Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


An "Oh shit" moment

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ScramUK
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: An "Oh shit" moment Reply with quote

Hey guys. Just thought i'd tell you about my little episode today and maybe you guys could tell me whats happening with my bike.

When I was riding home today, I am riding down the road I always ride down, nice long twisty S-bends. Sublime.

Today however, no so good. I tear into the corners at my usual speed, hung off and accelerating through, I take the left bend fine, then when i turn right, I do the same... shifting my body over to the right before leaning the bike in that direction.

Problem is, as I hit the apex it felt like the front end just wanted to drop. And this was at 80 + mph (i dont really know what speed I was doing), and with the bike nicely leant over. The front end started weaving, while I was still at lean. I needed to complete the turn before straightening up so I just continued making the turn, trying to keep control of the bars as they go left,right,left,right,left,right (not tank slapping). When I straighten up all is good again.The road was incredibly smooth, so I can rule out pot holes and bumps.

I have on occasions noticed that when I turn right on my motorcycle it seems to want to drop down. I don't know whats up with that. Turning left is fine, and silky smooth however. The tyres i'm using are fairly old and i'm sure it's them to blame, but I just wanted to make sure that it's not something else at fault.

Thoughts?

Could I have gone off the edge of the tyre?
____________________
Currently riding :
1997 Honda CBR600F3


Last edited by ScramUK on 00:28 - 27 Jun 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:28 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably take a pop at the tyres too.. uneven wear? odd lumps in them? There is an odd tyre wear phenomenon.. happened on my dads bike.. it somehow wore down on some bits.. but not on others.. due to previously being slightly deflated..
____________________
A2 Passed 18/6/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your forks and headstock bearings out.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScramUK
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... Yeah the tyres are really old. They're the original Pilot roads i got with the motorcycle when it had 15k on the clock (has 24k now)

I just wanted to rule out things like gone bearings.
____________________
Currently riding :
1997 Honda CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

theopj
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres tend to wear more on the right side due to the camber of the roads, most people corner faster going right as you can see more, and roundabouts etc. Post a pic of your tyre maybe?
____________________
Suzuki Bandit SA 1250 & Honda CB750F2T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScramUK
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:26 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Not entirely sure what can be seen here. One thing that's noticable is that there is a line going around the circumferance of my tyre. Dunno what's causing that, its on the rear aswell.

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/Macca1088/tyre.jpg
____________________
Currently riding :
1997 Honda CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dipsy2
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Dipsy2 on 15:03 - 01 Aug 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ScramUK
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
Quote:
They're the original Pilot roads i got with the motorcycle when it had 15k on the clock (has 24k now)


9k miles on a set of tyres on a 600.

Rolling Eyes



....Point. Yeah I can see that my tyres are slightly out of shape / flatter on the right side.
____________________
Currently riding :
1997 Honda CBR600F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
Quote:
They're the original Pilot roads i got with the motorcycle when it had 15k on the clock (has 24k now)


9k miles on a set of tyres on a 600.

Rolling Eyes


And?
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 27 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
Confused there is no and, im not questioning that hes lying.

it was more a wow, that someone actualy managed that on tyres that arnt made of plastic


Pretty sure people have done plenty more, and on bigger bikes Laughing


It just depends on the rider really.

TBH, can't say I've ever had more than 4k or so.

On the NC30 I was getting roughly 1-2k on the rear before there was no rubber left Laughing
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 69.27 Kb