Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Need a new bike, but dont like anything...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Biker101
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Need a new bike, but dont like anything... Reply with quote

I've been here long enough to know people hate 'what bike' threads but here gos.

I've been thinking over the last few months about my bike and have decided it has to go.

I love it, I love the way it handles, I love the power, I love the looks it gets, I love the way it looks, I love the quality of it.

However I just cant ride it, anymore than 2 hours and I start feeling uncomfortable, anymore than 4 hours and I start aching and am in pain when I get home.

This is a problem when its 30-40 minutes of town driving to get to some decent riding roads from my house and is the reason I've only been out for 1 decent ride since August.

So I think I need to change, but I like nothing else out there so just wanted some suggestions.

I want something that rides like my current bike but is comfier basically, less than 5 years old too and something that I can buy for what mine is worth.

Oh, my current bike is a low mileage 05 reg CBR600rr-5, not a clue what its worth, maybe around £4k come the sun (if it ever happens)

Mike
____________________
Past: 06 Runner SP50 >>> 01 Varadero XL125 >>> 08 Kwak ER-6f >>> 05 CBR600rr
Present: 99 FZS600 Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BanditJeff
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always though the CBR was pretty comfortable... well in sports bike terms comfort anyway.
If you want more comfort still then you're gonna have to go with something with a more upright riding position, but these bikes wont handle like a sports bike.
You cant have comfort and sports bike handling.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600F is comfortable, the RR is a completely different bike though, so I suppose you could get a CBR600F as it was made in parallel with the RR for a couple of years, think they stopped in 2005?

I found my CBR600RR fairly uncomfortable, felt like I was perched ontop of it rather than sat in it if that makes sense, was my lower back that'd start to ache eventually, it does on any bike after about 200 miles but on the CBR it'd happen at 100 or so.

I'd suggest that the R6 is a lot less extreme, upto 2006 not the new model, also the GSXRs are less severe riding positions, Kawasaki are possibly worse unless you go for older J models which are pretty laid back really. Otherwise you'll be looking at sports tourers or sit up style bikes rather than full on sports bikes, or go for older sports bikes as they generally have less extreme positions, except the ZX7R.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600f, GSX600F and the Thunderace are all sporty looking 600's in a slightly more forgiving form. To be honest there are tons, they are just the ones that came to mind.

c_dug
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nyarlathotep
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a bike just like yours a couple of weeks ago. I got back on my VFR Vtec afterwards and thought "ahhhh.. that's nicer". Similar power but less revvy. MUCH more comfortable and equally well built. Obviously not as sharp as a little sports 600, but I prefer it nonetheless.
So... consider a VFR!
Otherwise, how about a hooligan machine such as a Super Duke?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaPo
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple R? Probably a bit above your price range though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: Need a new bike, but dont like anything... Reply with quote

Where exactly are you getting pain?

You may well be able to adjust the riding position of your current bike - foot pegs and bars are fairly easy - could easily be enough to solve your problems and keep the bike you like.

One of the reasons I went for my 06 GSXR was that it was generally considered to have the most 'comfortable' position of superbikes around that time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 26 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just replace/raise the bars somehow?
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker101
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far, any more info on raising the bars, how to do it and what I need?

Might be an ideal solution that.

Nothing anyone has mentioned has excited me though, the triumph is nice but a bit pricey and I do like the Suzuki GSXR which looks physically larger than mine but it just doesn't seem very solid when I've looked at them.
____________________
Past: 06 Runner SP50 >>> 01 Varadero XL125 >>> 08 Kwak ER-6f >>> 05 CBR600rr
Present: 99 FZS600 Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the CBR, but can you raise the clip-ons up the fork legs? Can you replace the clip-ons for less drop?

It might need a new top yoke and may not fit under the fairing, but you could fit a flat or riser bar.
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.helibars.com/products-by-bike/honda
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.streetfighterstore.com/search
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaPo
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:48 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.convertibars.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ulster exile
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try a cheaper solution before forking out ('scuse the pun) on a more permanent solution like the helibars.

For example (don't know the diameter of your forks but there are other sizes available) click me

We bought a CB-1 with clip ons as a hack in Nov which left me in pain (I've got carpal tunnel syndrome) but hubby won't let me fit these as he wants the bike standard. I've bought a 2nd Hornet in revenge to use as my personal hack though - that shut him up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:00 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

z1000 maybe? plenty to be had in the £4000 mark
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_shlCc2J4nVI/Sfdy6wBYstI/AAAAAAAAABs/a6Q71A9wHFs/s1600/Z1000%2BLAWSON%2B2.jpg
____________________
always looking to buy bikes crashed ,unfinished projects,none runners pm me
currently riding kawasaki z1000 only bike ive ever loved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ttr
Crazy Courier



Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad4it028 wrote:


was going to be my suggestion.

That's had some cool mods!
____________________
GS125-> NT400->VFR400->CRM250->Z750 + GS125->NTV650 rat + VMX1200->GSF600 + GPz550
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the bars - as above, or could consider a 'street fighter' style bar conversion.
If you can find a cheap top yolk, you can do it pretty cheaply all-in and probably sell the 'kit' on for more than you paid if you don't like it.
Seen a few sports bikes with wide/high bars that have still kept their fairings and got it working ok.

Or, similarly, find some secondhand heli bars or similar and you can most probably sell them on for what you pay.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 27 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: Need a new bike, but dont like anything... Reply with quote

Biker101 wrote:
I've been here long enough to know people hate 'what bike' threads but here gos.

I've been thinking over the last few months about my bike and have decided it has to go.

I love it, I love the way it handles, I love the power, I love the looks it gets, I love the way it looks, I love the quality of it.

However I just cant ride it, anymore than 2 hours and I start feeling uncomfortable, anymore than 4 hours and I start aching and am in pain when I get home.

This is a problem when its 30-40 minutes of town driving to get to some decent riding roads from my house and is the reason I've only been out for 1 decent ride since August.

So I think I need to change, but I like nothing else out there so just wanted some suggestions.

I want something that rides like my current bike but is comfier basically, less than 5 years old too and something that I can buy for what mine is worth.

Oh, my current bike is a low mileage 05 reg CBR600rr-5, not a clue what its worth, maybe around £4k come the sun (if it ever happens)

Mike


Honda CG125. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Towton 1461
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:20 - 28 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad4it028 wrote:


That's very nice, Mad. Thumbs Up Is it yours?
____________________
This post is sponsored by QUILLIES LOZENGES. Suck QUILLIES for fast throat relief!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lonner
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 28 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker101 wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far, any more info on raising the bars, how to do it and what I need?

Might be an ideal solution that.

Nothing anyone has mentioned has excited me though, the triumph is nice but a bit pricey and I do like the Suzuki GSXR which looks physically larger than mine but it just doesn't seem very solid when I've looked at them.


don't know how old you are m8 but in my experience once i got past 30 there was no such thing as a comfy sport bike as they all hurt you after an hour or less when you get past 40.
and to be honest the latest stuff is very track focussed so your gonna struggle.

helibars will improve things a fair bit and although there £200 touch its a lot cheaper option than selling your bike and buying another Thumbs Up

they come up on ebay from time to time but they get lots of bids so not much cheaper as a rule
https://www.bykebitz.co.uk/acatalog/ABOUT_HELI.html

i tried covertibars on my blackbird which totally changed the riding position but i didn't like the feel of the flex in the wide bars .
and again £200 touch for the pleasure.

hth Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 28 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair though,

I don't think I've ever ridden a bike for four hours and not been in pain afterwards...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:12 - 28 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towton '61 wrote:
mad4it028 wrote:


That's very nice, Mad. Thumbs Up Is it yours?


i wish no i did a google image search n found it, it is very nice tho
____________________
always looking to buy bikes crashed ,unfinished projects,none runners pm me
currently riding kawasaki z1000 only bike ive ever loved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 28 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuban Pete wrote:
I don't think I've ever ridden a bike for four hours and not been in pain afterwards...


Really?

Given the choice, I'd always take a more comfortable, grunty bike over a track-biased screamer.

That Z1000 is great.
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 28 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to change your riding position before you change the bike. I always had trouble getting comfy on my sports bike, until I started gripping the tank with my knees to take the weight off my wrists and it's made all the difference. Problem is it's not a natural thing to do so I have to make a conscious effort to squeeze my knees together.
As soon as the road gets twisty and the pace starts picking up a bit I shift my weight back onto my wrists anyway cos it's easier to pull the bike around that way, so it's never going to be comfortable on a long hoon. Best you can hope for is to rest on the straight bits!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 28 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:
I always had trouble getting comfy on my sports bike, until I started gripping the tank with my knees to take the weight off my wrists and it's made all the difference. Problem is it's not a natural thing to do


As a vehicle for producing fast lap-times, modern sports bikes are excellent. As a vehicle for riding on the road, not really that fit-for-purpose.


On a bicycle riders routinely raise/lower seats and handlebars so why do so many people not modify a motorbike to suit their body?
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.34 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.76 Kb