Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Wheel bearings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

JacPowell
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Wheel bearings Reply with quote

Anybody got any tips on how to remove wheel bearings ? Dont want too be paying through the roof for a tool thats going to be used twice in its life,
Thanks,
Jac
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of drift. I use a old weight bar that i cut up. Seen hammer handles, brooms etc. Just to knock it out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings Reply with quote

JacPowell wrote:
Anybody got any tips on how to remove wheel bearings ? Dont want too be paying through the roof for a tool thats going to be used twice in its life,
Thanks,
Jac


Blind bearing puller does well, and I find that when I buy a tool I use it more than I ever thought I would because I know I've got it.

Another alternative is to use a screwdriver poked through the wheel onto the edge of the bearing but it is very easy to damage the wheel that way.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JacPowell
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for replies just had a look at the blind bearing pullers and there not too expensive actually.

You know your probably right actually no doubt if i did get one someone would want too borrow it next week so i might aswell.

All the Best,
Jac
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:04 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:


Blind bearing puller does well, and I find that when I buy a tool I use it more than I ever thought I would because I know I've got it.


That is very true, every time I buy a tool and think I wont use it much I find a thousand things it helps with. Best example has been my dremel, one of my best buys so far and I only bought it to make a neat cut on a bike fender.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ''proper tools''
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:48 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just use the rear wheel spindle for the rear wheel bearings. The sleeve in the middle of the wheel can be knocked aside then just get the end of the spindle flat on the bearing and give it quick taps with a hammer. Front wheel you can use anything strong and flat lying around as the wheel centre is so narrow, a 1/2" socket extender bar is good.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hondapartsman
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:09 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a piece of rod, never had a problem, just make sure there's no bearing retainer. Not many bikes use those but I've know of people not look and bang away for ages, it there is a bearing retainer then getting that out without breaking it is a whole other issue.
____________________
In the end all comes back to the beginning
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:14 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a nice length of metal rod with a nice edge to it. Heat the hub as well to help them drop out and freeze the new bearings before putting them in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:41 - 15 May 2010    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearings Reply with quote

I have a blind bearing puller but don't use it most of the time.

An appropriate drift, ideally with a slight lip. Once you've got it to move slightly, you can usually get the middle spacer tube to move over enough that it doesn't take long for the rest.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.2 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 64.24 Kb