Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What to do with the CBR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: What to do with the CBR Reply with quote

Right, well as some of you know, I've got a battered CBR 600 FT

Dynojetted, blue flame exhausts, braided lines, K & N Filter, Downgeared. Basically about as Hooligan as you can make one without whacking a turbo on it.

Unfortunately, it's now running like crap, and carbs getting whipped off, cleaned and inspected (by two different people) haven't made any discernible difference.

Now it looks like I may be leaving the country for a year, maybe longer, and I might as well sever the ties to the UK.

It also, looks like crap. Front subframe is bent so you can't have the LHS wingmirror attached, fairing mangled in plenty of places, no real service history except a receipt for carb balancing and valve clearances.

Even mint, they barely go for a grand. Mine, in it's current state is going to go for decidedly less. But how much less. Will getting it running properly actually make a difference when it looks this much of a dog?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures for a better idea Bonny ?...

From the sounds of it though break it, or we talking a time limit here ?...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...


Last edited by Handsome on 15:20 - 26 Feb 2010; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried swapping the plugs, leads, air filter and check there's no air leaks around the carbs or vacuum ports, clean fuel filter, good battery? I would say a bike that is running but in shabby condition is worth a good bit more than one that can't be shown to run well, although it sounds like a minor problem it'll put a lot of people off who just want a scrappy bike that runs well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: What to do with the CBR Reply with quote

Bonny wrote:
Right, well as some of you know, I've got a battered CBR 600 FT

Dynojetted, blue flame exhausts, braided lines, K & N Filter, Downgeared. Basically about as Hooligan as you can make one without whacking a turbo on it.

Unfortunately, it's now running like crap, and carbs getting whipped off, cleaned and inspected (by two different people) haven't made any discernible difference.

Now it looks like I may be leaving the country for a year, maybe longer, and I might as well sever the ties to the UK.

It also, looks like crap. Front subframe is bent so you can't have the LHS wingmirror attached, fairing mangled in plenty of places, no real service history except a receipt for carb balancing and valve clearances.

Even mint, they barely go for a grand. Mine, in it's current state is going to go for decidedly less. But how much less. Will getting it running properly actually make a difference when it looks this much of a dog?


Lend it to Robby again.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on breaking it

What frame type was the FT? I have an FN track bike that has the frame and rear subframe all-in-one made out of steel and may be interested in a few spares if you do break it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: What to do with the CBR Reply with quote

Cuban Pete wrote:

Lend it to Robby again.


He was too scared to ride it, therefore couldn't diagnose it.

Pus Laughing

Only problem with breaking it is time and effort. Assuming it looks like shite but runs well, what do you guys reckon I could ask for it? 600 tops? Could cost 200 to get running properly, either by getting a mek to look at it (no garantee), or just keep swapping electrical parts until it's better.

So, could I get 400 from just the parts Thinking Seems like a hell of a waste of a bike that is still pretty much going, just a bit rough. Especially as I paid 2k for it 5 years ago.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship it to Seoul? , you can get it over there for £320 via my web of sticky contacts, insurance is £12 a month petrol is 47p a litre.

Driving in Seoul is NOT for the faint hearted though,

You will however need to swap your UK licence via way of surrender to swap it for a Korean driving licence. (you don't get it back).

As a foreign bike you will have to use a big yellow sticker on it, and sign various agreements to say you will take it out the country. Sports bikes are rare birds in Korea and the MOT is easy/non existent. You can even ship it to Japan for a weekend on a insurance bond (you stick down a wad of cash at Hakkata and you get 80% of it back when you leave with bike).

South Korea IS a bikers paradise, around the Inchi Sokcho region, the road surface is perfect, Koreans don't do speed or traffic light cameras (fatalties however are VERY HIGH). Cops will see you ride past them at over a hundred and ignore you. Why do you think I got stuck there for nearly a month and a half?

When I leave in 3 months time I'm shipping the CBR out to Hong Kong.

The bad bit is you are not allowed on the motorways, but that didn't stop me from going on the motorways though.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: What to do with the CBR Reply with quote

If you strip it it'll take you half a day with no distractions but then you've got to advertise and run about delivering or sorting out viewing and deliveries...

Throw 200 quid at it ( problem is it may be more, but could be less ) and get it running and sell it as is, if it's worth 400 in bits, spending 200 hundred to make 200 effectively...

It's a 50/50 but due to your time and effort constraints only you can work that one out Bon...

I know of two that are standard but with a few cracks in the fairings ( to look at, haven't test rode or had a proper poke ) that are for sale at a grand a piece at a dealers, around 95/96 regs, they were taken in part ex...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:


You will however need to swap your UK licence via way of surrender to swap it for a Korean driving licence. (you don't get it back).


Explain more sir.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny wrote:
Explain more sir.


On entry into Korea you will have to be given an Alien Identity card, this is one of those ID cards we don't want.

You get this get some photos taken, then get together 15000KRW, you then go to the department of Motor vehicles in Mapo-Gu. Incheon or Sincheon. You are then subject to 6 intrusive medical exams one of which is eye sight (failure is NOT an option).

You then fill in a few forms and attach both parts of your UK driving licence to the form. The Korean government are supposed to check with the DVLA that it is a valid document you pay for this.

You go home and a week later if you passed the tests and you check out fine from the DVLA request you get an ID card like Korean drivers licence, which is valid for 7 years (after which you must do a proper retest)

It is supposed to be a swap, but the DVLA of Korea tends to lose things and all of the expats I met in Seiyobingo (its a church) told me their original driving licences had been destroyed.

However there is no need for a bike in Seoul or Korea for that matter. Remember you are jonny foreigner even if an accident is the fault of others its going to be your fault.


Stay 3-4 days with Park in his hostel and he'll do everything for you.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the type of bike im after.

PM me with pics and price Thumbs Up Mr. Green
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhmm, could do with another Steelie. Thinking Laughing

A packet of Starbursts for it?
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
hhmm, could do with another Steelie. Thinking Laughing

A packet of Starbursts for it?
Fruit pastels and a pouch of M&M's. Thumbs Up
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you the £113.69 I have in my change jar
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugartits wrote:
I'll give you the £113.69 I have in my change jar


raise you ....£200 Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What serious offers would I be getting?

Only pictures I've got are, ahem, elevated Wink
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only said £200 cos i know fo sho i have that in cash right now lol...
if you can wait till wednesday...£300 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

£300.01 Thumbs Up
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:47 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove wrote:
£300.01 Thumbs Up

£300.02...i can keep going up till like 450 lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put some pictures up in the week. In no massive rush to get shot of it just yet, but once I have a deadline to go to South Korea I'd pretty much want shot of it.

I need ~£500 for my first month over there Thinking I do have quite a few bits and bobs to go with it, so even running funny I should be able to get that.

Namely a spare rear wheel and disc, spare fuel pump relay, the left wingmirror that's missing. Probably more if I did about.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 28 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change your mind and do break it, can I have first dibs on both brake levers, clutch lever and footpegs?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 120.49 Kb