Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Been stopped as a learner?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Killer Rat
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 16 Jun 2010    Post subject: Been stopped as a learner? Reply with quote

2 weeks OTR and no police check yet (not that i'm doing anything illegal)
Is there a record on here for the length of time till first check?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 16 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been driving 8 years riding 7 never been pulled not even a routine checkpoint. Its not that common to be pulled if you are a sensible rider/driver. I can and do 'make progress' just at the right times!
HTH
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 16 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stopped 2 or 3 times a week every week. Because I had a nickable bike (KMX 125) and my shift co-incided with chucking out time at the local pubs. I thought this would stop when I lost my L plates, and it didn't. Changing bikes seemed to though.

Never been stopped much since, bar a couple of times when I was actually doing something warranting a ticking off. Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 16 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pretty 'Random' occurrence.

These days they're not allowed to 'Hassle' you like they did when I was a teen-ager; but that was back in the days when the provincial 'turbnip-tops' used to watch 'The Sweenie' as an instructional program!

Bit different these days, they have codes of conduct, guidelines and lessons in 'how to talk to the public'... aparently 'Oi Sonny, your NICKED' is a 'banned' phrase!

Used to get iot a lot when I were a lad though!

Mind, did rather...err... pig-off one of the village coppas!

Back then, it wasn't illegal to ride on waste ground.... well it was, but unless the land-owner made a complaint, they couldn't do much, and even then, it came under 'trespass' and the best they could do was ask you to move along......

Which was when they'd do you.... having told you to move along, they'd nick you as soon as you touched tyre to public highway....

Becouse of course we weren't old enough to ride on the roads, or have bikes that had such niceties as tax, insurance, MOT, or brakes!

I was riding my comp-trials bike about on a bit of waste land near my grans; got the 'Move along sonny' bit from Sean of the Dead shaded sweenie wannabee.....
asked "Why?"
"Cos I bludy told you to, THATS why!"
"Have you recieved a complaint, officer?"
(I was about forteen!)
"Now dont give me none of that, OPPIT"
"Well if you haven't recieved a complaint, officer, I dont see any reason why I NEED to"
"Look, I'll be coming back this way in ten minutes, if your still here I'll have you down the station!"
"Really officer? On what charge?"
"Look, just PISS off home, and take that bike with you"
So I rode off. Spotted the 'jam-sandwich' pull off and park up a lane opposite my grand, WAITING for me to ride the bike back to the house......
So I didn't.
I pushed it the 30yds or so up the footpath.
But THEN I had to cross the road......
Squeel of tyre spin, sideways Cortina, squeel of brakes...
Door fly's open....
"Right Sonny Your NICKED!" (told you, Sweenie, they had it word for word, complete with stunt driving manouveres!... wheel-spin, sideways slew, AND screach to a halt ALL in teh space of 50yaards.... think he must have got that one from the Proffessionals..... probably spent off duty time practicing in his wife's Alegro!)
"What seems to be the problem Officer?"
"YOU! Your NICKED!"
"What for officer?"
He pointed at the bike.
I looked at the bike, looked at him, in feined puzzlement
"Sorry Officer, AM I doing something wrong?"
"Thought you were clever pushing it up the pavement, didn't you... but your on the ROAD now sonny..... Tax? MOT, Insurance, lets 'av-em then!"
"Sorry officer, I dont know what you mean?"
"alright, smart arse, Road Traffic Act, ANY motor-vehicle, on the public highway HAS to 'av Tax, Insurance & if applicable... an MOT, and you ent gone nun, 'av you?"
"No Officer, I dont..... but this isn't a motor-vehicle"
Copper paused a moment, looked at the bike.

It was a comp-trials bike. Looked like a regular motorbike, but didn't have any lights or anything, being a comper.

It DID, when I bought it, though have a number-plate and a just expired 'Day-Light' MOT, but without the Reg-Plate, he'd have had a heck of a job cheking it was on DVLA data-base (before the days of the PNC and radio links!) And he'd have had to do it from finding the frame number, hidden under the plastic on the front and a lot of mud! So I was REASONABLY confident I could 'Blag' this one... and I'd already figured he wasn't the brightest copper in the piggy-bank!

"What you mean!" laugh "Just seen you beedin ridin' the ruddy thing!"
"Ah, YES, officer. Of course. But THIS is an 'Agricultural Impliment, NOT a motor-vehicle"
"Same Bludy Difference. Got an engine, turns the wheels"
"Ah, well, officer, I think that you'll fine there IS a difference, an 'agricultural vehicle, used within the proximity of the farm, does NOT require tax or MOT, and besides, THIS piece of 'agricultural machinary, does NOT, have the capability to be self propelled."
"DONT get Smart with ME sonny, I'm a Coppa, I THINK I might just know a thing or two about the law, dont you?"
"I think that we are discovering the answer to that one Officer, but anyway..... there is no mechanism for drive between the engine and the wheels. This is as much a motorvehicle as a wheel-barrow or lawn-mower... would I need tax or MOT or insurance if I was pushing a wheel-barrow, officer?"
"Course you bludy wouldn't, but THAT ent a wheel-barrow, its a MOTORBIKE!"
"Only if it can drive the wheels officer, and it cant."
I pointed to the rear wheel, where I had slipped the drive chain, AND removed it.
He looked at the space where the chain should have been for a few moments...... then at me...... then back at the chain.... or lack there-of.....
"Ok, smart-arse... where is it?"
"Where's what, Officer?"
"The Chain, in your pocket is it? Still got it, so it has the capability to be driven, so its a motorbike, no argumen about it"
"I wouldn't know officer, I seem to have lost it...... may I cross the road with my wheel-barrow now?"
"No you bludy can't! wheres that chain? I'll search you if I have to!"
"Oh! OK. Buit you do realise you need Just Cause, officer, and you've realised I AM a minor, so you'll have to take me to the station and call for a responsibel adult before you can search OR question me....... and what would you like me to do with the wheel-barrow, before we leave.... I can HARDLY leave it here on the pavement, can I.... "
"Alright Smar-Arse, I ent got time for all this shit, piss off home and dont let me catch you again, or you wont be so lucky!"

Tried solidly for four and ahalf years to nick me that bobby! Never bludy did! He ALMOST did it two years later.... but THAT'S another story!

When I was at Uni, I used to get stopped a lot. AR125 on 'L's normally though for having a blown tail-lamp bulb! For some reason it seemed to eat them.

If you dont ride in a way thatdraws attension though, or have a bike that looks like it needs some, they tend to leave you alone.

https://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/030_013_BlackDog/DAWG_01.jpg

That was what my current bike looked like about five years ago when I first went and got it.

Think I was stopped about three times in a week! All with the same question, "What we got here then? This thing taxed?"

https://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/030_013_BlackDog/DAWG_02.jpg

Two weeks later, and not a tug since!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 17 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pulled over about a week after passing my CBT for pulling out on a copper who was rushing to get to hospital from an RTA, i thought i had plenty of room and as it was dark i couldnt see it was a copper.

I heard him screech to a halt and as i had pulled to the side of the road to wait for my mate, felt this copper grab me on the shoulder and told me to get off the bike.

Upon noticing it was a copper i promptly shat myself and he said that if he wasnt on his way to the hospital he would be arresting me for dangerous driving and getting my bike crushed and license torn up.

Told him that i was sorry and it wouldnt happen again and he fucked off to wherever he was going, i was ready to jack bikes in altogether after that, only didnt as i still had 3 years finance to pay off so thought i may aswell stick at it.

Never been pulled since then. Been followed a few times with small plate and an open zorst but not stopped. Lucky me!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 17 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years driving, 8 months riding and not been pulled over. I dont want to risk it by saying "yet" at the end of that sentence. Knowing my luck i'll get stopped everywhere I go tomorrow and over the weekend!
____________________
Theory test - 19/8/09, CBT - 11/10/09, MOD 1 - 16/8/10, MOD 2 - 27/10/10
Past rides Yamaha XT125X, Triumph TT600, Honda XR250
Current rides Suzuki GSXR 600, Honda MSX125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hazzern
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 18 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 16 on L plates since christmas, havent been pulled over and I'm in London, though my mate was having had his ped for 3 weeks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding more than 2 years now and was finally stopped due to a lack of MOT last week. If you're sensible you shouldn't get pulled over.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 19 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding for a year and stopped twice for speeding - 70 in a 40 both times apparently.
Never been done, always been let off.

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 19 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years of biking, and never been pulled.

19 years previous to that on 4 wheels, and only ever been pulled twice for random spot checks
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Notj7
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 21 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dunkable wrote:
Riding for a year and stopped twice for speeding - 70 in a 40 both times apparently.
Never been done, always been let off.

Dunc


How did you get away with it? Exactly WHAT did you say? I'd like to know for next time Razz
____________________
Left the forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 21 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got off the bike, took the helmet off, handed him the license, called him officer, never admitted ANYTHING and just mentioned that i was concentratng on watching the road as it's a friday night near closing time at the pubs and anyone could stumble out onto the road rather than looking down at my speedo...

He just said that if someone fell out and i couldn't avoid them, that'd be me... and he would be the one scraping me off the road.

So he told me to keep to the speed limit, and make sure i didn't do it again.

the second time i followed the same drill, apart from the friday night bit.

Just got to be polite, if you make their job easier they'll make it easier for you.

Dunc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly 3 years riding and never been pulled.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

675Rusty
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 21 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding since last August, been pulled over once and that was last month.

I went to Tesco at 10pm on a Saturday to get some food, 50cc 2 stroke, L-Plates, 16 years old and no mirrors doing constant shoulder checks seemed suspicious to them so they pulled me.

I was polite, gave them all my details and even had a chat about bikes and then he let me on my way.
____________________
Current Bike - 2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TCGS
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 22 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends where you drive.

Both bikes I've had have had pillion on most of the time. So, this increases the pulling over rate because they want to know if you are insured to ride pillion (both bikes = yes)

Last bike I had I done almost 4000 miles on in about 8 months and got pulled over once.


My current bike I've had since new and done 450 miles. I've been pulled over twice.


BUT, my 1st bike I hardly ever drove into central London, and this bike it's an almost daily occurrence now.

Makes sense though. Central London = more cars & people = more police = more pulling over.


My point is.

If you live in Yorkshire on a farm and your most frequent trip is to the local village shop, you probably will never be pulled over. If you live in some big city with high crime & stuff, you're lucky if you don't get pulled at least once a year I would say.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 22 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been pulled twice? Once my RS50 doing 36mph in a 30 zone at about 11pm.

Apparently a lot of them had been 'nicked' recently? (Are there that many 2005 RS50s around? Confused.)

Told me to slow down a bit and sent me on my way.

Second time was just to check I was the owner of the bike! Laughing.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr125x2011
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 22 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

never been pulled over, riding a year now with L's, been folowed by a car a few times though.
____________________
Previous: Gilera RCR50 2s banger ><
Current:Yamaha WR125X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Glenben92
Nearly there...



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:32 - 01 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled over once when first passed my CBT, bout a fortnight after passing actually. apparently some cock on a similar bike had been throwing golf balls at passing cars Shocked i was pulled over and met with "i've pulled you over for the damage you've caused to this lady's car" to which my reply was (probably wasn't the best thing to say) "erm... i don't think so like, innocent until proven guilty? i've just left the house!" and the stupid cow who was "victimised" didn't even realise that i was a completely different person on a different bike with a bright blue helmet (only one in the area, and a noticable feature) and she then proceeded to try and have an argument with me! the cheek of it! she got something along the lines of "here, it wasn't me like, look at the bit, clothes, helmet, and don't talk to me like shit when i'm innocent" at which point she was ferried back to her car to calm down by the copper. after a quick insurance check etc. they decided to let me go because they had CCTV evidence of it happening, that relieved me A LOT. "phew, they'll have a much harder job stitching me up when they have to hide some evidence" anyway, that was over a year ago and i've never been stopped since Smile even with L's. although i'm riding a cruiser style 125 now, so don't expect to be noticed too much. sorry for the life story, second post on these forums and both of them have been bloody massive Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mord
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:36 - 01 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been stopped Thumbs Up I guess I've never given coppers any excuse to stop me. But also maybe because Northamptonshire Police is fairly sensible and they don't stop people for no reason Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Killer Rat
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 01 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dunkable wrote:
Got off the bike, took the helmet off, handed him the license, called him officer, never admitted ANYTHING and just mentioned that i was concentratng on watching the road as it's a friday night near closing time at the pubs and anyone could stumble out onto the road rather than looking down at my speedo...

He just said that if someone fell out and i couldn't avoid them, that'd be me... and he would be the one scraping me off the road.

So he told me to keep to the speed limit, and make sure i didn't do it again.

the second time i followed the same drill, apart from the friday night bit.

Just got to be polite, if you make their job easier they'll make it easier for you.

Dunc


That is a thing of beauty and has been committed to my aging memory just in case a line like that is needed.

Nearly stopped yesterday. I have to drive through the A419 (affectionatley known as birdlip, glos) every frigging day some lorry will break down on the main single carriageway, instead of pulling off at a side road if they know they can't make the hill.
Anyway, i decided to filter on the left mini hard shoulder of the static traffic in front of me as whitelining the middle is just too dangerous on this road. I've seen bikers before do this on this particular stretch and thought nothing of it.
Got to the back of the foremost lorry and got waved thorugh by the fuzz, luckily.
It was only when i chatted to a friend about this that he said this was illegal (using hard shoulder) to which i responded that none of this was covered in my CBT, if i was to get pulled that day this would have been my excuse as i was none the wiser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

russeleoin
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 01 Jul 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been stopped twice, once in car: was on my way back home after the specialist advanced driving course. He asked why I was weaving all over the road, I showed my fancy new certificate and advised I was just practicing the " make full use of the road space available" point( the road was empty except for the two of us). He said okay and let me off. After checking I handnt been drinking.
On the bike, for what I thought was no reason. Said he wanted to see my licence, so I showed him and we then went into debate on Zimbabwean to British licence transfer. It was a long discussion, I was polite and said I had already complained to DVLA as I did have 2 wheels when I arrived in the UK, but it was removed after my last house move. DVLA said they no longer recognised the Zim bit, but If I sent in my Zim licence they would reinstate it. Anyway, that aint gonna happen, cos my Zim licence probably does not exist any more and they are not likley to issue a duplicate.
He let me off and I am on 2 wheels every day now, with CBT only.
____________________
I love classic merc's but bikes take up less space.
Current ride is a Yamaha YB 100 and I love it! Oooow and now a running GPZ400R!
Next stop, Direct Access hopefully by the end of summer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 125.76 Kb