|
|
| Author |
Message |
| marmite |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 marmite L Plate Warrior
Joined: 23 May 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 03:11 - 23 May 2010 Post subject: RM250 on the street |
 |
|
Hi All,I am new here so please be gentle. I have 15+ years of riding street bikes and have owned the following ( GS500, tzr125, RGV250 and current bike NC30 ), I have had the hankering to get myself a second fun bike and fancy a off road style bike but to be honest all my riding will be on the back roads of ESSEX. I want the 2 stroke buzz but without all the hassles of a sports 2 stroke ( rgv dropped valves, rs 250 raced and thrashed ).
I have my eye on a road registered RM250 enduro but have read the forums and have not seen anyone review these for street riding. Are they just not practical for the street, being based on a motor cross ???
https://londonbikers.com/news/4056/suzuki-rm250-paul-edmondson-replica
Anyone else ride a RM250 or RMX250 on the street ???
I thought the top speed was about 70mph and they could tick along at 60. Or are they just too snappy for street riding.
If not my only options are probably a CRM, but then I am worried about picking up a 10 year old dog.
Still getting my head around the differences between a motorcross and enduro motorcycle. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SamJL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SamJL Nearly there...

Joined: 14 Aug 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:27 - 02 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry to go off topic, but I have a question for you G.
I also have a KTM 200 (the SX version, don't know if its any different) and its got no "2 stroke buzz" so to speak of. Its got a very linear power delivery, just feels to get gradually faster, instead of having the usual 2 stroke kick, is this something to do with the way its been set up? Don't get me wrong, its still very quick, and its awesome off road, but it rides more like a 4 stroke then your average 2 stroke! ____________________ 2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:47 - 02 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wanna swap, then?
I’ve had mine wheelie me in to undergrowth a couple of times as it’s come into the powerband when I’m tired and the wheelie has forced my hand around more.
There’s plenty of mods you can do to make them have a much more linear power delivery – heavier flywheel/clutch, different throttle tube profile, FMF gnarly exhaust (apparantly this makes a big difference to calming it down, but loses a little at the top), possibly different power valve springs and a few other bits. Generally I’d expect the SX (motocross) version to have more ‘zing’, but they are very similar bikes and can be easily modified.
For enduros the ‘4 stroke’ style power delivery is generally considered preferable – the 300s tend to have a much flatter power delivery than any of the big 4 stroke singles! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SamJL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SamJL Nearly there...

Joined: 14 Aug 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:56 - 02 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I actually want to make it road legal, I love it to bits
Its got an FMF Powercore full exhaust on it, but apart from that, I'm not sure on any other mods! I actually like the power delivery, it makes it very easy to ride, and it has a lot of low down power as well, which helps when I'm on a track and I come out of a corner in the wrong gear. Maybe its had something done with the powervalve to make it have more low end power, but its very linear. Saying that, I do use the clutch alot coming out corners, probably why I go through them so quickly! Iv'e done a couple of enduro's, and the bike does seem pretty easy to ride, I seem to get tired to quickly and fall off loads though, more of a track man my self! ____________________ 2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SamJL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SamJL Nearly there...

Joined: 14 Aug 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:30 - 02 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
How much did you pay for the SM wheels if you don't mind me asking? And did you have to get a certificate to prove the age? Also, what sprocket sizes are you going to use on the roads? Its something I'm really interested in doing, would be good for me to get to work on, and I can imagine it being great fun on the roads! ____________________ 2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SamJL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SamJL Nearly there...

Joined: 14 Aug 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:45 - 02 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Im in Manchester, not sure where you are?
I didn't know Hussy wheels fitted, that gives me a much wider scope to get wheels. Do you know what other wheels fit? I'm going to have to get the certificate of age, but I think I'm just going to go for a daytime MOT, so no need for lights, so that will save me some time and money! Iv'e got a small rear sprocket that came on the bike somewhere, and ill probably go up a tooth on the front, but I'm not really to interested in a good top speed, just want a bit of fun! ____________________ 2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SamJL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SamJL Nearly there...

Joined: 14 Aug 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:57 - 02 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the info, its very helpful, I'm going to start getting all done over the next few weeks, so hopefully it will all be road legal by mid July
I now know what SM wheels to look for as well, Ill probably get some road legal MX tyres for a bit of green laning aswell  ____________________ 2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:13 - 02 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Becareful of the year as I say - 02 and before used a 20mm front spindle, 03 and later used a 26mm front spindle.
Further, need to be slightly careful with the rears.
My cush-drive'd Hussy SM wheels should fit in to the 200 straight in with the standard cush drive.
My older LC4 enduro wheel with cush drive also fits straight in.
To fit either to my (LC4) 690, I have to use the sprocket mount and spacers from the 690, which are for a wider axle, also a brake disc spacer and an extra spacer on the axle - but I just made one with washers to start with.
The non-cush-drive'd 200 wheel won't fit into the 690 and the 690 wheel is too wide for the 200.
Erm, hope that helps . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| boundy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 boundy Nearly there...

Joined: 24 Jan 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SamJL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SamJL Nearly there...

Joined: 14 Aug 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:42 - 03 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the info G, ill research it before I get the wheels and make sure they actually fit!
Boundy: How much do you want for those wheels? ____________________ 2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|