Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Old Guy, New Biker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Computageek
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Old Guy, New Biker Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've not been on a bike since I crashed in 1991. At the time, I could ride any 125cc motorcycle and CBT was unheard of.

Since my son has bought his Aprilia RS125 (see Workshop section for this saga), I have decided that I'd quite like a bike to potter about on.

My licence says that I have Provisional Entitlement for Motorcycles, so I guess I can jump on any 125cc Bike (with L Plates of course). As far as I know, I should not be restricted to this 11bhp nonsense? Right?

thanks
Pete..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Old Guy, New Biker Reply with quote

Computageek wrote:
I've not been on a bike since I crashed in 1991. At the time, I could ride any 125cc motorcycle and CBT was unheard of.

Strange, it was introduced in 1990 Smile

If it's a provisional licence you've got, you're restricted to 11kW, which is just under 15hp.

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Old Guy, New Biker Reply with quote

Computageek wrote:
Hi All,

I've not been on a bike since I crashed in 1991. At the time, I could ride any 125cc motorcycle and CBT was unheard of.

Since my son has bought his Aprilia RS125 (see Workshop section for this saga), I have decided that I'd quite like a bike to potter about on.

My licence says that I have Provisional Entitlement for Motorcycles, so I guess I can jump on any 125cc Bike (with L Plates of course). As far as I know, I should not be restricted to this 11bhp nonsense? Right?

thanks
Pete..


As far as I'm aware, No.....

back in 1990 you weren't allowed to ride anything with more than 12bhp either..... why should you now?

BIKE must be 'Learner-Legal', which means be beneath the specified capacity and power limits.

And YES you do have provisional Motorcycle entitlement on your licence BUT it is only 'VALIDATED' when you have completed a CBT course, and been awareded a cirtificate.

Its NO different to when you got your provisional licence, when the entitlement was valid for ONLY two years.

There are a couple of caveots, clauses and loop-holes, BUT.....

Go do a CBT course.

You haven't been on a bike for nearly twenty years, and the last time you were, you just admitted you crashed!

JUST start over, like you dont know nothing, and do some training!

You'll probably learn a heck of a lot, and even if you dont, you wont have any arguments with discrguntled coppas or insurance companies over the loop-holes or anything, and it WILL get you on the right track to progress if you want to.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Computageek
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 25 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Old Guy, New Biker Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Computageek wrote:
I've not been on a bike since I crashed in 1991. At the time, I could ride any 125cc motorcycle and CBT was unheard of.

Strange, it was introduced in 1990 Smile

If it's a provisional licence you've got, you're restricted to 11kW, which is just under 15hp.

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568



Ah, I crashed in 1991, but was riding since 1988. Seems I may have been riding a year too long anyway......oooops.!

CBT, here I come I guess. @RSE! £100 to learn nothing Crying or Very sad

Maybe Direct Access will lessen the pain. As I'm rather lots over 21, I'll not be restricted to 34hp if I understand this correctly from my Son.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gfiandy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it go direct access. You will probably enjoy the CBT anyway and if you do A Direct Access course they usually cover all of it in less than a day so you can get on with learing to ride.

I actually envy you learning it was one of the most enjoyable things I have done especially if you get a good group. Although I was completly exhaused at the end of each day.

I did it a while ago having only ever ridden 50cc Honda Melody. I did a "crash" course in 2.5 days. You can't do this any more which is probably a good thing as whilst I passed first time I didn't really know how to ride properly.

Best of luck.
Andy
____________________
ANDY
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.73 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.34 Kb