|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Ghost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ghost Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:07 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: Got pulled by the fuzz today. 33 bhp test passers take note! |
 |
|
As soon as I clocked the marked up 5 series BMW parked in the petrol station I was passing I knew I was in trouble. New bike, fitted with a small numberplate, race can and a back tyre that's seen better days (new one in the post!) I knew I was in the wrong and it was a fair cop. Pulled out of the garage straight after me, and we played a gentle game of cat and mouse for a few miles of country roads, with me trying to get away without it looking like I was, and them stubbornly sticking with me.
Five minutes after the petrol station the blues came on and I pulled over into a layby. Cue friendly helloes, driving license handed over and bike getting closely inspected. The tyre, can and plate are all mentioned and I'm invited into the back of the car.
I'm expecting to get stuffed for all three, and bracing myself for the 3 points and £120 fine that I know is coming. However something a bit more serious is in line.
'So, what cc is that bike of yours?'
'600' I reply.
'Pretty quick that then I take it?'
'Yeah it goes alright, I've only had it a week or two so haven't tried it properly'
There's a pause, then;
'So what sort of power has a Ninja got these days?'
'About 100bhp, give or take a few'
A few more buttons are pressed on the computer, and then;
'Our records show you only have an entitlement on your license to ride up to 33 bhp, your license for that bike is only a provisional so you shouldn't be riding it. I'm afraid we're going to have to seize your vehicle and issue you a court summons, You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you may later rely on in court.'
It took a good five or ten minutes for me to explain that as I had passed two years previously, my restriction period was up and I now had a full license. The policeman's understanding was that at the end of two years, I should have applied for an updated license with the restriction removed. Luckily for me, I explained this and they contacted the DVLA to clarify the situation. The DVLA explained that I was licensed and after 2 years your restriction is automatically removed, however this doesn't seem to be well known in police circles and I was quite close to getting my bike taken from me!
I'm only posting this in case someone else isn't as lucky as I am and doesn't get a pair of considerate coppers. These guys could have quite easily just taken my bike and not bothered checking in to my license, but luckily they didn't believe the computer totally. So if your 2 year restriction is up and your license still says <25kw on it, it would be a good idea to send your license in and get it removed as it's likely to cause a lot of hassle if you get pulled!
As it was I definitely got let off, with only an MOT producer, fine for the small plate and instructions to get the tyre and exhaust changed straight away. Could have been a lot worse! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flip Super Spammer

Joined: 28 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:11 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
You live in North Wales and have a small number plate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:21 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
That's pretty good really, they spent time talking bollocks about 33bhp and didn't give you tickets for the tyre, exhaust or number plate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| D O G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 D O G World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DrDonnyBrago |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DrDonnyBrago World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ghost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ghost Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ditto |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ditto Nearly there...

Joined: 26 Sep 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ms51ves3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ms51ves3 Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:17 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
i passed my bike test in 1985, but i still went and checked it after reading this  ____________________ I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
Last edited by pepperami on 19:19 - 18 Mar 2010; edited 2 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c-m |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c-m World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 May 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ghost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ghost Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bEN_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bEN_ World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Dec 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| brooky |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 brooky Brolly Dolly
Joined: 27 Jan 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ghost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ghost Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T0MMY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T0MMY World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:02 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
You can't say that on here; ALL of the police are ALWAYS complete bastards and they in no way act like bastards the more they perceive that you think they're bastards. ____________________ ZX6R + CBR600RR |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wafer_Thin_Ham |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wafer_Thin_Ham Super Spammer

Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:05 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I still have my 33bhp restriction, which expired two years ago.
I don't trust the DVLA not to "lose" my entitlements.
The police are welcome to seize my bike, but if I'm legal they can spin. ____________________ My Flickr |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DrDonnyBrago |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DrDonnyBrago World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:21 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Why oh why do people have (come and pull me over),smaller number plates It never ceases to amaze me I presume they were confiscating the bike to have it tested on a dyno or similar  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| qarka |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 qarka Spanner Monkey

Joined: 10 Mar 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:47 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do you think if they had seized your bike but you were later found to have done nothing wrong you would still have to pay the removal and storage fees? I wouldn't put it past them  ____________________ Previous - Sinnis Apache - Honda Bros 400 - Yamaha SR500 - Honda Transalp - Kawasaki ZX-7R - Honda CB-1 - Honda 929 Fireblade - Honda NTV650 [b]Current[\b] Honda CB500 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| smithy1219 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 smithy1219 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 11 Apr 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| That_Hornet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 That_Hornet World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| njd27 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 njd27 Trackday Trickster
Joined: 14 May 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| m0l0t0v |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 m0l0t0v World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:41 - 18 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Ghost wrote: | Still, it's taught me a lesson I won't forget
|
Yeah, don't pull over and make it interesting
| Vincent wrote: | Why oh why do people have (come and pull me over),smaller number plates  It never ceases to amaze me  I presume they were confiscating the bike to have it tested on a dyno or similar  |
I doubt they would've tested it as he said himself (around 100bhp) so that alone makes them think "why bother testing for it?"
And why not have smaller numberplate? I have a small one. Doesn't take the piss. Can be read by the ANPR's and everything. Every single officer I've spoken to said "technically, it is small, but can be read by the cameras and we can see it clearly so I don't see any reason to do anything"
As for all traffic cops being dicks trying to "do you in"
Maybe the officers in the marked police car were dicks after all, when I overtook them at 80 in a 50 and they just said "be careful" in a summed up way. They had me on camera, showed it to me. They were decent blokes. Neither of them rode bikes, but one bloke did say "I know what it's like, get yer knee down, wind on your face"
Only ever had one arsehole. And tbh. He was a fugly cunt and I knew he was gonna be a dick. Pulled me over for 30.5 in a 30 and told me if I was speeding he'd give me a ticket. And that I would die on the roads because there's leaves on the gutters  ____________________ '99 Hornet 600 , VFR 400 NC30 '92 , Kasawamasaki GT 550 , '98 Hornet 600
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vincent |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Vincent Banned

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|