Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Onlive - "The death of games consoles"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Onlive - "The death of games consoles" Reply with quote

https://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/9173/

I think it's a waste of time and money. It's meant to save you money by not having to buy a console but it's going to cost £120 a year not including games.

POINTLESS TO FUCK!!

Thoughts??
____________________
Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 11 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latency aside I think it's a pretty decent idea, keep in mind that this will pretty much allow an Ion based Atom netbook or nettop to play games like Crysis at 720p. Also keep in mind the implications it has with regards to publishers fed up of being unable to get anywhere with copy protection. Even steam is a relative haven for piracy compared to this. Assuming the royalties are sensible I suspect publishers will take quite a shine to the idea Thumbs Up
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, this'll definitely kill off the PC as a gaming platform. Same way the Mini killed off the Ferrari. Rolling Eyes Laughing
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:12 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1000 says it doesn't last 2 years
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Neorion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:07 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this a year or so ago.

I think a ton of people will buy into this if the infrastructure is right and of course it depends how good your web connection is and how stable the client is.

I would certainly try it out if there is a trial and who knows maybe I would pay for it.

You cant think of this as a gimmick if you do your missing the point.
The point of the system is to allow systems that couldn't normally run high end games, essentially bringing alienware to the masses if the TV option is done right it would be a great addition.

For me its interesting as I will be making the full mac switch when Apple release a new revision of the 27" imac with hopefully some more GPU power. In my case not necessarily for games but with CUDA on the horizon with GPU offloading it makes my imac a better future machine. I can then run onlive if my imac cant run games how I like.

That is if the go Nvidia of course.

Think of "onlive" as sitting anywhere on any machine with a web connection and a cpu able to run full screen flash, so most laptops at £300.
You then have access to the games (I assume) running at full whack. I don't know if AA etc will transfer well over the online pipe but it certainly opens up pc gaming to a lot more people.

£120 a year hmm to be honest I don't think that's a bad deal depending on what the catalog will be like.

£10 a month= packets of smokes and a mars bar Laughing

I wouldn't knock it just yet, my last GPU cost over £300, now I didn't have to spend that but I wanted my games to run full tilt. If onlive can promise me the same experience for £120 plus game costs then I could be tempted come upgrade time.


but then it could be 5hit Doh!
____________________
VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 12 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its too early to tell if this will work or not, it all depends on the networking infrastucture of an area, in theory they have to stream at least 1080p material at a constant minimum 30fps or it won't work.

Thats a hell of alot of bandwidth.

If the infrastucture is there then I dont see why it wont work.
____________________
Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 50.29 Kb