Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Got pulled by the fuzz today. 33 bhp test passers take note!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Got pulled by the fuzz today. 33 bhp test passers take note! Reply with quote

As soon as I clocked the marked up 5 series BMW parked in the petrol station I was passing I knew I was in trouble. New bike, fitted with a small numberplate, race can and a back tyre that's seen better days (new one in the post!) I knew I was in the wrong and it was a fair cop. Pulled out of the garage straight after me, and we played a gentle game of cat and mouse for a few miles of country roads, with me trying to get away without it looking like I was, and them stubbornly sticking with me.

Five minutes after the petrol station the blues came on and I pulled over into a layby. Cue friendly helloes, driving license handed over and bike getting closely inspected. The tyre, can and plate are all mentioned and I'm invited into the back of the car.

I'm expecting to get stuffed for all three, and bracing myself for the 3 points and £120 fine that I know is coming. However something a bit more serious is in line.

'So, what cc is that bike of yours?'
'600' I reply.
'Pretty quick that then I take it?'
'Yeah it goes alright, I've only had it a week or two so haven't tried it properly'

There's a pause, then;
'So what sort of power has a Ninja got these days?'
'About 100bhp, give or take a few'

A few more buttons are pressed on the computer, and then;

'Our records show you only have an entitlement on your license to ride up to 33 bhp, your license for that bike is only a provisional so you shouldn't be riding it. I'm afraid we're going to have to seize your vehicle and issue you a court summons, You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you may later rely on in court.'

It took a good five or ten minutes for me to explain that as I had passed two years previously, my restriction period was up and I now had a full license. The policeman's understanding was that at the end of two years, I should have applied for an updated license with the restriction removed. Luckily for me, I explained this and they contacted the DVLA to clarify the situation. The DVLA explained that I was licensed and after 2 years your restriction is automatically removed, however this doesn't seem to be well known in police circles and I was quite close to getting my bike taken from me!

I'm only posting this in case someone else isn't as lucky as I am and doesn't get a pair of considerate coppers. These guys could have quite easily just taken my bike and not bothered checking in to my license, but luckily they didn't believe the computer totally. So if your 2 year restriction is up and your license still says <25kw on it, it would be a good idea to send your license in and get it removed as it's likely to cause a lot of hassle if you get pulled!

As it was I definitely got let off, with only an MOT producer, fine for the small plate and instructions to get the tyre and exhaust changed straight away. Could have been a lot worse!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live in North Wales and have a small number plate. Doh!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty good really, they spent time talking bollocks about 33bhp and didn't give you tickets for the tyre, exhaust or number plate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they actually have the power to seize the bike?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:27 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't riding within the terms of your licence then yes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
That's pretty good really, they spent time talking bollocks about 33bhp and didn't give you tickets for the tyre, exhaust or number plate. Very Happy


Yep, I think they were so worried about the license they forgot about the rest. I told him he'd shit me up something rotten, I think they felt guilty for making me think my bike was gonna get seized so decided to be kind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. In a few years I'm sure this could be rather useful. Surely the DVLA should just automatically send you a new licence or at least a reminder after the two years...
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ditto
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats stupid, i think they charge you for having the probabtion removed. £20 i think.

Ill definatley not be paying that when ill already be legal.

Surely though they can see the date you passed on the back of the licence, and take off 2 years to see you are legal?
____________________
CG 125 > Bandit 600 > CBR 600 FY > Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto wrote:
Surely though they can see the date you passed on the back of the licence, and take off 2 years to see you are legal?


They're police, not genii.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i passed my bike test in 1985, but i still went and checked it after reading this Smile
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!


Last edited by pepperami on 19:19 - 18 Mar 2010; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
Do they actually have the power to seize the bike?


They could have seized it but they couldn't have tried to make you pay for anything as you were law abiding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto wrote:
Thats stupid, i think they charge you for having the probabtion removed. £20 i think.

Ill definatley not be paying that when ill already be legal.

Surely though they can see the date you passed on the back of the licence, and take off 2 years to see you are legal?


I know it's not right, but I could have had my bike seized today. The reality is, even though you're legal there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so £20 seems worth paying to save yourself the hassle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bEN_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few months left on mine and i will not be sending it off, i don't trust the DVLA one bit.
____________________
2010 Ducati 848 Dark

Lamp Post Enthusiast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

brooky
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:

I think they felt guilty for making me think my bike was gonna get seized so decided to be kind.


I can assure you they didn't. Most traffic police are smug scum and find the smallest reason to cause you hassle.

They would hit any motorist with the book if they was doing something unknowingly wrong (i.e misunderstanding) but yet they dont even know the laws and systems themselves? Ridiculous.

I would say you was lucky to get away with it, but you didn't do anything wrong in the first place. Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R 750 K6.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I think these two guys were genuinely okay and the driver of the car mentioned he rode bikes himself. I was lucky either way, I like to think my helpful and polite attitude helped matters though. Still, it's taught me a lesson I won't forget so I'm gonna make sure my bike is always tip top from now on!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhh!

You can't say that on here; ALL of the police are ALWAYS complete bastards and they in no way act like bastards the more they perceive that you think they're bastards.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my 33bhp restriction, which expired two years ago.

I don't trust the DVLA not to "lose" my entitlements.

The police are welcome to seize my bike, but if I'm legal they can spin.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

bEN_ wrote:
I've got a few months left on mine and i will not be sending it off, i don't trust the DVLA one bit.



HAHAHA a 33bhp 848...

Either a HUGE waste or a bike seizure waiting to happen!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

qarka
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think if they had seized your bike but you were later found to have done nothing wrong you would still have to pay the removal and storage fees? I wouldn't put it past them Confused
____________________
Previous - Sinnis Apache - Honda Bros 400 - Yamaha SR500 - Honda Transalp - Kawasaki ZX-7R - Honda CB-1 - Honda 929 Fireblade - Honda NTV650 [b]Current[\b] Honda CB500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smithy1219
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 years is up today!!!So im taking note for future reference.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithy1219 wrote:
My 2 years is up today!!!So im taking note for future reference.


Dance!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

njd27
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:
I dunno, I think these two guys were genuinely okay and the driver of the car mentioned he rode bikes himself.


They always says that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:
Still, it's taught me a lesson I won't forget


Yeah, don't pull over and make it interesting Wink


Vincent wrote:
Why oh why do people have (come and pull me over),smaller number plates Question It never ceases to amaze me Rolling Eyes I presume they were confiscating the bike to have it tested on a dyno or similar Confused


I doubt they would've tested it as he said himself (around 100bhp) so that alone makes them think "why bother testing for it?"


And why not have smaller numberplate? I have a small one. Doesn't take the piss. Can be read by the ANPR's and everything. Every single officer I've spoken to said "technically, it is small, but can be read by the cameras and we can see it clearly so I don't see any reason to do anything"

As for all traffic cops being dicks trying to "do you in" Rolling Eyes


Maybe the officers in the marked police car were dicks after all, when I overtook them at 80 in a 50 and they just said "be careful" in a summed up way. They had me on camera, showed it to me. They were decent blokes. Neither of them rode bikes, but one bloke did say "I know what it's like, get yer knee down, wind on your face"

Only ever had one arsehole. And tbh. He was a fugly cunt and I knew he was gonna be a dick. Pulled me over for 30.5 in a 30 and told me if I was speeding he'd give me a ticket. And that I would die on the roads because there's leaves on the gutters Laughing
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.06 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.05 Kb