Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Frustrated...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Frustrated... Reply with quote

Got a new bike a week ago, nice little ER6n. But I can't ride it, cos the DVLA haven't got round to sending the V5 through yet.

On top of that, I can't get rid of my old ER5. No-one seems to want her. So in the meantime, I am still riding her to work, cramming 2 bikes into one parking space, and every day I have to look my new bike in the eyes and not get on... Sad

At this rate, I'll be calling webuyanybike.com just to get the old one out of my sight. I think I'd rather get the tube... almost. I know I should have waited to get the new one before selling the old one, but I couldn't pass up the bargain! Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you waiting for the V5?


I've never ever ever waited for the V5... Neutral

Tax? Do it online...
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't tax online unless the vehicle is in the right name as the tax will go to the wrong place.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the v5 to ride it.

If you have the new keepers slip it helps but if you did get pulled, they can't do you for anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tax it if you take the new keepers slip (might need some other stuff as well, can't remember) to the post office, that's what I did when the DVLA took ages to send the V5 through.

You can ride without the V5. Get on it, enjoy this nice weather. Very Happy Cool
____________________
MKGaming.com
2000 Honda CBR600F - Sold! 2003 Honda CBR600RR - Current!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really want to risk it... At the moment, this bike is proving more trouble than it was worth - wasn't even able to transfer my one year's no claims over for the insurance.

I don't think I'm very good at this bike buying lark. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonkeyKnuckle wrote:
You can tax it if you take the new keepers slip (might need some other stuff as well, can't remember) to the post office, that's what I did when the DVLA took ages to send the V5 through.

You can ride without the V5. Get on it, enjoy this nice weather. Very Happy Cool

O rly?

Hmmmmmmmm....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle wrote:
MonkeyKnuckle wrote:
You can tax it if you take the new keepers slip (might need some other stuff as well, can't remember) to the post office, that's what I did when the DVLA took ages to send the V5 through.

You can ride without the V5. Get on it, enjoy this nice weather. Very Happy Cool

O rly?

Hmmmmmmmm....



Just read you need your insurance certificate, MOT certificate and the slip you got from the old V5 plus £45 or whatever it will be to tax yours.


They might ask you to fill out a form but they didn't when I did it last November.
____________________
MKGaming.com
2000 Honda CBR600F - Sold! 2003 Honda CBR600RR - Current!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonkeyKnuckle wrote:
Just read you need your insurance certificate, MOT certificate and the slip you got from the old V5 plus £45 or whatever it will be to tax yours.

Wouldn't need MOT, cos it's under 3 years old. Would they take an insurance e-certificate (cos they haven't been mailed to me either)?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle wrote:
MonkeyKnuckle wrote:
Just read you need your insurance certificate, MOT certificate and the slip you got from the old V5 plus £45 or whatever it will be to tax yours.

Wouldn't need MOT, cos it's under 3 years old. Would they take an insurance e-certificate (cos they haven't been mailed to me either)?


Not 100% sure but it wouldn't hurt to try... Worst they can say is no...
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MonkeyKnuckle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd take all the documents I had (plus print anything you think you may need - such as the insurance details) and give it a go.

Like m0l0t0v said, the worse they can say is no.


Actually, if I remember correctly, my bike is an 06 plate so I don't think the woman even looked at my MOT certificate, even though I had one.
____________________
MKGaming.com
2000 Honda CBR600F - Sold! 2003 Honda CBR600RR - Current!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then - I'm off to the PO on Monday where I will lose 2 hours of my life in the queue, but I may also walk away with my tax disc!

Thanks chaps. Very Happy

Now to solve the problem of the ER5...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle wrote:
MonkeyKnuckle wrote:
Just read you need your insurance certificate, MOT certificate and the slip you got from the old V5 plus £45 or whatever it will be to tax yours.

Wouldn't need MOT, cos it's under 3 years old. Would they take an insurance e-certificate (cos they haven't been mailed to me either)?


might moan about it, ut i had no hassle with swiftcover and they don't send out a printed cert only pdf's.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a printout of my insurance certificate from the PDF file they sent me and never had a problem - no questions asked. The V5C slip will also be fine for tax. DO IT!!!!! Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located and can you give me some detail on the ER5 your selling, pictures would help. I have a mate at work who is looking for one at the right price.
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my current bike with no road tax, I rode it to the Post Office and handed over the new registered keeper slip and a copy of my insurance document and they taxed it for me there and then.

It can be done!
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
I bought my current bike with no road tax, I rode it to the Post Office and handed over the new registered keeper slip and a copy of my insurance document and they taxed it for me there and then.

It can be done!


Shouldn't have rode it there, but hey.
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealership told me that as long as the purpose of my journey was to tax the bike then I was fine to ride. If I was pulled over they would explain to the police that I had literally just ridden out.
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A5tra_G wrote:
Where are you located and can you give me some detail on the ER5 your selling, pictures would help. I have a mate at work who is looking for one at the right price.

https://bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=2459538&highlight=#2459538

On Auto Trader at the moment with more photos, price very negotiable. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of post offices are open on Saturday mornings you know? Smile

I would print off the certificate but not tell them it's this as some get a bit arsey with it.

No tax on bikes doesn't seem to be a big thing around here, though I do try and keep mine in tax regardless.[/u]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main Post Offices are open all day Sat.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hornetmike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 09 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much for ER5 ? Details
____________________
87 Honda CG 125 - 97 ER5 - SR 50 -81 Z250- 96 CBR 600 F- 94 GPX600R 88- GPX 400R- 87 GS 125 - 2006 Honda CB600F- 2003 ER5 - Honda CBF 1000 2009 - Honda CBR 600 RR 2011
Current BMW R1200GS 2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 10 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main post office near me wouldn't accept a printed insurance certificate but I went to a local village one and they barely looked at the documents so I got my tax.

There is no risk. So long as you have a license, tax, mot and insurance you are legal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 10 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, there is no risk if you have a licence, tax, mot and insurance.


But he's missing the tax bit Laughing
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickle
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 09 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 11 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

miketovey wrote:
How much for ER5 ? Details

See thread above. Price negotiable. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 4.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.93 Kb