|
|
| What to do going forward? |
| Just go for it on finance |
|
12% |
[ 3 ] |
| Save up some money and go for it on finance (and / or use a loan from elsewhere) |
|
12% |
[ 3 ] |
| Don't get in to debt - save up and buy it when you're able |
|
28% |
[ 7 ] |
| Spend ~£120 on a normal test instead and be restricted |
|
40% |
[ 10 ] |
| Just stick to your CBT - your Honda CG is amazing! |
|
8% |
[ 2 ] |
|
| Total Votes : 25 |
|
| Author |
Message |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:47 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: What to do? |
 |
|
There have been a couple of threads recently about which bike, vaugely discussing finance options and some people talking about doing their DAS recently. This has me seriously thinking. I've been on the road two years now, and will have to do my CBT again next month to stay on the road.
Went up to my honda dealership recently and was informed that a DAS (which I sorely would prefer to do) costs £700 ( is that more than most places?) or it's discounted to about £325 if I buy my first big bike from them. And here's the thing, they offered finance not only on a new bike but on the cost of the test too (which is one of those garenteed pass ones)! This is evil temptation.
I wasn't there for very long so I'm not sure on all of the details but was told that the best finance option that might be available to me is about £115 a month for the discounted test and a £2000 bike over two years. That's not really that good is it...?
I'm not sure I have a solid enough financial position (I live off of freelance work right now) to go for it anyway, although I could save up a safety buffer and then go for it... I'm unsure.
So anyway, please vote and give your opinions. Much appriciated Thanks  ____________________ will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 03:14 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Very fair point. I have to say I do not know. I have no bad habbits I know of but it's very possible that I have them. I know of when I'm supposed to do my life savers (for example) and even do most of them while riding
I'm incredibly confident, but that might well not translate in to a pass. I'm pretty sure though that at least the above mentioned DAS would give me a couple of practices or more to work that out as you say anyway  ____________________ will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T0MMY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T0MMY World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T0MMY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T0MMY World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T0MMY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T0MMY World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:32 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
The five day DAS course is circa 700 quid in most places: I know that's roughly what I paid.
You can ask to borrow a 500 for the test itself, if you can find a school that'll do a DAS 'refresher' course, or something. It'll cost significantly less, and you're more than prepared for it, I'd reckon. Let them take you out on a guided day, though, because it'll mean that they can evaluate your riding as far as it pertains to the test, and offer you advice on any habits you've picked up, as polarbear mentioned. ____________________ '10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:46 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
You're happy on a CG125.
Finance is bad.
The test is not going to get easier, or cheaper.
Take the normal test. ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:47 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I asked a local bike place how much it would be to do my test, £450 was their answer. Doing a normal test was £50 at the time so i just went out early in the morning and practiced like mad, then booked my test. Passed first go with 1 minor. So it's defiantly doable and really doesn't have to cost much provided you put the effort in. I say give the test a go anyway if your CBT is running out. Provided you look around you alot and check your mirrors constantly i'd say your odds are good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| HP |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 HP Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 15 Oct 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| T0MMY |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 T0MMY World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Jun 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| D O G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 D O G World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yuri2085 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yuri2085 World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jul 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:44 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
What I'm hearing is that:
Finance is bad.
Now I'm over 21 the normal test would be a regret.
I can find cheaper ways of doing it.
Interesting about the cost of renting a big bike in there though. I was told that the cost included doing it on a Hornet so £325 starts to make sense actually.
Thanks all for your thoughts, I wouldn't be rushing in to debt any time soon. The bike he was recommending at £2000 grand was a cb500 too and it was in pretty good condition (well I was staring at it, because I know it's a reliable bike). ____________________ will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:08 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Stick with the CG for a couple of years. Look at the price of fuel at present. You know it makes sense  ____________________ The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alexio |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alexio World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pickledswede |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pickledswede Traffic Copper
Joined: 15 Jul 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:19 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you're going to be getting a CB500 £2000 seems like a lot of money. Mine was only £800, yes it is 15 years old and a little bit rusty but you could get a much better bike for £2000.
£115 a month for 2 years works out at about £2760 doesn't it? So you'd be paying the cost of the entire test aswell not a discounted one wouldn't you?
If I were you I'd look around for a cheaper DAS course, £700 sounds like quite a lot, although not hugely more than it should be. Given you already have plenty of experience I would have thought you could just do a few lessons then the test, rather than the whole course, you certainly could for the restricted licence but maybe it's different rules for DAS. Worth asking anyway, as it would be significantly cheaper!
Given your financial situation I'd say do what you can afford. Get your priorities in order:
1. Pass a test
2. Pass a test which gets you a de restricted licence
3. Get a bigger bike.
Pass whichever test you can afford in the short time available, I wouldn't suggest accelerated access was a good idea because inevitably it's going to be more money, but if you can't afford DAS at the moment it might be the best way. Also don't get caught up by the dealers offering you discount if you buy a bike. If you can't even afford the test you can't afford the bike either and remember you're only saving money by spending more! If it really is £115 a month it works out as no discount anyway as far as I can tell?
-Edit-
By the way my restricted test cost me £450 because I had no experience on a bike, that was for 2 and a half days training then both parts of the test, if I'd have just taken the test or had a couple of hours lessons it would have been a lot cheaper. That's why I'm suggesting that for DAS as I would assume the £700 is for a few days training which you arguably may not need, and then the test |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|