie, Gymnopediae is a fascinating soundtrack for watching a pair of pert young buttocks trying to overtake one and other on the stepper in front... Although this is somewhat off-set by the old man in the changing rooms with no sense of personal space who bends down to dry his toes altogether far to close and with his bran star pointing entirely in the wrong direction. I think the music from Psycho would be more apt...

I like/hate the gym.

Wink
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:16 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010 January 1st i decided. Im doing it Rocky style, and ill never go back.
Basically theres two gyms in my town, £40 or so a month. Either way its shocking. You're basically paying for everyone else remember. So you use 4-5 machines and a treadmill, the rest is used by everyone else and you're paying. Bollox to that.

Getting yourself lean, trim and fit as far as i can tell now is 70% diet and 30% workout.
Ive cut out completely, fizzy drinks, treats (like choc, crisps ice cream etc) no fatty foods. Im eating fish, chicken, occasional steaks, mixed nuts instead of crisps...basically all the main food groups with minimal fat and salt content. I do have treats, my body has stopped craving such foods and im enjoying it now.

Get out running or cycling with a mix of swimming and if you can, punch bag. Best cardio around. Ive got a skipping rope (im usless so far with that) weights and pull-up bar. No gym fee and i have noticed results.

Tunes....here's my playlist, garanteed to make you work hard.

Notorious B.I.G & P-diddy - Victory (2004)
Outkast - B.O.B
Onyx - Slam
Rob base & DJ EZ Rock - it takes two
A tribe called Quest - Scenario
M.O.P feat: funkmaster flex - Ante up
Pharoahe Monch - Simon says
Vince dicola - War (rocky track)
Rocky IV - training montage (nuff said)
Rocky - Burning heart (sing along!)
Rocky - Eye of the tiger (why not)
Rocky IV - No easy way out

Mix in some Prodigy (Breathe, poisen, scienide, mindfields, their law etc)
Also get most things by WU Tang. Thumbs Up
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

Getting yourself lean, trim and fit as far as i can tell now is 70% diet and 30% workout.

For me, lean/trim is all about diet, while 'fit' is about workout.

I never seem to get the motivation to 'do' exercise normally, so paying a really silly amount to a gym every month partly helps my motivation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that makes any sort of cardio work bearable is a high volume of slipknot, black dahlia murder, pantera and August burns red.

Without these ingredients I'm bored shitless by half a mile and will just think "fuck it, protein time".

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.71 Sec - Server Load: 1.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 140.5 Kb