Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What to do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

What to do going forward?
Just go for it on finance
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Save up some money and go for it on finance (and / or use a loan from elsewhere)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Don't get in to debt - save up and buy it when you're able
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Spend ~£120 on a normal test instead and be restricted
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
Just stick to your CBT - your Honda CG is amazing!
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

Author Message

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: What to do? Reply with quote

There have been a couple of threads recently about which bike, vaugely discussing finance options and some people talking about doing their DAS recently. This has me seriously thinking. I've been on the road two years now, and will have to do my CBT again next month to stay on the road.

Went up to my honda dealership recently and was informed that a DAS (which I sorely would prefer to do) costs £700 (Shocked is that more than most places?) or it's discounted to about £325 if I buy my first big bike from them. And here's the thing, they offered finance not only on a new bike but on the cost of the test too (which is one of those garenteed pass ones)! This is evil temptation.

I wasn't there for very long so I'm not sure on all of the details but was told that the best finance option that might be available to me is about £115 a month for the discounted test and a £2000 bike over two years. That's not really that good is it...?

I'm not sure I have a solid enough financial position (I live off of freelance work right now) to go for it anyway, although I could save up a safety buffer and then go for it... I'm unsure.

So anyway, please vote and give your opinions. Much appriciated Thanks Thumbs Up
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:59 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it cost £120 to take a normal A1 test these days?

Given your fondness for the CG, and lack of funds to do a DAS, I'd take the normal test. If you're over 21 you can do accelerated access to remove the restriction afterwards if you choose.

You like the CG. You may find a bigger bike disappointing. You'd probably enjoy a classic, which would be under 33hp anyway.

£115 a month over 24 months is £2300. If you really choose the loan route you could just get a loan to cover the price of a DAS (less than £700 if you go anywhere but a Honda dealer) and do that. You know full well that at some point in the next couple of years you'd end up selling that bike for under a grand to pay for something else and still being saddled with the loan to pay off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:10 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Does it cost £120 to take a normal A1 test these days?


That cost was more theory + mod 1 + mod 2.

Robby wrote:
Given your fondness for the CG, and lack of funds to do a DAS, I'd take the normal test. If you're over 21 you can do accelerated access to remove the restriction afterwards if you choose.


How much does accelerated access cost after having done the normal test?

Robby wrote:
You like the CG. You may find a bigger bike disappointing. You'd probably enjoy a classic, which would be under 33hp anyway.


The couple of times I've been on a motorway (Shhh! don't tell anybody) the CG became sorely disappointing Laughing

Robby wrote:
£115 a month over 24 months is £2300. If you really choose the loan route you could just get a loan to cover the price of a DAS (less than £700 if you go anywhere but a Honda dealer) and do that. You know full well that at some point in the next couple of years you'd end up selling that bike for under a grand to pay for something else and still being saddled with the loan to pay off.


I've had my CG for one and a half years. I probably wouldn't want another bike before two years to be honest with you. Good to hear a DAS is less if not from a Honda dealership though.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:41 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a few days practice and then do your test I would think you are looking at £500+ wherever you go, and a lot of places are putting restrictions on how much training they will do if you fail, ie, not a guaranteed pass so I'm not sure £700 for that is actually too bad nowadays
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:02 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If you have a few days practice and then do your test I would think you are looking at £500+ wherever you go, and a lot of places are putting restrictions on how much training they will do if you fail, ie, not a guaranteed pass so I'm not sure £700 for that is actually too bad nowadays


I dont want to be too arrogant but after 12,000 miles covered in the last two years (mostly on roads that are not easy and boring motorways and dual carriage ways) I really don't think I need practice. £325 isn't that bad if it gets me a full licence to ride any bike with any power immediately I suppose, it's just roughly twice as much as otherwise? I wouldn't do it for more than that though.

I want to keep on travelling as much and more but am really feeling restricted now more than ever.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:06 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many bad habits (as far as the test is concerned) have you got now though mate. It's not about how good a rider, its about riding how the tester expects.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:14 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fair point. I have to say I do not know. I have no bad habbits I know of but it's very possible that I have them. I know of when I'm supposed to do my life savers (for example) and even do most of them while riding Laughing

I'm incredibly confident, but that might well not translate in to a pass. I'm pretty sure though that at least the above mentioned DAS would give me a couple of practices or more to work that out as you say anyway Smile
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:22 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it? If you can already ride a bike why does the Direct Access cost any more than the cost of the theory and practical tests and maybe one lesson to spot the bad habits?

I had to do my test again a few years back after losing my licence. I just did a CBT, got one lesson then sat the big bike test, it didn't cost all that much.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:35 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

T0MMY wrote:
I don't get it? If you can already ride a bike why does the Direct Access cost any more than the cost of the theory and practical tests and maybe one lesson to spot the bad habits?

I had to do my test again a few years back after losing my licence. I just did a CBT, got one lesson then sat the big bike test, it didn't cost all that much.


I am completely uneducated, hence why I am asking for help here. I know that ultimately the normal test doesn't cost much. How much does the big bike test / DAS / accelerated access course actually cost? (yes I'm being lazy to not look it up, but I am also searching for opinion).

I think I'm understanding you more now. DAS is more an intensive course for people who don't know how to ride a bike, and the accelerated access course is something else?

In which case, from what I now remember with my conversation at the Honda dealership, he was indeed talking about an accelerated access course and not a DAS. Meaning... those prices really are a bit ridiculous.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:44 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea how much a course costs, what I'm saying is do you actually need a course?

The test I think costs the same or similar whether you sit it on a 125 or a 500.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:56 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

T0MMY wrote:
I've no idea how much a course costs, what I'm saying is do you actually need a course?

The test I think costs the same or similar whether you sit it on a 125 or a 500.


The reason I'm considering it is that there is an option to put the cost of it on finance (with the bike) if I do the course.

I know that I could just do the test, but then I wouldn't have the money for a bike to take advantage of it with.

To answer your question, no I probably don't need a course.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:59 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm probably not much help to you as my stock answer to any question like this is if you can't afford to pay for the bike up front then get a cheaper bike. It's a luxury good; I wouldn't borrow money for any luxury and I certainly wouldn't pay for a course I don't need just because it's on finance.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The five day DAS course is circa 700 quid in most places: I know that's roughly what I paid.
You can ask to borrow a 500 for the test itself, if you can find a school that'll do a DAS 'refresher' course, or something. It'll cost significantly less, and you're more than prepared for it, I'd reckon. Let them take you out on a guided day, though, because it'll mean that they can evaluate your riding as far as it pertains to the test, and offer you advice on any habits you've picked up, as polarbear mentioned.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're happy on a CG125.
Finance is bad.
The test is not going to get easier, or cheaper.

Take the normal test.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a local bike place how much it would be to do my test, £450 was their answer. Doing a normal test was £50 at the time so i just went out early in the morning and practiced like mad, then booked my test. Passed first go with 1 minor. So it's defiantly doable and really doesn't have to cost much provided you put the effort in. I say give the test a go anyway if your CBT is running out. Provided you look around you alot and check your mirrors constantly i'd say your odds are good Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

HP
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 15 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say do the a2 restricted lisence you won't need training i only rode my 125 700 miles before my test and passed with no training, so you would be fine. Then buy a cb500 or similar and when you have more money do the extended test that way you won't have to pay the £700 fee as you will have your own bike so you won't have to borrwo one. Hope that makes sense.

Harry
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a book that tells you all the correct techniques for the test too, I just got it from the library for both my car and bike tests.

I reckon taking a one hour lesson is worthwhile to make sure you don't have any obvious bad habits. I did this with my bike test and even for my car licence I only had 2 hours of lessons, the rest I learnt from a book (I had noone to teach me for free as my parents lived 400 miles away). Passed both bike tests and the car test first time.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone around for DAS I reckon - vast majority of people that had the choice and stuck with 33hp seemed to regret I'd say.

I'd get some decent 'good standard riding' in then see if somewhere will allow you to do a shorter course if needed - so they'll do an initial assessment and go from there or something. You could also consider making it into a bit of an adventure and staying with someone/using a tent to stay for a few days and do the course somewhere cheaper.

Incidentally, not sure on the specifics, but you have to do DAS on a bike with over 46hp I think - not sure how that works with 33hp restriction, or if anyone actually knows about it, but suspect it's going to make it complicated if they do.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're over 21, then not doing DAS is foolish.

Buying a bike from a dealer on finance is also financially foolish IMO, it's probably the most expensive way you can do it.

So, find a cheaper way of doing your DAS. Passing it only means that you can ride a 'big' bike, not that you have to.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yuri2085
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only additional cost for the DAS is the rent for a bigger bike.

The cost you have quoted for the A2 test includes no training so I would assume you can get by with only one days training for your DAS to get used to the bike.

This is if you will ACTUALLY pass everything on the A2 with no training.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm hearing is that:

Arrow Finance is bad.
Arrow Now I'm over 21 the normal test would be a regret.
Arrow I can find cheaper ways of doing it.

Interesting about the cost of renting a big bike in there though. I was told that the cost included doing it on a Hornet so £325 starts to make sense actually.

Thanks all for your thoughts, I wouldn't be rushing in to debt any time soon. The bike he was recommending at £2000 grand was a cb500 too Razz and it was in pretty good condition (well I was staring at it, because I know it's a reliable bike).
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the CG for a couple of years. Look at the price of fuel at present. You know it makes sense Wink
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Stick with the CG for a couple of years. Look at the price of fuel at present. You know it makes sense Wink


Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping my CG (or another small bike) if at all possible because I ride around town a lot. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't like a big bike already.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickledswede
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to be getting a CB500 £2000 seems like a lot of money. Mine was only £800, yes it is 15 years old and a little bit rusty but you could get a much better bike for £2000.

£115 a month for 2 years works out at about £2760 doesn't it? So you'd be paying the cost of the entire test aswell not a discounted one wouldn't you?

If I were you I'd look around for a cheaper DAS course, £700 sounds like quite a lot, although not hugely more than it should be. Given you already have plenty of experience I would have thought you could just do a few lessons then the test, rather than the whole course, you certainly could for the restricted licence but maybe it's different rules for DAS. Worth asking anyway, as it would be significantly cheaper!

Given your financial situation I'd say do what you can afford. Get your priorities in order:

1. Pass a test
2. Pass a test which gets you a de restricted licence
3. Get a bigger bike.

Pass whichever test you can afford in the short time available, I wouldn't suggest accelerated access was a good idea because inevitably it's going to be more money, but if you can't afford DAS at the moment it might be the best way. Also don't get caught up by the dealers offering you discount if you buy a bike. If you can't even afford the test you can't afford the bike either and remember you're only saving money by spending more! If it really is £115 a month it works out as no discount anyway as far as I can tell?

-Edit-
By the way my restricted test cost me £450 because I had no experience on a bike, that was for 2 and a half days training then both parts of the test, if I'd have just taken the test or had a couple of hours lessons it would have been a lot cheaper. That's why I'm suggesting that for DAS as I would assume the £700 is for a few days training which you arguably may not need, and then the test
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 133.67 Kb