Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Considering changing from an IL4 to a single...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 10 Mar 2010    Post subject: Considering changing from an IL4 to a single... Reply with quote

Hi all - this is only theoretical at the moment, so I'm just getting soundings on what people think of the newer bike.

I have an old Bandit 6 at the moment, and it's great fun: I'm just starting to get the point of being able to push myself to the point where the bike starts to arguing.
I'm still having a laugh with it, as I've said, but I'm getting a bit worried: the area where I live has a lot of speed cameras (East London: Newham, specifically), and I'm finding that I have to spend more and more time watching the speedo to make sure that I keep my license.

The main thing that does it for me with bikes is the sensation of accelerating (the noise comes a close second Cool ), and the ability to throw myself through corners as a screaming 320kg lump of steel, aluminium and meat. Since much of my riding is within London and the suburbs (I hate motorway riding), I'm wondering whether a single would be more in line with my needs.

I've noticed the Yamaha MT-03, and I think it looks awesome. Question is, is it going to be a dissapointment? I know that it's significantly down on overall power, but is the perceived grunt of the bike going to make up for it?

I'm open to suggestions on alternative bikes, since I'm window shopping at the moment, but this is with a view to buying a bike within the next 12 months.

Supermotos are fun, so a KTM (if it's rideable n the city) would be of interest. Equally, I was sorely tempted by the Buell lightning* (the 900, not the 12), but since I'm worried about reliability, having a decent parts network is of importance to me.

*Yes, I know it's a V-twin, but it's not as rev-hungry as an IL4, so I can make use of the power of the engine more sensibly (and a little less obviously, given that a v-twin doesn't have that characteristic wail)

Has anyone got an MT-03 who is willing to comment? Has anyone else here gone from an IL-4 to a single/twin for the same reason?

Cheers in advance for the responses guys. Karma for those who are deserving of it... Very Happy
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 10 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of an MT-03 for urban and twisty riding.

Lightening it and fettling the suspension could be a good project.



If you want something more exotic, then the KTM Duke 690 would be the one to go for.
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20B/KTM%20%20690%20Duke%2008.jpg
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 10 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres only one way to know, and thats to have a go on one. My last IL4 (XJ pre diversion) was top heavy at low speeds, had a heavy clutch, and lumpy low down power delivery that made it hard work in town. But get it on an A road and i'd happily ride 100 miles on it.

My last single was an SRX600, tiny bike, very light, would wizz round town all day long. I did a 100 mile trip on it once and had it overheating due to me thrashing it to stay at 80-85 most of the way. Being kick start only could make it a real bitch to start, and being a single it could be hard to keep running nicely, as instead of running on 3, it just stopped Laughing

I'd love another single for round town riding, but for the open road unless modern singles have improved massively, i'd want a big twin.

Maybe try out an SV650?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just gone from a 1997 CBR600 to a 1980 CB250RSA.

On the CBR I could go very fast so I had to be careful. On a CB I can't go very fast so I'm not very careful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:29 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone from a CBR600 to an XT350 (well I already had it but it's become my only bike now). I really enjoy riding it to be honest, it's great round town and for chucking around roundabouts. No good on the open road though so I'm looking for something else. It's not that it can't keep up, it'll hit 90 on the clock, it just doesn't feel very nice after a smooth, unstressed 4 cylinder bike.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:23 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Considering changing from an IL4 to a single... Reply with quote

As you say 'perceived' grunt. The MT03 is a bike I don't realy 'get' - it gets under half the ower of a decent 600, yet weighs the same.
I do like lack of power for fun, but kinda expect it to lose some weight.

The KTM makes more sense, though is more expensive etc - and I'd go for the SMC/Enduro models pesonally.

As you say percived grunt - the reality is that it's got less go throughout the rev range. This is partly mitigated by lower gearing.
If you like the feeling of acceleration, then this may not be a great change for you.

For ease of town riding I'd take a big sports bike - they are narrower and have much more flexible power. However my CCM and KTM can still be good fun around town, but you have to try a bit harder - for commuting through town however, the wide bars annoy me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the MT-03, no idea if it's any good though.

AngelGrinder has/had one so it may be worth chucking him a PM. I remember seeing a video of his on Youtube........


Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRas4ByiUOc
____________________
MKGaming.com
2000 Honda CBR600F - Sold! 2003 Honda CBR600RR - Current!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://yamyambiker.com/bikes/yamaha/

Read the first few sections in his blog after he passed his test too, was his first bike and he got sick of it being so weak!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I was wondering whether having about half the HP would bother me or not.

What about narrow twins? I've thought abut the SV, but everyone bangs on about them being 'I've just passed my test' bikes.
The ER-6 is tempting, but the shim-based valve adjustment is a massive put off for me.
Can anyone think of a decent*, middleweight twin that doesn't scream sportsbike - a VTR would be unfathomable levels of overkill for my needs.

*something that doesn't have Italian electrics. I'm really not big on Ducatis, apart from the hypermotard. Don't think I'd ever own one, though.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 600 - 125 4 stroke single was an interesting change. I traded the 600 in for an ER6, which in hindsight, I thought was a bit of a mistake. The 650 didn't do much for me.

I know that my DRZ doesn't slow me down around town, I probably ride it more recklessly than my Blade. Brilliant fun though up to its relatively low top speed, but I seem to hit it a little too often... probably similar in speed to an MT03 - lighter though, with more off roading potential.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

Can anyone think of a decent*, middleweight twin that doesn't scream sportsbike - a VTR would be unfathomable levels of overkill for my needs.

A litre four would do it - less weight and more midrange than a VTR, but probably a bit more 'overkill'.

I wouldn't worry about the reputation of the SV, unless that's a major factor for you. I happily rode around on a road one for a year and the people who saw me on it had no idea that I had another race one in the garage that at some points I wasn't doing badly on in a race championship.

A cheap SV, then consider some suspension tweaks can get a decent bike for not much money.
The engine is far from 'fun' to my mind - it almost encourages you not to use it, but that can be a good thing if you want to keep the speeds down.

Oh and I wouldn't worry about shims - the vast majority of modern engines will use them - not sure if the MT 03 does, but think a lot of that engine design may be pre-date the iron age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, like the looks of the MT-03, but have been told, by people I trust - that I really wouldn't like it. Had I not gone through the V-twin route, it might not really be an issue, but it lacks grunt, by all accounts. And I am not prepared to lose that umph for good looks.

There are plenty other bikes out there, that have both the umph and good looks, it's just finding one to your particular taste.

I have narrowed down my 'next' bike (sort of) to one of three bikes. Have yet to find them and test ride them, to check they ride as well as I'd like them too. Thumbs Up I suggest you do this too. Go and ride whatever floats your boat, it's only truly the only way you'll know.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a IL2 850 to a 650 single.

Had a KTM LC4 and have a F650 GS.

The KTM was as uncomfortable as it was insane and got stolen after a fortnight of ownership. I know G would probably disagree but I think the seat on my one (an 04 model and I could never figure out is it was an Enduro or an SMC) was like sitting on a fence post attached to an upturned pneumatic drill.

My BMW is fine, not as wild as the KTM but just as much fun with arguably similar grunt. What puts it past the post is that it's comfy. Over all, I prefer it.

The in the MT03 is the same engine that sits in a XT660 I was told (by some chap in a yamaha dealership.) I was in looking at the XT and he said the MT03 had the same engine so I'd like that too. Perhaps if all I was interested in was the engine then maybe so, but I think the MT03 is one seriously ugly bike so I don't think so.

Thats about all I can say about it. My current bike is a good crossover, fine for long distances (I commute 60 miles a day round a city bypass and it hasn't missed a beat yet.) But it's still great fun around town (although it needs a smaller diameter front wheel.)

Ask around about the XT660, maybe get more of an idea about grunt or lack there-of.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tome
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pa_broon74 is right about the engine, if I was going for that classic Yamaha 660 single I'd go for the XT660X/R (SM/Enduro) rather than the MT03, I also think it's ugly lol!

Personally I would have my IL4 and a single so would probably go for a Husky 510 =P As my only bike, I find the KTM 640 and Husky 610 a lot of fun, the new Husky 630 is coming out VERY soon and is a vast improvement over the 610 (if lighter and more power is up your street).

SVs can be great bikes, just because they have the image doesn't mean your's can't be pimped with handling and engine parts to make it awsome!
The ER6's are great too, have been giving SVs a decent run, just look at Ryan Farquhars race bike ;]
https://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/irish-zx9r/Image078.jpg

Obviously you could get the ER6N if you preferred for a decent naked bike!
____________________
Kawasaki ER-5 - Honda Hornet 600 S
"A foetal shape is the body's default performance setting - think jockey, downhill skier... Tron."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Considering changing from an IL4 to a single... Reply with quote

‘Feels’ - that’s the thing. A bike can ‘feel’ grunty, but the reality is you’re not going very fast. This can be good in some cases, but in others, annoying. This is one reason why Harley riders often seem to think they’re ‘extreme’ - their machines are low geared and slow revving, but make lots of noise.

Of course a lower powered bike tends to have lower gearing, but what people often seem to forget is that if they want they feeling, they can always just down-gear their higher powered bike and actually get even more ‘grunt’ for a lot less money/hassle.


Big sports bike for town riding – I can’t see why you wouldn’t not want decent chassis/suspension and brakes along with a wide range of easy to use power, apart from the extra costs (and I think the depreciation costs of an MT03 are still fairly high, may be wrong there, though.) Don’t see any reason to go for a pretty-much over all less-capable bike if you don’t mind having lots of power.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM...

...KTM!

That is all.
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Considering changing from an IL4 to a single... Reply with quote

G wrote:
Big sports bike for town riding – I can’t see why you wouldn’t not want decent chassis/suspension and brakes along with a wide range of easy to use power, apart from the extra costs


But if you never get the throttle of your 1000cc il4 past 25% open (no matter how far round you hold the grip Wink ) then having an extra 100bhp is of no use. A grunty, low peak power engine, if that's what suits the rider and environment, is fine.
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

St0rmer66 wrote:
KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM, KTM...

...KTM!

That is all.


Unless you have secure parking where ever your going to be going.

STOLEN x 112 (No, its an estimate.)

Wink
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Considering changing from an IL4 to a single... Reply with quote

MC Bodge wrote:

But if you never get the throttle of your 1000cc il4 past 25% open (no matter how far round you hold the grip Wink ) then having an extra 100bhp is of no use. A grunty, low peak power engine, if that's what suits the rider and environment, is fine.

Being able to be in a high gear and still get plenty of power is of use to some.
Needing less gear changes is of use to some.
Having more go across more of the rev-range is what some find useful.

100% throttle often equates to not making full use of what the bike offers (ie it may be better to be on lower throttle to avoid wheelies). I find I’m at that position less on the GSXR than the ZX9, but still are a few times in a week at least. Remember 100% open in top tends to be rather different from 100% open in first at the same speed – and thus partly on it less on the GSXR thanks to the longer throttle Wink.

A low peak power engine tends to be described as ‘grunty’ because it’s missing top-end other bikes have, not because it actually has ‘go’.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Considering changing from an IL4 to a single... Reply with quote

G wrote:

100% throttle often equates to not making full use of what the bike offers (ie it may be better to be on lower throttle to avoid wheelies).

or maybe full throttle on a less powerful bike in an environment where you can't utilise any more than 40bhp anyway?

Quote:
A low peak power engine tends to be described as ‘grunty’ because it’s missing top-end other bikes have, not because it actually has ‘go’.


I'm not quite sure what you point is.

Opening the throttle wide will result in terrifying wheelie-filtering at 100mph in 1st on a fast sports bike ....or making sufficient progress on a single that has sufficient grunt from tickover. Effective off-the -mark acceleration will not be that different.


have you ever heard the phrase 'Sledgehammer to crack a walnut'?

https://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/84875690.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=6C4008C0FD9EB5A52A69BF173C098B6D3BE74642EE1361BBB6AC566F6B7943FA

If you use top gear on a fast sports bike during urban commuting then you must be making very good progress and live in a very different urban area to me.
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Considering changing from an IL4 to a single... Reply with quote

MC Bodge wrote:
Effective off-the -mark acceleration will not be that different.

But the big bike will require less effort - you can leave it in first and get that same acceleration that the single has, but never need to change gear in town without the engine feeling stressed or buzzy.

Quote:
If you use top gear on a fast sports bike during urban commuting then you must be making very good progress and live in a very different urban area to me.

Or like the relaxing ride a high gear and very low revs offers, but still want instant go. But that wasn't really the point of the top-gear comment. However it does illustrate how a 'bigger' bike can be easier to ride at a reasonable pace.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced at all.

You leave the 'fast bike' in first and have far too much 'go' for the tyres, skill or location and either have 90% of the bike's potential unused or go wanging into the back of the next traffic queue.


Anyway, what does that have to do with the original poster going from a Bandit to a MT03 for his urban rides?
____________________
TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

karidian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an er6f (wrote it off but thats another story Laughing ) and found it comfortable enough for town or long runs. Was light enough that had no problem through traffic and i found it nippy enough at low gear too.
I know they are not for everyone but i would advise having a shot on one if you are considering a twin.
BTW im 6' and was 14.5 stone at the time so although a light bike perfectly capable of carrying me. So much so that when the time comes to get rid of my bandit i would seriously consider another Thumbs Up
Just my 2p for what its worth.
____________________
G reg Honda CB1 400; 06 Kawasaki ER6F abs, X reg Bandit 600sy. 1998 Cb600f Hornet. 08 zx6r current.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You leave the 'fast bike' in first and have far too much 'go' for the tyres, skill or location and either have 90% of the bike's potential unused or go wanging into the back of the next traffic queue.

I don't want my commuting to be using 100% off the bike's potential, I want the bike to allow me to utilise 100% of my potential.
Ideally I want the bike to have plenty in reserve for the majority of the riding, so if needed I've got all I could want on tap.
For 'fun' out of town riding, it wouldn't be my choice at all, in those cases I do want to be make reasonably full use of what the bike has to offer.


Quote:
Anyway, what does that have to do with the original poster going from a Bandit to a MT03 for his urban rides?

I mentioned, because the original poster mentioned a firestorm - a sports 1000 has a wider range of power/torque and less weight which met some of his requirements, I did tack on that it would be even more 'overkill' so wasn't intending it to be taken seriously Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.81 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 142.21 Kb