Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Where to get a 6v Battery?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:56 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Where to get a 6v Battery? Reply with quote

I learned earlier this evening that the bike I'm picking up on Sunday has no battery. So my options are use arm signals or find a battery tomorrow at some point. I went on the Halfords website and they don't seem to stock them, so does anyone know of a high street shop that may be of use? Do bike shops tend to have them? I'm in Southampton.
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:53 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what bike it's for. Our local Honda dealers no longer stocks 6v batteries, but the Yam dealer does. You can buy 6 volters online but that'll mean a wait for delivery.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 6v battery for my RXS100 a few months back. Was only like £12:

https://www.wemoto.com/

what bike is it for?
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for an RXS100. Unfortunately I can't get one delivered by sunday. Might try a couple of the local shops and hope.

edit: None of the the local shops have the right battery. I guess I'm using arm signals... Am I right in thinking everything but the indicators work on an RXS without a battery?
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought 6volt batteries from John Oldfield in Waterloo road A few years ago.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

beechbone wrote:
It's for an RXS100. Unfortunately I can't get one delivered by sunday. Might try a couple of the local shops and hope.

edit: None of the the local shops have the right battery. I guess I'm using arm signals... Am I right in thinking everything but the indicators work on an RXS without a battery?


The indicators will still work...until the revs drop.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just have to rag it all the way home then Razz I'll be taking the back roads following my dad in the car so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Will get one online next week.
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's risky running it without a battery.
I expect damage to alternator and rectifier would be likely.
If there's a dead battery it would be better than none.
(but don't stall Very Happy )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the RXS 100 but if it uses an alternator charging system then it ain't going to run at all without a battery.
____________________
A good loser will always be a loser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allegedly the battery fell out because the owner forgot to clip it in properly... So I won't have a battery at all. It's about a 90 minute trip.

Why do you think damage would be likely? RXS owners care to comment?
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really considering delaying picking up the bike until later in the week when I have a battery. Don't want to ride it home if it'll damage anything... But I want my bike now! Sad
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:10 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ride it without a battery if it is an alternator system. A generator system you can get away with on some bikes but not an alternator.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:25 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfectly safe to ride an RXS without the battery. I've done so numerous times. The bike has a completely independent ignition system - just one of the many advantages it has over lesser vehicles Cool
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:01 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought that was the case but previous posts got me a bit worried. I'll be picking up the bike in a few hours.

I'll order a battery on monday and hopefully have a completely functional bike by the end of the week Very Happy
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly everyone seems to be getting RXS100s Razz
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Suddenly everyone seems to be getting RXS100s Razz


no
you just joined a forum
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
27cows wrote:
Suddenly everyone seems to be getting RXS100s Razz


no
you just joined a forum


On which an inordinate number of people seem to be getting a model of bike which hasn't been made in nearly 15 years Wink
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

or have just been getting them the whole time and you didnt realise it.
its probably been happening for around 15 years?
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
or have just been getting them the whole time and you didnt realise it.
its probably been happening for around 15 years?


There can't be that many RXS100s left now. Things like GP100/125s and the like mostly became extinct years ago. There's about ten people on here with RXSs now. Maybe my endless RXS hyping has had an effect Laughing
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused they're common as muck. i think theres about 5 in the local breakers.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
Confused they're common as muck. i think theres about 5 in the local breakers.


They're not common round here. I know a lot have survived on account of them being immensely tough, but not in the Medway area. Then again, that could be coz I've bought them all up for spares by now Shocked
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it home following my dad in the car. Riding about 60 miles without indicators and with a brake light that's barely visible was a bit scary but I really enjoyed myself. Just got to get a battery now Very Happy
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 113.16 Kb