|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Swim41 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Swim41 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 25 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:23 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: Stuck in a rut |
 |
|
I've had my Diversion 600 for three years now. In that time it's served me well: it's taken me to work everyday, done a couple of modest European tours, lapped the Nurburgring, attended various rallies and cost me relatively little in time and money to keep running.
I haven't got any sentimental feelings for the bike, as you'll know it's a basic, underpowered UJM. I really should sell it and buy something more exciting... but... I've had a long ride on a few fairly varied bikes recently (borrowed off mates) and not been particularly enthusiastic about any of them. F800GS - meh, TDM 900 - OK. Had a 30 mile blast on a 58 plate R6 last weekend and wasn't overawed by that either, although it is a beautifully put together piece of kit and the acceleration is pant-wetting as I'm used to a wheezy plodder.
I reckon I like riding the bike and bike camping and rallying and fettling more than I actually like the bikes themselves. The way I feel at the moment, if I sold it and bought something else I'd just be doing it for the sake of it. So many riders though change their bikes as often as their socks, or so it seems!
Hopefully it's just a phase... or should I be taking a long, hard look at myself?
Anyone else ever felt like this? ____________________ Yamaha XJ600N |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| snomag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 snomag Trackday Trickster

Joined: 12 Nov 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:32 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Biking is about having fun and enjoying the ride.
Since you're doing it, I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with you. Although I haven't been riding for too long I've already seen quite a lot of people who buy new bikes just because it's considered cool in other's eyes. Some enjoy that in biking I guess, some others enjoy the ride itself . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazz World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 May 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NickD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NickD World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:50 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
There's nowt wrong with you, quit yer whinging!
Different strokes for different folks I guess, but you can have good and bad rides on anything, whether it's ideal or totally unsuited to the task..... the bike is almost incidental, it almost doesn't matter.
When we return from Holland this Easter the Blackbird's going on the market 'cos I need some quick cash, and I'll be left only my dull old CB750.... But we'll still be off to all the rallys and festivals we've got booked, will still be doing the Round Britain Rally stuff that we do and we'll still just bugger off out on the bikes when the mood takes us. Some rides will be a laugh, some will be shit.... Some days I'll just not be up for it, and some days I'll just want to ride and never stop, it will still all be an adventure. We'll still be excited on the way to parties, and hungover on the way back, just like always, for as long as I can remember..... The bike has changed over the years, but most other things are pretty much the same.
There are those to whom it's all about the biggest, fastest, coolest or whatever, and whether that's down to an appreciation of awesome engineering, ego, low self-esteem doesn't matter much. People get different things out of stuff, and it's all good. ____________________ I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| doggone |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 doggone World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:52 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Howling TerrorOutOfOffice |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Howling TerrorOutOfOffice Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:53 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sport tourer...thats what your post is telling me.
Ducati ST2...Simple to service. Grunt. Practical and not bad looking.
Triumph Sprint ST..More sports than tour. Grunt. Agile for a thou. Again lookin' nice.
Muse on those babies.
Pat ____________________ Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| swiftb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 swiftb World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Oct 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:57 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ive had my bike around a year and a half now and cant see me considering changing it in the next year. It does everything I want it to, granted, it could do certain things a little better but not enough for me to want to change it. Theres no way I could get anything better for the money anyway so every time I think of changing it I soon decide against it when I realise how much more money Id have to plough in.
Id consider changing it in maybe a year but only for something drastically newer/better. (nice k7/8 gsxr750 maybe )
However my bike does have sentimental value too and I often think when it comes to the crunch, rather than replace it I may get another bike to 'compliment' it instead. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Swim41 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Swim41 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 25 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| neatbik |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 neatbik World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:11 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
You arent alone mate. I've had my Speed Four for coming upto two and a half years now and i fancy a change. Its an excellent bike, it does everytthing i want it to but im tempted to sell it and try something different - its just difficult to know what to go for, and there is the worry that whatever i get next wont prove to be as good the Triumph...
So far my possible 'next bike' list is a bit varied - Ducati Monster, 750ss, ST2 or Multistrada. Or a Buell....  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Noxious89123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Noxious89123 World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jun 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:23 - 21 Mar 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I feel somewhat the same.
My issue is that I want to keep my bike perfect. But with a 10 year old bik, time is working against me, and the amount of money it is costing to keep it looking immaculate is a bit of a bitch sometimes.
Best solution would be to just buy a brand new bike, but without having a great wad of cash, or a garage to store it and keep it nice, there seems little chance of that happening.  ____________________
'06 Honda CBR125RW-6 ~ '00 Honda CBR600F-Y ~ '07 Honda CBR600RR-7 ~ Bikeless
'53 Ford Ka 1.3 ~ '03 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 ~ '52 Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.2 ~ '53 Vauxhall Astra GSi |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dotti2009 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dotti2009 Derestricted Danger

Joined: 19 Mar 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dodgydog |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dodgydog World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Sep 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Blau Zedong |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Blau Zedong Banned

Joined: 26 Jun 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| panrider_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 panrider_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|