Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


RM250 on the street

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

marmite
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:11 - 23 May 2010    Post subject: RM250 on the street Reply with quote

Hi All,I am new here so please be gentle. I have 15+ years of riding street bikes and have owned the following ( GS500, tzr125, RGV250 and current bike NC30 ), I have had the hankering to get myself a second fun bike and fancy a off road style bike but to be honest all my riding will be on the back roads of ESSEX. I want the 2 stroke buzz but without all the hassles of a sports 2 stroke ( rgv dropped valves, rs 250 raced and thrashed ).

I have my eye on a road registered RM250 enduro but have read the forums and have not seen anyone review these for street riding. Are they just not practical for the street, being based on a motor cross ???

https://londonbikers.com/news/4056/suzuki-rm250-paul-edmondson-replica

Anyone else ride a RM250 or RMX250 on the street ???

I thought the top speed was about 70mph and they could tick along at 60. Or are they just too snappy for street riding.

If not my only options are probably a CRM, but then I am worried about picking up a 10 year old dog.

Still getting my head around the differences between a motorcross and enduro motorcycle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 01 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

An RM250 would do over 100mph easily with the right gearing. The std gearing probably limits it to 65-70mph maximum however.

IMO the biggest problem will be the noise which unless you improve the silencing, a 250cc or any cc for that matter MX bike is too loud to be acceptable and not offensive, especially in the countryside where there are walker's horse riders etc etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:00 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: RM250 on the street Reply with quote

I haven't ridden a more moddern RMX, but have ridden an older one and other modern enduro bikes (KTMs/Gas Gas's). I suggest you get a test ride first, if it's the '2 stroke buzz' you're after - my 200 (basically a big bore 125) has it as it's based on an engine searching for peak power.
The bigger bikes are designed for range of torque rather than that revvy 'top end' feeling - the 98 or so RMX250 I rode is probably the bike I've ridden with the flatest power delivery, perhaps equalled by a VTTX1300 (though the former certainly sounded nicer and was much more fun to ride!)

Personally, I'd suggest you go KTM or Gas Gas if it's for raod riding - that way you can easily swap on supermoto wheels.
Then I'd suggest you at least get some test rides on the 250s/300s and a 125/200 - you may well find the smaller bikes have a lot more of that buzz you want.

Remember you are still buying a competition bike; they are less fragile than the competition 4 strokes, but don't expect them to be a cb500!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to go off topic, but I have a question for you G.

I also have a KTM 200 (the SX version, don't know if its any different) and its got no "2 stroke buzz" so to speak of. Its got a very linear power delivery, just feels to get gradually faster, instead of having the usual 2 stroke kick, is this something to do with the way its been set up? Don't get me wrong, its still very quick, and its awesome off road, but it rides more like a 4 stroke then your average 2 stroke!
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna swap, then? Razz
I’ve had mine wheelie me in to undergrowth a couple of times as it’s come into the powerband when I’m tired and the wheelie has forced my hand around more.

There’s plenty of mods you can do to make them have a much more linear power delivery – heavier flywheel/clutch, different throttle tube profile, FMF gnarly exhaust (apparantly this makes a big difference to calming it down, but loses a little at the top), possibly different power valve springs and a few other bits. Generally I’d expect the SX (motocross) version to have more ‘zing’, but they are very similar bikes and can be easily modified.

For enduros the ‘4 stroke’ style power delivery is generally considered preferable – the 300s tend to have a much flatter power delivery than any of the big 4 stroke singles!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually want to make it road legal, I love it to bits Very Happy

Its got an FMF Powercore full exhaust on it, but apart from that, I'm not sure on any other mods! I actually like the power delivery, it makes it very easy to ride, and it has a lot of low down power as well, which helps when I'm on a track and I come out of a corner in the wrong gear. Maybe its had something done with the powervalve to make it have more low end power, but its very linear. Saying that, I do use the clutch alot coming out corners, probably why I go through them so quickly! Iv'e done a couple of enduro's, and the bike does seem pretty easy to ride, I seem to get tired to quickly and fall off loads though, more of a track man my self!
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will ‘tractor’ up hills in the lower gears, but there’s a noticable difference as you get into the power band.

I’ve got SM wheels that should fit it sitting around, just need to sort out general road registration stuff.
Wouldn’t mind doing a supermoto race some time too – at least try a few SM trackdays.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you pay for the SM wheels if you don't mind me asking? And did you have to get a certificate to prove the age? Also, what sprocket sizes are you going to use on the roads? Its something I'm really interested in doing, would be good for me to get to work on, and I can imagine it being great fun on the roads!
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto wheels came with my Hussy – they are actually the slightly older type (pre 03), but I have the correct spacers to use the front in newer bikes – have had them on my 690.
I go the certificate of age with the bike.

Not sure where you are, but you’re welcome to borrow my wheels some time if you want to try it out sometime – won’t be sorting mine for a couple of months I suspect and I’ve got plenty of other bikes to be playing with too!

I think I’ve got a 39 tooth rear sprocket that came with the Hussy wheel, but forget what – I’ve got a few other similar sprockets around.
On the CCM I just kept the same sprocket – but of course that means shorter gearing for the SM, when you probably want the opposite.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in Manchester, not sure where you are?

I didn't know Hussy wheels fitted, that gives me a much wider scope to get wheels. Do you know what other wheels fit? I'm going to have to get the certificate of age, but I think I'm just going to go for a daytime MOT, so no need for lights, so that will save me some time and money! Iv'e got a small rear sprocket that came on the bike somewhere, and ill probably go up a tooth on the front, but I'm not really to interested in a good top speed, just want a bit of fun!
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Reading, bit of a way.

Note Hussy = Husaberg who are owned by KTM (not Husky).
The CCM front wheel from my 404 will fit with a wider spacer, but the rear use a different size spindle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, its very helpful, I'm going to start getting all done over the next few weeks, so hopefully it will all be road legal by mid July Very Happy

I now know what SM wheels to look for as well, Ill probably get some road legal MX tyres for a bit of green laning aswell Thumbs Up
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becareful of the year as I say - 02 and before used a 20mm front spindle, 03 and later used a 26mm front spindle.

Further, need to be slightly careful with the rears.
My cush-drive'd Hussy SM wheels should fit in to the 200 straight in with the standard cush drive.
My older LC4 enduro wheel with cush drive also fits straight in.
To fit either to my (LC4) 690, I have to use the sprocket mount and spacers from the 690, which are for a wider axle, also a brake disc spacer and an extra spacer on the axle - but I just made one with washers to start with.
The non-cush-drive'd 200 wheel won't fit into the 690 and the 690 wheel is too wide for the 200.

Erm, hope that helps Shocked.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

boundy
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a set of vor SM wheels sat here if your interested? I'll be tring them on a 250 exc to confirm they fit a KTM, they should do according to thumper talk. They are made by BEHR, which I think are standard KTM rims on there SM bikes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SamJL
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 03 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info G, ill research it before I get the wheels and make sure they actually fit!

Boundy: How much do you want for those wheels?
____________________
2009 CBR1000RR
2004 KTM 200SX
2004 KTM 65SX Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 86.66 Kb