Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Ride report - Green laning 9th May 2010

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Ride report - Green laning 9th May 2010 Reply with quote

Mr Sparks! and I did a spot of laning today, it has been a few weeks since my last ride, so I was keen to get out again!!

Sparks! hadn't been out for what must be a coupla months now, so I bet he was even more keen.

Anyway, on the ride we got discussing Four Marks track ... I said it was rubbish when I went, he said that G had gone the day before and it was much improved.

We intended to pass Four Marks on our travels anyway, so the plan was to go in and have a play.

We wanted to go for a spot of lunch in Four Marks village, so decided to 'case out' the track and then have a spot of lunch returning after.

The chap there let us have a lap just to see what it was like (which was good of him) ... anyway ... we went round the track and off out back to the enduro part ... and er ... I got rather stuck ... Sparks! saw me stuck and decided to run through himself to give me the 400 4T fingers ... he then proceeded to get just as stuck as I was!! Laughing

After a while it was clear that we were NOT getting out without help!! Confused

My bike would no longer kick over ... I thought I had ingested some of the slurry where I/the bike fell over trying to drag the thing out!!! Shocked

I can tell you are getting bored of reading my waffle Very Happy ... so we DID get out with the aid of a 4x4 and some rope!! ... thanks mr 4x4!! Thumbs Up Oh and after stripping my bike down I got it going again (hadn't actually ingested slurry all the way in {phew}).

At that point we decided to just go have lunch (must have been 1.5hrs trying to get the bikes out) and then return home ... with the view to come back another day.

The ride home went without drama ... well .... I had just loaded up my van and set off; I got a text from Sparks! saying his oil pipe had come off and he had broken down!! Crying or Very sad

I 'recovered' him, but I am not sure the WRs cams and big end are going to like having been run dry Sad

I am sure Sparks! will inform further on that point ... here are some pics of us stuck in the mud!! Cool
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.


Last edited by Blue_SV650S on 20:08 - 09 May 2010; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woll
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like good fun Very Happy i want to get into green laning but i cant find any local not even on that trailwise website Sad
____________________
Current Bike- Suzuki DRZ400 SM K6
Previous bikes - Derbi Senda Xtreme50r, Honda CBR 125, Kawasaki ZZR 250, Yamaha DT125R, Suzuki Bandit 600, Gas gas ec 250, Honda CBR600FW
Damaged spleen, damaged kindey, 2 popped lungs, 2 broken ribs, broken face, broken wrist and 5 back fractures... remember kids walls hurt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

woll wrote:
looks like good fun Very Happy i want to get into green laning but i cant find any local not even on that trailwise website Sad


Cheshire must be littered with them surely ... things like this are normally in abundance opp-norf aren't they?!!?!? Confused
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woll
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not round these here parts lol theres 1 slightly resembling a greenlane but some cunt has put a huge metal barrier up (its a proper road) just before it gets to cobbles and mud only way round is up a very steep bank through some woods then down the other side, but then it only turns into a proper road a few hundred meter down. And a little one a few hundred meters long down the road from me. There the only two i know of Sad if anybody fancies enlightening me please do Thumbs Up
____________________
Current Bike- Suzuki DRZ400 SM K6
Previous bikes - Derbi Senda Xtreme50r, Honda CBR 125, Kawasaki ZZR 250, Yamaha DT125R, Suzuki Bandit 600, Gas gas ec 250, Honda CBR600FW
Damaged spleen, damaged kindey, 2 popped lungs, 2 broken ribs, broken face, broken wrist and 5 back fractures... remember kids walls hurt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they allowed to put a barrier up if its a public road? Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
Are they allowed to put a barrier up if its a public road? Confused


It's probably been TRO'd.

So was Fourmarks good?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woll
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe that's the thing there are no signs at the bottom of the hill on either sides to say no access i don't quite know why they've done it, could be something to do with the loggers up there maybe
____________________
Current Bike- Suzuki DRZ400 SM K6
Previous bikes - Derbi Senda Xtreme50r, Honda CBR 125, Kawasaki ZZR 250, Yamaha DT125R, Suzuki Bandit 600, Gas gas ec 250, Honda CBR600FW
Damaged spleen, damaged kindey, 2 popped lungs, 2 broken ribs, broken face, broken wrist and 5 back fractures... remember kids walls hurt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
beatnck2 wrote:
Are they allowed to put a barrier up if its a public road? Confused


It's probably been TRO'd.

So was Fourmarks good?


TRO'd...?

(Sorry, this green laning lark is still new to me)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

So was Fourmarks good?


Where we were stuck in the mud almost from the off, we didn't really get much of a look ... Very Happy

I'd say it was worth a day out, but I couldn't see myself going there time and time again.


woll - Your local council should be able to put you straight on access to that lane. See if they have a decent website (the Hampshire one is quite good), if not, find the name of the lane from a map and then phone them up, they should be able to tell you its status over the phone.

beatnck2 - "Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO's) are used to close a Byway for repairs or alterations or to permanently prohibit vehicular traffic. You must follow the instructions displayed on the notices at the end of the affected section."
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think four marks is worth a play for general improving fast dirt skills - go out and play at 'easy' jumps and berms without worrying too much about nasty fast people landing on you or having to stay out all the time because your group is only out for 15 minutes at a time.

Rest of it is ok to ride around but not amazing - basically gingers, but better Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Re: Ride report - Green laning 9th May 2010 Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:

a spot of lunch in Four Marks village

so we DID get out with the aid of a 4x4 and some rope!! ... thanks mr 4x4!! Thumbs Up

Having to be rescued by a 4x4 ? AND a 'spot of lunch' ! Rolling Eyes
all a bit https://eydis.fantasy-hr.com/style_emoticons/light/gay.gif Wink
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I think four marks is worth a play for general improving fast dirt skills - go out and play at 'easy' jumps and berms without worrying too much about nasty fast people landing on you or having to stay out all the time because your group is only out for 15 minutes at a time.

Rest of it is ok to ride around but not amazing - basically gingers, but better Smile.


As per G, I really enjoyed the half a lap I managed before getting ridiculously stuck in the woods. Wish I had my XR as that would have ridden through anything! The jumps were good enough to get some decent air, but not overwhelming for a n00b who's not done much jumping before. I'll definetly be going back in the van sometime.

However....

The lower oil line on my WR came off at some point on the way home, I lost all my oil and didn't notice until the whirring of fucked bearings became louder than the exhaust Sad It got so loud I thought I had a flat tyre, so pulled over and checked tyres but they were fine, tried to pull away and it stalled.... re-started, tried to pull away again and it stalled.. so I got off for another look then saw that the oil line was hanging off and the bike was bone dry with no oil in Crying or Very sad

I've spoken to my mate who I bought the bike off (it's not his fault btw, just an unfortunate thing) he's told me that its highly likely damage is done and not to try topping up with oil and starting.. gotta take the engine out and take it down to him. He said it could be anything from £250 if lucky to £600+ ... he said in all seriousness looking around the £600 mark.

Happy days Rolling Eyes

On the plus side, I loooooove jumping, so much fun and the WR flies really well. And I've been out on the Africa Twin this evening and that runs and rides sooo well now, just the front discs to sort out which should be here Tuesday Thumbs Up

I'm off to continue sulking now Laughing
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:

I've spoken to my mate who I bought the bike off (it's not his fault btw, just an unfortunate thing) he's told me that its highly likely damage is done and not to try topping up with oil and starting..


He is probably right to say it is highly likely damage is done, but I am not sure why topping up with oil and giving it a go is a 'not to try'. Thinking

Agreed, if it rattles when it starts with new oil in, then don't continue to run it as it will only make things worse, but if it starts and you have been lucky enough to catch it early, then you might 'get away with it' ... to be honest, it has to be worth £3 of Tesco oil and a quick start to find out!?!? People have got away with it before you know and yours didn't actually 'pinch up'!! Confused

Or am I missing something here?!?! Embarassed


p.s. I was/am gutted for you!! Sad
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
Sparks! wrote:

I've spoken to my mate who I bought the bike off (it's not his fault btw, just an unfortunate thing) he's told me that its highly likely damage is done and not to try topping up with oil and starting..


He is probably right to say it is highly likely damage is done, but I am not sure why topping up with oil and giving it a go is a 'not to try'.

Agreed, if it rattles when it starts with new oil in, then don't continue to run it as it will only make things worse, but if it starts and you have been lucky enough to catch it early, then you might 'get away with it' ... to be honest, it has to be worth £3 of Tesco oil and a quick start to find out!?!? People have got away with it before you know and yours didn't actually 'pinch up'!! Confused

Or am I missing something here?!?! Embarassed


I'm just worried I'll do more damage to it. It sounded /really/ bad when I pulled over, never heard anything like it Confused was a weird noise like grinding bearings but really loud and high pitch.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
woll wrote:
looks like good fun Very Happy i want to get into green laning but i cant find any local not even on that trailwise website Sad


Cheshire must be littered with them surely ... things like this are normally in abundance opp-norf aren't they?!!?!? Confused


There's sod all up here. It's crap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:

I'm just worried I'll do more damage to it. It sounded /really/ bad when I pulled over, never heard anything like it Confused was a weird noise like grinding bearings but really loud and high pitch.


I can't see filling with oil and trying to start is going to drastically make things any worse ... clearly if it does start but sounds like a bag of old spanners, then stop it ASAP and get it out.

It is bound to sound horrid with NO oil in ... you might find with some in, then it is quiet again ...

As I said today, even if it does run ok, then I'd be wary for a few miles just in case something transpires ...

At the end of the day it is your bike, but if it was mine, I'd stick some Tesco oil in it and just see ... if nothing else it will give you a measure of how nasty it is if it is still making bad noises with the oil in ...
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 09 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:


There's sod all up here. It's crap.


https://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/cheshirecc.interactivemapping.web.internet/Default.aspx?e=363000&n=363000&mpp=160&layers=BOU.PLA.PLO.CW&hLayer=&hField=&hValue=

Expand 'Public Rights of Way' and check 'Byways Open to all Traffic' tickbox ....


Great little website they have made there ... but I think you are right, not a lot about ...

Rights of way breakdown for Cheshire ...
Footpaths 9423
Bridleways 513
Restricted Byways 374
Byways Open to all Traffic 84
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 10 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/er.jpg

Jeezus H Christ Shocked
Now that is deep mud.
I didnt see these images when I posted the https://eydis.fantasy-hr.com/style_emoticons/light/gay.gif comment.
I now take it back for the lunch ridicule ... as I expect you needed a break after that.


But NOT for the 4x4 dragging you out ... you lesbians. ( I would rather leave my bike than call on the 4x4 oinks for help) Rolling Eyes

Bad luck with the bike Sparks.
Hope it is a cheap repair. Praying
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 10 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

silky666 wrote:

Jeezus H Christ Shocked
Now that is deep mud.
I didnt see these images when I posted the https://eydis.fantasy-hr.com/style_emoticons/light/gay.gif comment.
I now take it back for the lunch ridicule ... as I expect you needed a break after that.


But NOT for the 4x4 dragging you out ... you lesbians. ( I would rather leave my bike than call on the 4x4 oinks for help) Rolling Eyes

Bad luck with the bike Sparks.
Hope it is a cheap repair. Praying


After having done a few hours riding/laining, we were already due lunch BEFORE Four Marks and mud stuck-ed-ness (only intended to case it out, not spend any time there prior to lunch) ... as I said, there must have been 1.5hs odd of attempted hauling/dragging wading/moving in really thick claggy mud and then refusing to start kick starting before we got going again ... so we were well overdue lunch at that point! Razz

To say the least, we were glad the 4x4 boys helped!! The first 4x4 that tried to haul us out, didn't have lockable diff, so was a total fail!! https://www.gixxer.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

I have to say though at that point I wondered if we were going to get out at all!! Shocked

Thankfully we had attracted quite a crowd (of hecklers) by now and one went off to get a 4x4 that had lockable diff and he got us out no-worries!!! Cool
____________________
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.43 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 117.44 Kb