Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Stuck in a rut

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Stuck in a rut Reply with quote

I've had my Diversion 600 for three years now. In that time it's served me well: it's taken me to work everyday, done a couple of modest European tours, lapped the Nurburgring, attended various rallies and cost me relatively little in time and money to keep running.

I haven't got any sentimental feelings for the bike, as you'll know it's a basic, underpowered UJM. I really should sell it and buy something more exciting... but... I've had a long ride on a few fairly varied bikes recently (borrowed off mates) and not been particularly enthusiastic about any of them. F800GS - meh, TDM 900 - OK. Had a 30 mile blast on a 58 plate R6 last weekend and wasn't overawed by that either, although it is a beautifully put together piece of kit and the acceleration is pant-wetting as I'm used to a wheezy plodder.

I reckon I like riding the bike and bike camping and rallying and fettling more than I actually like the bikes themselves. The way I feel at the moment, if I sold it and bought something else I'd just be doing it for the sake of it. So many riders though change their bikes as often as their socks, or so it seems!

Hopefully it's just a phase... or should I be taking a long, hard look at myself? Very Happy

Anyone else ever felt like this?
____________________
Yamaha XJ600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biking is about having fun and enjoying the ride.

Since you're doing it, I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with you. Although I haven't been riding for too long I've already seen quite a lot of people who buy new bikes just because it's considered cool in other's eyes. Some enjoy that in biking I guess, some others enjoy the ride itself Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way.

Only want to change my bike when something goes wrong with it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nowt wrong with you, quit yer whinging!

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but you can have good and bad rides on anything, whether it's ideal or totally unsuited to the task..... the bike is almost incidental, it almost doesn't matter.

When we return from Holland this Easter the Blackbird's going on the market 'cos I need some quick cash, and I'll be left only my dull old CB750.... But we'll still be off to all the rallys and festivals we've got booked, will still be doing the Round Britain Rally stuff that we do and we'll still just bugger off out on the bikes when the mood takes us. Some rides will be a laugh, some will be shit.... Some days I'll just not be up for it, and some days I'll just want to ride and never stop, it will still all be an adventure. We'll still be excited on the way to parties, and hungover on the way back, just like always, for as long as I can remember..... The bike has changed over the years, but most other things are pretty much the same.

There are those to whom it's all about the biggest, fastest, coolest or whatever, and whether that's down to an appreciation of awesome engineering, ego, low self-esteem doesn't matter much. People get different things out of stuff, and it's all good.
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly something will catch your eye and you will start to want it - always the same...
With me it's this, but not sure I really want it yet.


https://www.bikesandscooters.com.au/forum/attachments/members-lounge-general-discussion/1838d1207621668-2008-speed-triple-matt-black-triumph-20speed-20triple-20matt-20black.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sport tourer...thats what your post is telling me.

Ducati ST2...Simple to service. Grunt. Practical and not bad looking.

Triumph Sprint ST..More sports than tour. Grunt. Agile for a thou. Again lookin' nice.

Muse on those babies.


Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swiftb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had my bike around a year and a half now and cant see me considering changing it in the next year. It does everything I want it to, granted, it could do certain things a little better but not enough for me to want to change it. Theres no way I could get anything better for the money anyway so every time I think of changing it I soon decide against it when I realise how much more money Id have to plough in.
Id consider changing it in maybe a year but only for something drastically newer/better. (nice k7/8 gsxr750 maybe Drooling )
However my bike does have sentimental value too and I often think when it comes to the crunch, rather than replace it I may get another bike to 'compliment' it instead.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Sport tourer...thats what your post is telling me.


You're spot on, of course - I do find myself drawn to quick, practical bikes. When I'm looking over a bike "how much camping gear can I strap to this?" is fairly high up my list of considerations, as is "can I service this myself?" (I'm a tight get) Triumph ST is a good suggestion. Half faired Bandit 12 or maybe even an XJR tick some of the boxes too. VFR too, but they're not cheap or particularly simple to keep on the road.

I'll bet myself I'll still have the Diversion in 12 months though! Smile
____________________
Yamaha XJ600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You arent alone mate. I've had my Speed Four for coming upto two and a half years now and i fancy a change. Its an excellent bike, it does everytthing i want it to but im tempted to sell it and try something different - its just difficult to know what to go for, and there is the worry that whatever i get next wont prove to be as good the Triumph...
So far my possible 'next bike' list is a bit varied - Ducati Monster, 750ss, ST2 or Multistrada. Or a Buell.... Thinking
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel somewhat the same.

My issue is that I want to keep my bike perfect. But with a 10 year old bik, time is working against me, and the amount of money it is costing to keep it looking immaculate is a bit of a bitch sometimes.

Best solution would be to just buy a brand new bike, but without having a great wad of cash, or a garage to store it and keep it nice, there seems little chance of that happening. Sad
____________________
'06 Honda CBR125RW-6 ~ '00 Honda CBR600F-Y ~ '07 Honda CBR600RR-7 ~ Bikeless Sad
'53 Ford Ka 1.3 ~ '03 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 ~ '52 Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.2 ~ '53 Vauxhall Astra GSi
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Stuck in a rut Reply with quote

Swim41 wrote:
I've had my Diversion 600 for three years now. In that time it's served me well: it's taken me to work everyday, done a couple of modest European tours, lapped the Nurburgring, attended various rallies and cost me relatively little in time and money to keep running.
Anyone else ever felt like this?


Well i had mine for 2 years and like you it served me well and at little cost.
But time moved on and it came to the point in its life where it needs a lot of TLC (read money) to get it through the MOT.
I was looking at simply upgrading to a new D6, but something was nagging at the back of my mind. That a change is as good as a rest. Even the owners club has more ex riders than current riders....

So i after a look around I decided to take the plunge and risk a change.
Decided on a Versys.
Now i loved the D6, but the V is a diffrent beast that does exactly the same job, but in a totally diffrent way.
Same ability to kit out with storage for touring and same great commuting.
But it just seems to have more life to it and is much more of a bike to ride.

Don't get me wrong i still love the D which is sat in the garage waiting to be fixed up, and after 2 months of sitting unused. It still fired up 1st punch of the starter and purred away. But boy doies it feel small compared to the Versys.

TBH, don't just change because you have to. At the end of the day if it does what you need in a way you like then stick with it. You are the one who has to live with the decision Karma
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti2009
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 19 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:38 - 22 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand completely and I am in the same boat. I've had my GS500 now for 5 years, it was my first project bike and has given me wonderful service. It's getting to the stage where it needs 500 quid or so a year just to pass the MOT, so it is soon to be replaced with a newer bike.

I've looked at several bikes, and despite being better overall packages (faster, smoother, better handling and better brakes), it feels like there is something missing.
____________________
Dotti is back!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodgydog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 22 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way, can't see me swapping the speed triple anytime soon, or anytime ever!
I just enjoy getting out and it does everything it has to do.

dog
____________________
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not exactly what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 22 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Stuck in a rut Reply with quote

[quote="Swim41"

Anyone else ever felt like this?[/quote]

Yep.

My bike's now 15 years old and I've owned it for 13 of those.

For me it does what I want and I can't see anything on the market to make me want to part with a wadge of cash to replace it.

A couple of years ago a Benelli Tre did catch my eye as a possible sunny weather toy but camchain horror stories put me off.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.54 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.49 Kb