|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Carl_steveo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Carl_steveo World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:10 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: Onlive - "The death of games consoles" |
 |
|
https://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/9173/
I think it's a waste of time and money. It's meant to save you money by not having to buy a console but it's going to cost £120 a year not including games.
POINTLESS TO FUCK!!
Thoughts?? ____________________ Current: Honda Nsr 125
Live: Sunderland
Luke "cant be arsed to read your post, but suck my balls anyway." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Seb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Seb World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:31 - 11 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Latency aside I think it's a pretty decent idea, keep in mind that this will pretty much allow an Ion based Atom netbook or nettop to play games like Crysis at 720p. Also keep in mind the implications it has with regards to publishers fed up of being unable to get anywhere with copy protection. Even steam is a relative haven for piracy compared to this. Assuming the royalties are sensible I suspect publishers will take quite a shine to the idea  ____________________ 2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hetzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hetzer Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:15 - 12 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ya, this'll definitely kill off the PC as a gaming platform. Same way the Mini killed off the Ferrari.  ____________________ "There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Neorion |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Neorion World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jul 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:07 - 12 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I saw this a year or so ago.
I think a ton of people will buy into this if the infrastructure is right and of course it depends how good your web connection is and how stable the client is.
I would certainly try it out if there is a trial and who knows maybe I would pay for it.
You cant think of this as a gimmick if you do your missing the point.
The point of the system is to allow systems that couldn't normally run high end games, essentially bringing alienware to the masses if the TV option is done right it would be a great addition.
For me its interesting as I will be making the full mac switch when Apple release a new revision of the 27" imac with hopefully some more GPU power. In my case not necessarily for games but with CUDA on the horizon with GPU offloading it makes my imac a better future machine. I can then run onlive if my imac cant run games how I like.
That is if the go Nvidia of course.
Think of "onlive" as sitting anywhere on any machine with a web connection and a cpu able to run full screen flash, so most laptops at £300.
You then have access to the games (I assume) running at full whack. I don't know if AA etc will transfer well over the online pipe but it certainly opens up pc gaming to a lot more people.
£120 a year hmm to be honest I don't think that's a bad deal depending on what the catalog will be like.
£10 a month= packets of smokes and a mars bar
I wouldn't knock it just yet, my last GPU cost over £300, now I didn't have to spend that but I wanted my games to run full tilt. If onlive can promise me the same experience for £120 plus game costs then I could be tempted come upgrade time.
but then it could be 5hit  ____________________ VFR FI 2000- Shiney Red Thing
"some things man was never meant to know, for everything else there's Google" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Luke_Retrofly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Luke_Retrofly Silly Lesbian

Joined: 05 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|