 |
|
 |

|
|
| Author |
Message |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:12 - 10 Mar 2010 Post subject: Considering changing from an IL4 to a single... |
 |
|
Hi all - this is only theoretical at the moment, so I'm just getting soundings on what people think of the newer bike.
I have an old Bandit 6 at the moment, and it's great fun: I'm just starting to get the point of being able to push myself to the point where the bike starts to arguing.
I'm still having a laugh with it, as I've said, but I'm getting a bit worried: the area where I live has a lot of speed cameras (East London: Newham, specifically), and I'm finding that I have to spend more and more time watching the speedo to make sure that I keep my license.
The main thing that does it for me with bikes is the sensation of accelerating (the noise comes a close second ), and the ability to throw myself through corners as a screaming 320kg lump of steel, aluminium and meat. Since much of my riding is within London and the suburbs (I hate motorway riding), I'm wondering whether a single would be more in line with my needs.
I've noticed the Yamaha MT-03, and I think it looks awesome. Question is, is it going to be a dissapointment? I know that it's significantly down on overall power, but is the perceived grunt of the bike going to make up for it?
I'm open to suggestions on alternative bikes, since I'm window shopping at the moment, but this is with a view to buying a bike within the next 12 months.
Supermotos are fun, so a KTM (if it's rideable n the city) would be of interest. Equally, I was sorely tempted by the Buell lightning* (the 900, not the 12), but since I'm worried about reliability, having a decent parts network is of importance to me.
*Yes, I know it's a V-twin, but it's not as rev-hungry as an IL4, so I can make use of the power of the engine more sensibly (and a little less obviously, given that a v-twin doesn't have that characteristic wail)
Has anyone got an MT-03 who is willing to comment? Has anyone else here gone from an IL-4 to a single/twin for the same reason?
Cheers in advance for the responses guys. for those who are deserving of it...  ____________________ '10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Smooth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Smooth Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:32 - 10 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Theres only one way to know, and thats to have a go on one. My last IL4 (XJ pre diversion) was top heavy at low speeds, had a heavy clutch, and lumpy low down power delivery that made it hard work in town. But get it on an A road and i'd happily ride 100 miles on it.
My last single was an SRX600, tiny bike, very light, would wizz round town all day long. I did a 100 mile trip on it once and had it overheating due to me thrashing it to stay at 80-85 most of the way. Being kick start only could make it a real bitch to start, and being a single it could be hard to keep running nicely, as instead of running on 3, it just stopped
I'd love another single for round town riding, but for the open road unless modern singles have improved massively, i'd want a big twin.
Maybe try out an SV650? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T0MMY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T0MMY World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MonkeyKnuckle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MonkeyKnuckle World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jan 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DrDonnyBrago |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DrDonnyBrago World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:57 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://yamyambiker.com/bikes/yamaha/
Read the first few sections in his blog after he passed his test too, was his first bike and he got sick of it being so weak! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:02 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Fair enough. I was wondering whether having about half the HP would bother me or not.
What about narrow twins? I've thought abut the SV, but everyone bangs on about them being 'I've just passed my test' bikes.
The ER-6 is tempting, but the shim-based valve adjustment is a massive put off for me.
Can anyone think of a decent*, middleweight twin that doesn't scream sportsbike - a VTR would be unfathomable levels of overkill for my needs.
*something that doesn't have Italian electrics. I'm really not big on Ducatis, apart from the hypermotard. Don't think I'd ever own one, though. ____________________ '10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blau Zedong |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Blau Zedong Banned

Joined: 26 Jun 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:28 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I too, like the looks of the MT-03, but have been told, by people I trust - that I really wouldn't like it. Had I not gone through the V-twin route, it might not really be an issue, but it lacks grunt, by all accounts. And I am not prepared to lose that umph for good looks.
There are plenty other bikes out there, that have both the umph and good looks, it's just finding one to your particular taste.
I have narrowed down my 'next' bike (sort of) to one of three bikes. Have yet to find them and test ride them, to check they ride as well as I'd like them too. I suggest you do this too. Go and ride whatever floats your boat, it's only truly the only way you'll know. ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:28 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I went from a IL2 850 to a 650 single.
Had a KTM LC4 and have a F650 GS.
The KTM was as uncomfortable as it was insane and got stolen after a fortnight of ownership. I know G would probably disagree but I think the seat on my one (an 04 model and I could never figure out is it was an Enduro or an SMC) was like sitting on a fence post attached to an upturned pneumatic drill.
My BMW is fine, not as wild as the KTM but just as much fun with arguably similar grunt. What puts it past the post is that it's comfy. Over all, I prefer it.
The in the MT03 is the same engine that sits in a XT660 I was told (by some chap in a yamaha dealership.) I was in looking at the XT and he said the MT03 had the same engine so I'd like that too. Perhaps if all I was interested in was the engine then maybe so, but I think the MT03 is one seriously ugly bike so I don't think so.
Thats about all I can say about it. My current bike is a good crossover, fine for long distances (I commute 60 miles a day round a city bypass and it hasn't missed a beat yet.) But it's still great fun around town (although it needs a smaller diameter front wheel.)
Ask around about the XT660, maybe get more of an idea about grunt or lack there-of.
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tome |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tome Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 28 May 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:52 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think pa_broon74 is right about the engine, if I was going for that classic Yamaha 660 single I'd go for the XT660X/R (SM/Enduro) rather than the MT03, I also think it's ugly lol!
Personally I would have my IL4 and a single so would probably go for a Husky 510 =P As my only bike, I find the KTM 640 and Husky 610 a lot of fun, the new Husky 630 is coming out VERY soon and is a vast improvement over the 610 (if lighter and more power is up your street).
SVs can be great bikes, just because they have the image doesn't mean your's can't be pimped with handling and engine parts to make it awsome!
The ER6's are great too, have been giving SVs a decent run, just look at Ryan Farquhars race bike ;]
https://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/irish-zx9r/Image078.jpg
Obviously you could get the ER6N if you preferred for a decent naked bike! ____________________ Kawasaki ER-5 - Honda Hornet 600 S
"A foetal shape is the body's default performance setting - think jockey, downhill skier... Tron." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| St0rmer66 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 St0rmer66 World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Nov 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:11 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM...
...KTM!
That is all. ____________________ :: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) :: |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Smooth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Smooth Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:50 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| St0rmer66 wrote: | KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM...
...KTM!
That is all. |
Unless you have secure parking where ever your going to be going.
STOLEN x 112 (No, its an estimate.)
 ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Smooth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Smooth Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Smooth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Smooth Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| karidian |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 karidian World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Apr 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:41 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Had an er6f (wrote it off but thats another story ) and found it comfortable enough for town or long runs. Was light enough that had no problem through traffic and i found it nippy enough at low gear too.
I know they are not for everyone but i would advise having a shot on one if you are considering a twin.
BTW im 6' and was 14.5 stone at the time so although a light bike perfectly capable of carrying me. So much so that when the time comes to get rid of my bandit i would seriously consider another
Just my 2p for what its worth. ____________________ G reg Honda CB1 400; 06 Kawasaki ER6F abs, X reg Bandit 600sy. 1998 Cb600f Hornet. 08 zx6r current. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum
|
Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 142.21 Kb
|